Thinking of doing 4 extension subjects in year 12...? (1 Viewer)

smik11

HSC
are 4 extension subjects in year 12 too much??

these are my subjects and ranks up until now

English Advanced 1/22
English Extension 1/9
Legal Studies 1/24
Mathematics 1/88 (tied with about 5 other people)
Mathematics Extension 5/37
Ancient History 5/71
Physics 5/39 (i thought i was ranked lower :confused:)

anyway i need to drop physics because im not doing so well and i dont have such a great teacher etc and i want to pick up English Extension 2.... and maybe History Ext. aswell.
is this too much work?

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad

English Advanced 1/22
English Extension 1/9
Legal Studies 1/24
Ancient History 5/71

anyway i need to drop physics because im not doing so well and i dont have such a great teacher etc and i want to pick up English Extension 2.... and maybe History Ext. aswell.
is this too much work?
Knock 'em dead.

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC

English Advanced 1/22
English Extension 1/9
Legal Studies 1/24
Ancient History 5/71

is this too much work?
Give it a go. Your ranks are great and it won't hurt to try. Personally I found 4U Maths, 4U English and Extension History to be a bit too much work so I dropped History, but I'm glad I tried it out.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Give it a go. Your ranks are great and it won't hurt to try. Personally I found 4U Maths, 4U English and Extension History to be a bit too much work so I dropped History, but I'm glad I tried it out.
Was it hard to cope with MXII and EEII?

smik11

HSC
what was required of you in ext. history?
i heard from somewhere that you would have to present an essay a week..?

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
Depending on your school, it differs. My school does not require me to do an essay a week.

History Extension requires you to do research into historical debate/interpretations of a piece of history. It can't coincide with anything the Modern or Ancient syllabuses have in them, though. For example, I can't do my hist. ext. on Leon Trotsky because he's a personality study of the Modern syllabus. The essay you do on that is about 2500 words long and has a synopsis included with it. You also have to log your work. Other than that, you look at historians + a personality and how the historians have interpreted that person.

Also, just give it a go if you really want to do them. If you can't cope, then just drop. Make sure you keep the options open though and don't leave dropping (if need be) too late. Don't end up with 10 units worth of shitty internal marks + ranks because you were spread too thin.

smik11

HSC
yea boi ure hard do em all
yeah we have 3 ancient history classes

Depending on your school, it differs. My school does not require me to do an essay a week.

History Extension requires you to do research into historical debate/interpretations of a piece of history. It can't coincide with anything the Modern or Ancient syllabuses have in them, though. For example, I can't do my hist. ext. on Leon Trotsky because he's a personality study of the Modern syllabus. The essay you do on that is about 2500 words long and has a synopsis included with it. You also have to log your work. Other than that, you look at historians + a personality and how the historians have interpreted that person.

Also, just give it a go if you really want to do them. If you can't cope, then just drop. Make sure you keep the options open though and don't leave dropping (if need be) too late. Don't end up with 10 units worth of shitty internal marks + ranks because you were spread too thin.
oh ok thanks! so is it just that 2500 word essay and the logbook that you get marked on? or is there a half yearly and yearly too?

57o1i

Premium Member
HSC
Was it hard to cope with MXII and EEII?

Not as hard I thought it would be. Because the two subjects require completely different mindsets I rarely got burned out on them (like if I was doing too much Maths I could move over and have a break with some English and vice versa). So that was good.

The only really, really hard bit was during trials because I had my 4U Maths exam on the Monday and then the full 4U English MW due in at the BOS on the Friday. There was a bit of panic in that week :).

redrum12

HSC
im doing two extension classes and im just coping with it, but then again, i work about twenty five hours a week, and i tutor a couple of girls in year eleven.

my friend is doing three extension classes and he seems to be coping. hes not working though.

depends on your other commitments, and if you have enough time to commit to it all. i find that my work in ext eng 1 is failing a little cause i just dont have the time to do the homework.

random-1006

Banned
HSC
just make sure you try and control yourself lol.

one person at my school last year did 3 unit maths (wasnt the best at maths, probably shouldnt have done it) and 4 unit english ( and i think he got lucky with his english too, alot of people bagged him out about his english) and had so many free lessons that he wasted in the library screwing around, when results came around im pretty sure he got fairly shit marks ( he wouldnt even mention his results!). Just make sure you stay on track, even though it is hard to not get distracted at the school library

Lolsmith

kill all boomers
HSC
oh ok thanks! so is it just that 2500 word essay and the logbook that you get marked on? or is there a half yearly and yearly too?
There are also tests, yes. The HSC exam consists of two 25 mark essays and that's it. It's basically the history equivalent of English. Different interpretations and always right if backed up.

What does school rank have to do with number of ancient classes?
More academic schools usually have higher amounts of kids in the grade and as a result have higher enrolment in academic subjects like Ancient. There are 9 people doing Ancient at my school, for example. My school was ranked around 550~ last year.

redrum12

HSC
just make sure you try and control yourself lol.

one person at my school last year did 3 unit maths (wasnt the best at maths, probably shouldnt have done it) and 4 unit english ( and i think he got lucky with his english too, alot of people bagged him out about his english) and had so many free lessons that he wasted in the library screwing around, when results came around im pretty sure he got fairly shit marks ( he wouldnt even mention his results!). Just make sure you stay on track, even though it is hard to not get distracted at the school library
bahahaha. cause theres so many interesting things in the library and all isnt there?

random-1006

Banned
HSC
bahahaha. cause theres so many interesting things in the library and all isnt there?

well he would always waste time going around and showing people bullshit magic tricks and such, im talking about not getting distracted by talking to other people having free lessons

redrum12

HSC
well he would always waste time going around and showing people bullshit magic tricks and such, im talking about not getting distracted by talking to other people having free lessons
worst thing ever is when people from year eleven join your private study periods and think its a complete bludge and decide to hang out with you all the time, but dont actually realise you have an assessment due the next day, and youre actually in the library to do private study. jerks.

Omnipotence

Kendrick Lamar
HSC
Uni Grad
Not as hard I thought it would be. Because the two subjects require completely different mindsets I rarely got burned out on them (like if I was doing too much Maths I could move over and have a break with some English and vice versa). So that was good.

The only really, really hard bit was during trials because I had my 4U Maths exam on the Monday and then the full 4U English MW due in at the BOS on the Friday. There was a bit of panic in that week :).
Thank you for your response. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)