Theatre Criticism (1 Viewer)

niteshade1312

HSC
I have just handed in my drafts for Theatre Criticism and are really happy about how they are looking and going.

I was wondering how have other people set theirs out adn what plays did you end up reviewing, out of curiosity?

lozzytozzy

HSC
N/A
hey i've set them out like actual reviews innewspapers.
and I'm reviewing The Sapphires. Strangers in Between, the Drowned World and Grazing the Phosphorous..likely to change
what are you doing?

niteshade1312

HSC
I've done Strangers in Between and Love: A Multiple Choice Question (both at Griffin), Black Medea (Belvoir) and Old Times (STC).

I really have to edit them because they are all in layout and what not, but a lot of my actual writing is all over teh place. At least they are done, I just need to tear them apart now!

bridgy

HSC
I've done 'We Will Rock You', 'The Chairs' (Belvoir st.), 'Terminus ( Darlo), 'The Real Thing'. I'm from Port Macquarie so it was really hard to get to anywhere with a theatre to see something to review. I did Terminus and Chairs in a rip to Sydney adn We Will Rock You last year when our school went to see it. The Real Thing is just a piece of community theatre but its a Tom Stoppard play. Do u think We Will Rock You and The Real Thing will be a hiderance? I've basically finished all of them but they are a bit long. The marking criteria says that it has to be 800 wds and overly long submissions will be penalised. Does anyone have an idea as to what is acceptable word length without being penalised?

niteshade1312

HSC
Yeah I was wondering that because Ive noticed Im under because I like to make everything really concise and actually can't cut dowbn. If you are about maybe 30 words each way, you probabaly will be ok, but stick to the limit. Its already a lot fo flexibility they ahev given us.. which reminds me, I better go adn fix mine now :S

bridgy

HSC
30 gah! mine are from 900 to 1200 wds. I realise thats too long but its so hard to say everything u wanna say in 800 wds. Plus ur supposed to include so much about the text's impact, technical stuff and acting as well as a message on the piece and its impact. Oh well i'll jsut ahv to cut a couple of paragraphs or sumthin. I've got one my teach says is perfect and its 1000 wds so i dont know wat to cut and if i cut stuff if thats gunna mean that im not fulfilling the criteria. Ok enough whinging.

niteshade1312

HSC
you will definately have to cut a heap, because part of the IP is being able to handle the word limit and not to mention we are already given much flexibility with 800 words while most reviews only have about 400.

sascha_ryner

HSC
theatre crit

hey everyone, just seeing what were your final choices for your reviews before finally handing them in. I did old times, the spook, the memory of water and the violet hour. In retrospect, I don't know how great these choices were but what can you do :S

sascha_ryner

HSC
haha hey! for old times i wrote how it used absurdist conventions but it wasnt an absurdist play, so i focussed on pinter and how the director changed things, and then i focussed particularly on staging and all that

niteshade1312

HSC
sounds good to me! I think i ended up writing about the nature of the writing and message it was protraying through staging, the characters of Deeley, Kate and Anna and something else but i can't remember.. it looked good in layout though!

sascha_ryner

HSC
wow that sounds really good. that was a confusing play to get my head around i really had to think about it, then i went on to ramble about past and present blurring for the ending. i cant remember. it was the worst review out of them if i had to order them :S

niteshade1312

HSC
yeah me too. It was the review that started really badly, and then a few nights before hand in I rewrote the whole thing and took a different perspective to my others. I still can't really remember when I wrote, when i do, ill tell you!

monsters

HSC
The Removalists, The Pig Iron People and Complete Works of William Shakespeare (abridged) :)

Wondering whether I should review some local theatre instead of always going into Sydney?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)