Theatre Design (1 Viewer)

Kolya

HSC
My eventual aim is to work my way into lighting design...but I can't find any uni's that offer courses in theatre design...or even majors in it. Help much appreciated

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
The two university courses I know of are:

@ Charles Sturt: Design For Theatre & Television

@ University of Wollongong: B Creative Arts (Performance)

I'm doing the latter, and I specified to them that I wanted to do the production side of the course. Charles Sturt is good as well, and I was accepted, though it didn't let me do a double degree, which is why I choose Wollongong.

There are also courses available at NIDA, WAAPA, and a few others. However, these are not university courses, and thus, and usually more expensive.

Kolya

HSC
Sweet thanks...I've applied at a few private theatre colleges but in case they don't go down

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
No worries. There may be more, but they were the best two I found last year when I was doing my application.

Lamoo

Renegade Onion
HSC
as far as double degrees and CSU goes:

It's not technically called a double degree like the Tv production/multimedia thing is, but you can do four years and come away with two degrees if you're doing Design for theatre and tv.

You have to pick an elective every semester on top of your regular design classes, and if you continue with the same elective stream all the way through (eg, tv production or grahpic design) you just do a fourth year of just those subjects once you've finished your design stuff and you come away with two degrees. It just depends what you want your other degree to be in, because you're restricted to humanities or School of Visual and Performing arts subjects.

Wouldnt recomment csu if lighting is all you want to do though, because the course covers all the elements of theatre design (plus stage management, production etc). If lighting is all you want to do, maybe look at tafe courses.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Wouldnt recomment csu if lighting is all you want to do though, because the course covers all the elements of theatre design (plus stage management, production etc). If lighting is all you want to do, maybe look at tafe courses.
That said, one of the major strengths of Australian Theatre Workers is that most are multi skilled, across different areas. Hence, why in order to compete, it is a good idea to have versatile knowledge of the industry.

Lamoo

Renegade Onion
HSC
That said, one of the major strengths of Australian Theatre Workers is that most are multi skilled, across different areas. Hence, why in order to compete, it is a good idea to have versatile knowledge of the industry.
Absolutely! Just saying dont get disappointed when you end up sewing and painting rather than rigging lights.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
One good course is VET Entertainment.

I've done up to Cert III and am fully qualified to run a show in most facets of theatre.

I've been the main Audio Tech/Engineer/Designer, Stage Manager, Production Manager, Lighting Tech and FOH manager.

All with a Cert III XD.

Lamoo

Renegade Onion
HSC
my school didnt offer Entertainment unfortunately, but I've heard some very good things about it.

I think the thing is with theatre related courses, is that you can learn so, so much regardless of what the title of your course is (ie, degree or certificate etc) but it all depends on whether or not you have the opportunity to work in head roles on actual productions. (Not sweeping the stage like entertainment students I've met.). You learn more by being sat down in front of a lighting desk with a manual and time to play with it than you ever will from a teacher.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
my school didnt offer Entertainment unfortunately, but I've heard some very good things about it.

I think the thing is with theatre related courses, is that you can learn so, so much regardless of what the title of your course is (ie, degree or certificate etc) but it all depends on whether or not you have the opportunity to work in head roles on actual productions. (Not sweeping the stage like entertainment students I've met.). You learn more by being sat down in front of a lighting desk with a manual and time to play with it than you ever will from a teacher.
True to an extent.

The problem with ento students is that they don't realize that you have to be assertive, much more than in any job you've held - most likely. You must prove yourself to the teacher in order to get the better tasks and work placement opportunities or you'll end up getting the floor sweeping and stagehand jobs.

Same thing applies for in the industry.

I think you can still do VET Ent through TAFE.

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)