These F***ing planet unts (1 Viewer)

will90211

HSC
Hey.

So being a person who is in the education/factually of arts school my option are limited... I hate science and maths to the extent that I didn't take any in year 11 and 12. Maths is slow torture. These planet units are very 'scienncy' imo so i'm in a bind... I need to pick a planet unit for S2 of year 1. I've narrowed it down to:

The Tradition of Science - PHYS242 (ww.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/PHYS242)
IT & Society - ISYS100 (http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/ISYS100)
Science, Society and Environment - SOC254 (http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/SOC254)
Science in the Public Sphere - SCOM100 (http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/SCOM100)

I was orginally going to do my p/p units in second year, but I have my eye on doing http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/AHIS241 or http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/AHIS200 or http://www.handbook.mq.edu.au/2012/Units/UGUnit/MHIS203.

If anyone has done ANY of the above units I would appreciate your thoughts...

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
I've done both Greek Drama and Alexander the Great.

tbh i'm not sure if Greek Drama will run again... David Phillips (the convenor/lecturer/tutor of many greek units at MQ) retired last year and i don't know if they have anyone to take his courses.

If you like greek drama you'll enjoy it, you read all the big names: Euripides, Sophocles, Aristophanes, Aeschylus etc.

Alexander the Great is a very interesting unit which gives you a broad introduction to the Hellenistic period. Chris Forbes is a fantastic academic and is highly animated in his lecture delivery, he's a pretty hard marker though.

will90211

HSC
Once again May Cat you have my thanks... I wonder if i may bore you further? I have no real interest in the Late Antiquity as it doesn't really get a mention in the current and future (national) curriculum. Therefore, my units are geared towards Rome and Greece, where I know they feature heavily. There doesn't appear to be alot of Greece units so I wonder if you could suggest some? Maybe I've just missed them all?

Cheers.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Actually, I would start looking at the in-between periods now (Late Antiquity till the Middle Ages) and any Asia-Pacific history because the new curriculum has folded Egypt, Rome and Greece into a singular study rather than being able to take all three. You will now have to look at Asia, the Ottomans and Pacific history a lot more than previously I suspect.

http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/History/Curriculum/F-10

will90211

HSC
Thanks Aslyum. I didn't have the good sense to look at the K-10 curriculum and I must say, I like it a lot. Where I am impressed is the Modern curriculum. Germany and Communist China/India? I'm in heaven! The French Revo!? It's very nice. Looks like i'll be dipping a few units into Late Antiquity.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Once again May Cat you have my thanks... I wonder if i may bore you further? I have no real interest in the Late Antiquity as it doesn't really get a mention in the current and future (national) curriculum. Therefore, my units are geared towards Rome and Greece, where I know they feature heavily. There doesn't appear to be alot of Greece units so I wonder if you could suggest some? Maybe I've just missed them all?

Cheers.
Yeah, MQ doesn't have quite as much on offer when it comes to Greek history.

'AHIS303 Democracy and Empire: Athens 632-399' was probably the standout Greek course for me - it pretty much covers the content of many of the Greek HSC choices:

- Periklean Athens (society)
- Perikles (Personality)
- Some Xerxes (personality)
- Sparta + Peloponnesian War (society)
- Greek world 446-399 (historical period)
- Greek world 500-440 (historical period)

This doesn't mean that the course is simply rote learning content as it is in the HSC though. It is heavily source based (LOTS of inscriptions) and David demanded a pretty high degree of critical and analytical thinking if you wanted good marks. Again though, i have no idea what's going to happen to this course now that David is gone.

In terms of Late Antiquity, i couldn't recommend 'AHIS120: Antiquities Heirs' more highly. This unit is what first got me interested in Near Eastern history, which i never thought i would be into. The lecturer, Andrew Gillett, is very passionate about the topics and provides extensive support for his students, he really does go above and beyond to make sure you get a good grade.

The unit encourages a more holistic approach to the study of Late Antiquity. Andrew wants students to recognise the wider connections between historical happenings, rather than viewing them as simply part of 'Greek history', or 'Roman history' etc.

This was one of the more full on 100lvl AHIS units, but well worth it. I think it's a people/planet unit as well.

will90211

HSC
Hey May Cat... Antiquity Heris is not offered this year - I asked at my academic advice so I'm rather upset by that.. Seeing as though I have do a bit of Antiquity/East/Islam History it seems odd that they would allow the introductory course to go by the wayside... I notice that mac uni doesn't offer any (as far as i can see) medieval European history

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Ooooh, that's right, Andrew is sick atm, i forgot about that. All his courses will be out of action till he gets better i suppose.

will90211

HSC
Yeah it kinda sucks

EDIT: May Cat would you know when I get to hear Chris Forbes

Last edited:

Salliea

HSC
Hey there~
I've done ISYS100, and I would recommend it. The lecturer has a good sense of humor and captures your attention pretty well. The lecture contents were also pretty basic in terms of computing and most of the this you learn are social issues such as online gambling, hacking etc.

The assignments require some bit of time and most of them are done with group members. Basically you're the assignments require to make a simple website with codes (HTML, Java script and CSS), a presentation and a blog. There's also some in-tutorial tests, but the questions were straight forward as well.

Everyone I know that had taken the course had a great time and also became good friends with their group members. It's also a pretty bulgy and relaxing unit. Don't take it during 3rd session though. Definitely only take it during the normal semesters if you want to have a good time with the subject.

EDIT: Apparently, it's the 2nd most taken planet unit, the first being BIOL206 cause of it's name or something. The lecturer said that a significant amount of students change their planet unit from that one to ISYS100 after the 1st week haha

Last edited:

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
EDIT: May Cat would you know when I get to hear Chris Forbes
Classical Traditions of Thought

Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic Age

New Testament in its Times

Early Christian Literature and Thought

Have only taken Alexander the Great myself, but i've heard good things about all his other units.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)