Thinking of 4 Unit (1 Viewer)

Nichola

I am in year 11 and I am thinking of doing 4 unit maths for the HSC. I wanted to know if it is significantly harder than 3 unit and if there is anyone willing to help me if I flounder!! hehe

Does anyone think it would be too hard to do 14 units? Because if I do take 4 unit maths, it would mean I would carry 14 units into the HSC....i'm biting my nails and thinking 'stressful!'.

Thanks for reading :D
-Nic

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Nichola -

I'd recommend that you do have a go at Maths Ext 2. It's difficult, but not impossible, and it's definitely worth it in the end. You can always drop down if it becomes too much.

I'd advise against studying 14 units though. It seems likely that you will drop one of your subjects before you get to the HSC exams... what else are you studying?

bellicoseboy

Even with a not-so-great teacher I'm finding 4u alright. There's only 7 topics plus the harder 3u questions. It's different to 3u in that a lot of it is trying to get your head around how the maths works, rather than memorising a heap of formulas and applying them in monotonous questions like in 3u.

Even if you don't go so well your marks will get scaled up. And plus, if you do 4u you don't have to do any of the 2u assessment tasks. :D (But if you do 4u and there's a chance you might drop it, make sure you are doing the 2u assessments ;) )

Blubby

HSC
4 u isn't wat often people think it is... it's not like you hav to be the biggest nerd or nething.. i used to be bit of a dropkick at maths but i doing alrite in 4 u so yeah.. go for it if you are prepared to put in the effort... but you should be warned that 4 u will take a lot of your time... Unit wise it's only 4 units but it often takes more than half your studying time which isn't a good proportion.. BUT unlike english if u put the effort in to it u'll get the marks..
^^
Hehehe.. hav fun next year... !!:)

Ozz^E

Id advise u to give 4u a go..but not in the sense of "yeh ill try but...". Do it as if u cant drop it...and beleive me itll benefit u in the end. I wasnt goin to do 4 un this yr but my principal advised my to and now ill prob end up with a mark of like 95 or so. Just work hard, put in the time and u wont have a prob.

But id really advise u AGIANST 14 units....Do only 10..i really dun see the point of doin even one extra. The argument that "wat if u go bad in one" is really quite baseless, coz then "wat if u go bad in all", does that mean u should do 20 units. Like none of the hsc subjects are such that if u put in the effort ull go bad...but keeping extra will have an effect in that u have les time per subject. So my advice would be to do 10 or if u want 11 but its up to u.

souldancer

im with the general feeling, go for it. its not that difficult, and its more understanding based than regurgitating formulas.

but as with hte others, id advise against 14 units. 12 is a good number, but 14 is too much unless u r doing pathways

thewingman

Im doing it now, going pretty well and after getting this far I would have to say the best part of it is the concept of getting a good scaled mark... the worst part of it, the amount of work you have to do... its really just too much.. i mean the amount of homework you get is just stupid.. it doesn't allow you to balance 4u maths with your other subjects..
On the good side.. its not as difficult as you would believe.. sometimes it depends on the text book you use ...

hope that helps somewhat
(btw what other subjects and units are you thinking about doing ?)

Morgues

Just to offer a different perspective...........some of my friends do 4 unit and their performance has dropped slightly in other subjects due to the amount they spend on maths

It depends on the individual........if you enjoy maths then give it a go for sure but don't just do it for the scaling if you dislike maths/not willing to spend hours per day on it

Because for scaling to occur you still have to get the marks

Aquatic

Wow, don't do 14 units.

My brother did 13 units for his HSC and he regrets it afterwards, he said it was too much work for him.
4u would probably consume 60% of your study time (that's what I heard).

If you really want to do it, well.. have a go with it, take like 11 - 12 units, in case you want to drop it later.

Nichola

Thank you, everybody, for all your help! It's certainly given me a better perspecitive on the subject.

