Thesis Statement - 1 sentence or 2 sentences? (1 Viewer)

SweatyAsian#1

HSC
Stuck between using a 1 sentence thesis or a 2 sentence thesis. Let me explain:

1 sentence Thesis - Pretty much what you think a thesis is; answering questions and integrating question/module keyword words. Bit vague but is very concise. quality > quantity... in a way (no jumping to conclusions JUST yet...)

2 sentence Thesis -
1st sentence = Broad on module + Answering question slightly while using rubric terms and questions words.
2nd Sentence: Expand on my answer + honing in on the question whilst taking on a stance.

Generally, a 1-sentence thesis would definitely be quite long, whereas 2-sentence thesis would only be like 0.5x to 0.75x longer than a 1-sentence thesis in honest opinion.

What thesis strategy would be recommended, any flaws, what do you use?
Thank you!

Last edited:

ghudshifjhwijnc

HSC
N/A
ive always done 1 lol never heard of anyone/a teacher recommending us to do 2

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
Up to you. If the question is quite broad, you could do 2 sentences where the first generally answers the question and the second one could get more specific. Idk doesn’t matter. As long as you answer the q.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
yes that. how did u do that? every time i try to post a link it says You have reached your limit of 0 links per post
You are still a new member/have a low number of messages, while DheerChoudhury has been here since 2019. You should automatically be able to post links within the next few days :)

may22

HSC
Hang on, e.g. from my prelim essay intro (top in class)

"We forge the chains we wear in life."
To what extent does this statement align with your understanding of your prescribed text.

Actions of individuals form the ways in which they develop throughout their lives. (broad opening statement)
They act as both an oppressing and liberating force, with the potential to entrap an individual or free them. (explain further)

If I had that as one sentence, it would
  1. be too long
  2. not flow properly/lack cohesion
  3. not have created the strong effect I intended, pretty much by losing the marker's focus halfway
After that^ in any essay, I would continue by writing down the composer/text, my themes/theses that would be coming up, and ending succinctly with a nice close off sentence

For arguments, I also had 2 sentences. E.g. from the same essay (1st argument)

The innocence of children is an avenue through which their actions are morally naïve. (again, broad opening sentence)
While Dickens explores the consequences of one's actions through 'Oliver Twist', he suggests that the innocence of children means that their actions are the result of the influences around them; mainly through the behaviours of adults to which they are exposed. (elaboration)

Here, I've drawn in my marker with a relatively short, to-the-point sentence, and followed with a supporting elaboration. This then leads me to incorporate things like structure, context, linguistic features, etc.

In the end, go with what you are more comfortable with, but hopefully this example has helped :)

Last edited:

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
For thesis, focus on clarity and precision rather than technicality and complexity. Your thesis should encapsulate the whole essence of your argument and making it lengthy and throwing in vocabulary for the sake of impressing ruins the whole point of that. Your body paragraphs should be filled with technicalities and complexity - that's an important thing to take away. I feel a lot of markers look at the thesis and base the marks off there, if your thesis is bad and your bodies are good, they won't let you enter the A range which kinda sucks but yeah...

TLDR; Thesis very important

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)