Theatre of Cruelty... Help? (1 Viewer)

Cool-Kipper

HSC
Hey, I'm in Year 11 and my class is doing a research assignment on Antonin Artaud's Theatre of Cruetly.

Does any one have any idea how i'm suposed to "design a performance task for the class related to theatre of cruetly"?

In fact if any one has any good information about using/ applying this acting style i'd appreciate it.

Thank you

Serenade...

HSC
Hey I presented a workshop in yr 11 (currently in yr 12) on this. I'm also using it as part of my director folio. Okay pretty much, Artuad believed that society's view of reality was fake, and wanted to present them with the ugly and grotesque in order to shock this out of them. He was therefore 'cruel' to the audience. We ( I did with a friend of mine) wrote separate essays, made a summary of the theatre of cruelty on a sheet and made the class do a few activities (it was an assessment). The activities pretty much have to shock the actors out of their comfort zone. For example (don't copy) we got them to read a poem about noise as loud as they can, then asked them to act it out without speaking. We also got them to recite a rap song in the style of Shakespearean theatre, and vice versa. Here are some good website:

www.antoninartaud.org/home.html
www.angistyka.uw.edu.pl/shared/handouts/cruelty.htm
www.strangemusic.com/philostone_cruelty.htm
http://www.shadowhousepits.com.au/workshop.htm

also check wikipedia and answers.com

Hope this helps. Good luck and God bless.

:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)