I am currently doing 3unit maths, english, software design, info processes and tech, biology and chemistry. If I was to do 4 unit maths, software would be the subject that I would probably drop. But then, if I decide to drop 4 unit, it would mean that I couldn't re-pick up software. I suppose it doesn't matter; I would still have the required amount of units.

My maths teacher said I should do 4 unit, and I do enjoy maths and get good marks in 3 unit, so my mind is nearly made up- once again, thanks for all you help!

BUT unlike english if u put the effort in to it u'll get the marks..
Blubby, you are so right about that! English has too many grey areas...maths is black and white, thats why I love it.

souldancer

glad to hear it nichola. i agree with u about english being to grey, i prefer to be right or wrong, not to be analysed on my methods.

sango

HSC
this might be a bit passe but doing 4 unit is really worth it. i m in yr 11 but i m unfortuante enough to do it this year, along with 2 unit physics.. and at first i had no idea in maths - but the more u get into it, the more u enjoy it etc.. i'll probably do it again next year to get a better mark..

as for the number of units - it depends.. our school has a policy of us having to do 12 units instead of the required 10.. and i was forced to do 15 until my marks did a skydive when i was allowed to drop bloody latin.. 13's not too bad though.

anywayz any yr 12's who want to dump all their resources on me, please do... and don't burn them like my pyro brother tried to do.

mkogan

best quote EVER

BUT unlike english if u put the effort in to it u'll get the marks..

in 4unit math, u study, and u get the marks. English ,you study, but you still get bad marks!!!! Don't you just wanna kill English and especcially change!!!!

-=«MÄLÅÇhïtÊ»=-

HSC
i reckon 4u is totally diff concept to 3u
like in 3u, u juz leanr how to do a type of ques and u'll know how to deal with all situations.
But in 4u, studying ain't enuff. Like i reckon u hafta do as mnay questions as u can to increase ur experience in doing different types of ques.

And in the end, 4u makes 3u look like.........................

Originally posted by -=MLhtʻ=-
i reckon 4u is totally diff concept to 3u
like in 3u, u juz leanr how to do a type of ques and u'll know how to deal with all situations.
But in 4u, studying ain't enuff. Like i reckon u hafta do as mnay questions as u can to increase ur experience in doing different types of ques.

And in the end, 4u makes 3u look like.........................
I definitely agree with you on that one, It does make 3unit look like........................... and it makes 2 unit look like...... but its a real shame that 2unit maths could not compensate for english, but imagine a wonderful world where it would exists, it would certainly take a lot of stress away.

lala2

Banned
HSC
sango said:
this might be a bit passe but doing 4 unit is really worth it. i m in yr 11 but i m unfortuante enough to do it this year, along with 2 unit physics.. and at first i had no idea in maths - but the more u get into it, the more u enjoy it etc.. i'll probably do it again next year to get a better mark..

as for the number of units - it depends.. our school has a policy of us having to do 12 units instead of the required 10.. and i was forced to do 15 until my marks did a skydive when i was allowed to drop bloody latin.. 13's not too bad though.

anywayz any yr 12's who want to dump all their resources on me, please do... and don't burn them like my pyro brother tried to do.
What school do you go to? You sound like one of my classmates

zergcave

HSC
Slice of heaven said:
I definitely agree with you on that one, It does make 3unit look like........................... and it makes 2 unit look like...... but its a real shame that 2unit maths could not compensate for english, but imagine a wonderful world where it would exists, it would certainly take a lot of stress away.
oO how come general maths is so........babyish?
ive seen such exam questions:
what is this shape. a. square b. circle c. kite d. rectanle

Li0n

spiKu
HSC
zergcave said:
oO how come general maths is so........babyish?
ive seen such exam questions:
what is this shape. a. square b. circle c. kite d. rectanle
gee amm
different people have different abilities in different fields? ROFLKEKEKEK??
keep deriving the quadratic equation homie im sure you'll be congratulated one day.

boasboy

MUSTARD*
HSC
is 13 units ok if i'm doing ext.2 english? because im assuming that will sort of be counted as my "rest".. even though i don't a a great passion for writing ..i find it quite fun ^_^

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)