Thinking of Dropping SDD? Read Here and decide. (1 Viewer)

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
#1 Tip for SDD class of '04

Here it is:

Drop Software.

I just got my UAC letter today expecting to see that my 96 (Top 10 in the state) for SDD was counted towards my UAI. It wasn't.

My 4U mark of 91 (~top 30% of the state) was actually counted instead...and if you look at the scaling documents for 2003 you'll notice SDD scaling dropped AGAIN despite enrolments for the course decreasing. Hence more "intellectually challenged" ppl than ever are doing SDD who shouldn't be.

You want a high UAI? Do 4u maths instead.

sunny

meh.
HSC
The other side of that is of course, do 4u maths (or any other 'high' scaling subjects) instead, where you're not capable of or don't like, and risk doing much worse. :)

Winston

HSC
I agree sunny obviously compared to software 4 unit maths scales better, so please don't discourage "good" sdd students from not doing sdd, if you like it with a passion you shall succeed in it, even if it's not going to count as your HSC it can be a very good backup in case "touch wood" you faile a subject, and it's a good subject some of the contents is good to learn and keep in mind.

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
94 in SDD scaled better than 85 in Chemistry for me.

Skywalker: the UAC documents also say that 99% of 4U students have 4U included in their UAI, but its a LOT lower for SDD (72%)

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
fuck now that u've sed that

do u think i shud drop

i do 4u maths 2 adv eng chem phys and
SDD!

arghhz this is really scaring me i dont want to do sdd and realise that it wont be counted for my uai...

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hmmm true true...

but i do ok for the other ones =\

sunny

meh.
HSC
This paranoia really goes too far.

Do what you like, and you will do better

Lets say, Hospitality Kitchen Operations scales better than SDD. really, you'll be picking SDD.

If you are that worried, you should be doing 4u english instead of SDD - but my guess is it might not be one of your favourites to be doing 4u worth of english.

Skywalker

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Fosweb
Skywalker: the UAC documents also say that 99% of 4U students have 4U included in their UAI, but its a LOT lower for SDD (72%)
Bingo.

Originally posted by sunny
Lets say, Hospitality Kitchen Operations scales better than SDD. really, you'll be picking SDD.
While we're making jokes about it, fricking SOCIETY & CULTURE actually scaled better.

Percentiles aren't to scale, but as you can see, you'd have to do pretty badly at 4U and very well at SDD to have SDD count over maths.

Having said that, though, SDD can be used as something to fall back on like Beaky said (and Fosweb showed). HOWEVER, don't expect to count SDD in your UAI and get 99.90+ unless you topped the state.

Last edited:

Actuarial Boy
HSC
that graph is f!@#$king scaary

ill keep sdd just as something to fall back on... in case nething else screws up i guess...

beemo

uh... doin well in software cause you like it scales better then doin shit in 4 unit cause you dont like it but want good marks.
the moral? DO WHAT YOU ENJOY

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
But seriously - think about the amount of work you will, in reality, put into SDD: for most people, it will be about nothing.
That is why it scales so bad, and that graph looks like that.

If you put in even a 'little' effort, you will probably beat 75% of people straight away.
If you put in a lot of effort, then you will be able to get a mark that will scale above an average chemistry or physics mark.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Originally posted by Skywalker
Here it is:

Drop Software.
HAHAHHAHA

Brilliantly said.

I hated software, it's a dodgey subject, and very hard to predict the questions.

Unless you actually enjoy it like some people here, it would be a good idea to drop it.

But remember, if you actually like it and know you will perform well, it would be a good idea to keep it, or you could put a average effort into it in case it ends up one of your other subjects stuff up.

SDD is mostly about whether you got the knowledge in you to apply it to the questions. Most people can do it from general knowledge, and it sounds you have put quite a lot of effort into SDD Ryan.

We aren't telling you to drop it, but remember this is the HSC, the point is try to maximise your UAI/marks. If SDD if a hinderence to your other subjects/study, it would be good to talk to the teachers and decide what is best for you.

Last edited:

Actuarial Boy
HSC
hm i guess if i have pretty much good scalin subjects

4u maths, chem, phys, then compulsary adv eng

mayb the best way is to prioritise on these subs and use sdd as a backup (since u can pretty much cram it from one textbook)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by :: ryan.cck ::
hm i guess if i have pretty much good scalin subjects

4u maths, chem, phys, then compulsary adv eng

mayb the best way is to prioritise on these subs and use sdd as a backup (since u can pretty much cram it from one textbook)

Yes that's right, i know of many who did that, but then again it's all of you guys who think like that using poor old SDD as a backup and then just merely doing good not your best then making this subject scale like shit.

Rahul

Dead Member
yeh good idea ryan, i got 78 in sdd with literally 2hrs of study. :p

one guy from school got 80 and he got drunk the night before :lol:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)