Themes in Suu Kyi's speech? (1 Viewer)

Smile1

HSC
Anyone have good information regarding the themes evident in Suu Kyi's speech.
I have women's rights/roles, peace and tolerance.
Any notes, links or suggestion will be greatly appreciated :).
Thanks

HSC
women's rights/roles, peace and tolerance.
Please avoid these in speeches - this an an oversimplification of the notions of Module B. Whilst it is clear that Suu Kyi talks about the themes of peace, tolerance and women's right, you're not really addressing what all these factors add up to.

A bit confusing I know, but you cannot link speeches just by the criteria that they have minor themes in common. It's about the overall picture. What I mean is this:

Sure you can compare/contrast Suu Kyi's speech with Sadat for instance, and talk about how certain themes are alike e.g. tolerance etc. but what you need to realize is the overarching similarities between ALL the speeches are not based minor themes, but one broad subject or idea.

Suu Kyi speech, if you realized is just simply about one thing: image.
It's that straight froward. Yes, she talks about tolerance, and yes she talks about women's rights, but they all are branches to the fact that the archaic (and misogynistic) image of women (as she made clear with her themes of tolerance, and women's rights and copious amount of techniques) needs to be altered to successfully deal with the modern world.

You see, speeches are not all about these little 'themes' - all they do is help embellish and bolster the overarching ideas.

I'm telling you all this because students are frequently unaware - for instance, how often do you hear a students say "Atwood's speech has NOTHING in common with the others?" It's because they are looking at the minor themes. These aren't important - look closer and you see that Atwood talks about the same thing as Suu Kyi, yes, women, but also - image. And its representation in society.

I hoped this helped you

Good luck with your H.S.C :)

btw. Technically, unless your teacher is a genius and has told you, most students don't realize Suu Kyi speech does not have textual integrity.

And also, once again, if interested, I am holding a Creative Writing course at various libraries in march!

Last edited:

Smile1

HSC
Thanks for your help. That has been the best reply I have ever received.
Yes I know, the links it has with other speeches.

But as group work in class we all go in groups of four and are required to analyse the speech and bring in notes. I was given 'content'.

Therefore I thought breaking it up into the three main themes would be easier to present to the class.

& then link them.

Because I know that peace - links to the female (that is what she is trying to say). Etc.

Also knew about textual integrity. All speeches are valued for study today but no textual integrity as they cannot transcend time.

HSC
Thanks for your help. That has been the best reply I have ever received.
Thanks? :)

Because I know that peace - links to the female (that is what she is trying to say). Etc
Er...can you rephrase this? I'll chalk it up to a rushed response, but you can't extrapolate like this. Peace does not link to females, never once does she even state this. She implies that "no war has ever been started by a woman" but you state the concept of peace is intertwined with females - that'll be criticized for extrapolation and will get a -5 to -10 from markers. I think you also presume peace links with women because she criticizes the men through negative associations...don't get conned in by her rhetoric. You're a scholar, not an audience member :)

Also...that isn't Suu Kyi's main point. Take another look at the speech. It'll help.

Also knew about textual integrity. All speeches are valued for study today but no textual integrity as they cannot transcend time.
This is 100% false. Where did you get that assumption? There is one speech that particularly exemplifies the qualities of 'textual integrity'. So I'll let you figure out that one :).

I recommend brushing up on definitions, you really need to know what textual integrity means. Don't underestimate it like other students. A lot of students think they know what 'narrative' means and end up throwing half their marks away.

Last edited:

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
She mentions a lot of notions in a key quote in her speech: "unity, peace, security, human rights and democracy".

Smile1

HSC
I understand that.

I'm only briefly filling you into what I'm writing.

& yes in Suu Kyi's speech peace does link peace to females.

Textual integrity. Explain it please because when I attended an english lecture they also went over this and none of the speeches had integrity only value to study. Teacher who marked HSC last year also said this, along with my tutor and text books... I think I will stick with what the teacher says. As this is not the HSC exam & I'm doing brief explanation for students in class. They can then link it all from there.

Artak

HSC
Hey, i have trouble with english aswell, weve got an assesment coming up and we need to critically analyze two speeches, but contrasting will not be a part of this assesment, howeverwe dont know which two of the 7 speeches studied will be in the assesment! Also got a modern history assesment analyzzing weimar germany from 1918-1933.

snowcone

HSC
N/A
Please avoid these in speeches - this an an oversimplification of the notions of Module B. Whilst it is clear that Suu Kyi talks about the themes of peace, tolerance and women's right, you're not really addressing what all these factors add up to.

A bit confusing I know, but you cannot link speeches just by the criteria that they have minor themes in common. It's about the overall picture. What I mean is this:

Sure you can compare/contrast Suu Kyi's speech with Sadat for instance, and talk about how certain themes are alike e.g. tolerance etc. but what you need to realize is the overarching similarities between ALL the speeches are not based minor themes, but one broad subject or idea.

Suu Kyi speech, if you realized is just simply about one thing: image.
It's that straight froward. Yes, she talks about tolerance, and yes she talks about women's rights, but they all are branches to the fact that the archaic (and misogynistic) image of women (as she made clear with her themes of tolerance, and women's rights and copious amount of techniques) needs to be altered to successfully deal with the modern world.

You see, speeches are not all about these little 'themes' - all they do is help embellish and bolster the overarching ideas.

I'm telling you all this because students are frequently unaware - for instance, how often do you hear a students say "Atwood's speech has NOTHING in common with the others?" It's because they are looking at the minor themes. These aren't important - look closer and you see that Atwood talks about the same thing as Suu Kyi, yes, women, but also - image. And its representation in society.

I hoped this helped you

Good luck with your H.S.C :)

btw. Technically, unless your teacher is a genius and has told you, most students don't realize Suu Kyi speech does not have textual integrity.

And also, once again, if interested, I am holding a Creative Writing course at various libraries in march!
Wait, why doesn't Suu Kyi's speech have textual integrity?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)