Themes and issues in SPEECHES (1 Viewer)

pocohantas

ok i have been scared of this module all yr, until i recently decided it wasnt so bad....appart from taking me 3 days to organize and write sufficiant notes on each speech,,,but now i have come to the part in my 'study reigime' where i am supposed to come up with a whole bunch of themes, broad titles....etc which i work evidence quotes, ideas into.....but what the hell kind of themes are in speeches....???
all i have are things like...
what makes a good speech
do speeches have a used by date
language
ideals
etc
etc
its so frusterating...
what kind of order is everyone sorting there speeches notes into....so as it can be made into a goood essay????

any help would be muuuuuuch appreciated :)

camby

HSC
ch', seems like not many people do this module, lucky them i say. Unfourtunatly for us though, we still have to do it :(

Well, we have been told to know 3-4 speeches really well and be able to connect them together by either context or ideas. Freedom in general is the main theme throughout ALL the speeches so its easy to ramble about, and context is very important to focus on which relats to your "do texts have a use by date?"

But, this module is a load of shit, there is just way too much to know. If they weren't allowed to specify a speech it would be fine, its the fact that out of 80 pages of writing that can home in on one specific speech and ask you the most random question about it, "what was in Mary McAleese's pocket?"...

Yeah, so...hmmm... im not much of a "note organizer"...i have piles :( hahaha Seems to be working fine but im more of a maths person, not english.

townie

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
i find the best way is to just annotate the text so it is completley burried in notes and highlighted bits, i havent even thought about linking my speeches yet, i hate this topic, it's way to much 2 know, i'm just praying they dont specify.

but yeah, a lot of speeches have Freedom as a theme (MLK and Lincoln being obvious, but also McAlleese) linked to freedom is freedom of speech such as McAlleese, Socrates (i think), Levertov.

And another big one is peace i think like Keating, Lincoln, Havel.

SuperCoolLoz

Okey dokey heres what ive got for themes:
Australian
-Pearson
-Keating

Feminism/women
-Atwood
Suu Kyi

Justice
-Socrates
-Goldman
-Cicero
-LutherKing
-McAleese
-Pearson
-Lincoln

Freedom
-McAleese
-Suu Kyi
-Havel
-Levertov
-LutherKing
-Goldman
-Licoln

War
-Goldman
-Lincoln
-Keating
-LutherKing
-Levertov
-McAlesse

Morals
-McAleese
-Pearson
-Havel
-Atwood
-Lutherking
-Goldman
-Socrates
-Lincoln
-Cicero

I also looked at 'local issues' and 'racism'

and im with you...i hope they dont specify

goonbag

the freedom of the individual vs the freedom of the community. Socrates is fighting for the freedom of the individual, Cicero for the freedom of the community, Vaclav Havel for the community, and Margaret Atwood, who knows what the fuck shes on about............

7bonita7

Firstly grouping speeches is important.

Speaking to the People: Lincoln and Keating
On Trial: Socrates and Goldman
The Lawyer and the Preacher: Cicero and King
Exclusion and Inclusion: Pearson and Suu Kyi
Finding the Balance: McAleese and Levertov and Havel
Women in Literature: Atwood and (Pearson)

now if there in this grouping system you can easily pull ideas off each one.
eg. Lincoln and Keating, you know they are both leaders of their country concecrating those who died in war. see easy, both speeches run along same lines.
Socrates and Goldman, they are both on trial. again, this is easy as when on trial you give the best evidence you can for them not to persecute you right? well thats what they did.
Women in Literature, Atwood is speaking to a highly academic group of people which firstly indicates the style of her language and also indicates what she will be talking about literature. i have placed pearson kind of in thsi category due to the fact that he is speaking to an elite group also who is very familiar with the issues surrounding his talk.

so run one off the other and it doesnt seem so daunting. need anymore help samantha_11may@hotmail.com

morgue

What can I link 4 the speeches of Keating, King, Suu Kyi & Socrates? :(

welshi

Clearly unemployed again.
HSC
i know all the speeches fairly superficially. if i were to pick four or five to know fairly in-depth...in 36 hours...taking into account my study for neddy and transformations...which would u recommend?

badass2193

hughbowen
HSC
Does any1 know any values that are embedded in Socrates Speech??? I got no idea!!

badass2193

hughbowen
HSC
Socrates Values!

Does any1 know any values embedded within Socrates speech???? I got no idea!!!

alexi13715

Speeches

Im so angry at my school for choosing speeches as our elective!!

Values in Socrates speech..hmmm..
I think he values freedom of speech, justice ... stuff like that.

Basically I think we should all stop stressing about stupid Speeches cause its there anyway and if they choose an obscure speech like pearson or atwood then were all screwed together (except the randoms who studied those in depth by chance).

So I wish everyone the best of luck and don't worry in 24 hours well never have to know about speeches every again. In fact WE WILL NEVER DO ENGLISH AGAIN YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Sarah_Lou

hsc ova
HSC
lol, i studied atwood in depth! atwood and socrates are my main two that i know VERY well.

i should learn some others, hey!!!!!!! lol
i know most of them generally, im just praying that they dont specify like in our trial!

d_a_n_z

HSC
Can someone answer what on earth is going on with Cicero? His speech is filled with numbers....!!!!

(eagerly anticipates coming home at 1130 2moz and tearing up all the speeches!!)

Mini Meiser

HSC
Speackes

I dont think they will specify a speech, but rather say pick a couple (2) and answer a question. Choosing one for us to do is too mean!

i am kiss

Either talk about

Peace and War
Keating -
Lincoln -

or perhaps

Freedom of Speech.
Goldman -
Ann Sun Sui Kyi -

either way i think the techniques and how the language shapes meaning is more important than the values they put forth

Cumulation, Repition, Enumeration
Pathos, Egos, Logos

that sort of stuff, either way as someone in my year said
"dont worry, if you fail there is always apprentaships"
Of course i dont personnally want to get paid that poorly,

evette13

HSC
Okay im hoping no atwood because...hers isnt really a structured speech ay? so not learning her, she doesnt comnect that well with anyone else anyway. They will have to do someone who connects well with themes...Keating? King? Suu Kyi? they all have like universal themes

Born Dancer

I can't go for that
HSC
evette13 said:
Okay im hoping no atwood because...hers isnt really a structured speech ay? so not learning her, she doesnt comnect that well with anyone else anyway. They will have to do someone who connects well with themes...Keating? King? Suu Kyi? they all have like universal themes
the beauty of atwood's speech, being so postmodern is that you can take it and contrast it with something which is the complete opposite. in comparing speeches we dont have to match up speeches of the same values and attitudes, those with different make a more interesting comparison sometimes :rolleyes:

Edit - dont disregard atwood, hers is one of the closest to today's context, its possible we could be specified hers

Last edited:

physician

Some things never change.
HSC
My guess is there gonna specify a theme rather than a specific speech, so in other words they're gonna indirectly specify, my guess is Feminism!!!

for example the CSSA trial specified an Australian, it didnt specifically say Keating or Pearson but obviously u had to do either, so i would think femenism would not be too harsh or too specific, leaving us with the option to choose between 2 or 3 speeches.......hmmmmmmmmmm!

I guess only time will tell, anywas im leaving this question till the end in the exam, Its easier to ramble at the end of an exam, I'll do transformations and powerplay first!

well........... Good luck, and dont worry, If they do specify just remeber, everyone doing thiselective for module B across the state will be as put off as u are (unless of course its one u've concetrated on, then u can laugh at everyoneelse...muhahahahaha)

Best of Luck...

*Goes back to study adv. english for the last time in like... Everrrrrrrrr*....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)