Thinking of dropping SOR2? (1 Viewer)

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
I'm currently doing SOR2 and I'm doing well (got 98 in my yearly's and came 2nd overall for prelim), but I have 14 units this year and so far SOR2 is the most 'intense'. I've talked to people in SOR1 and they say its the most chilled subject, so I'm wondering if I should drop down... Or I could just drop it all together (but then I'd have to do Catholic Studies bc religion is compulsory at my school).

My teacher is against the idea of me dropping, and he's a really good teacher- the only reason why I haven't already dropped- but I'm scared that it's going to be too much.

Any advice? :(

strawberrye

Premium Member
HSC
Uni Grad
I don't recommend you dropping down to SOR 1 unit or Catholic Studies when you are performing so well in this subject. If you think 14 units is too heavy a workload, consider dropping another subject that you are actually performing the worst in (provided that subject isn't English):).

enoilgam

HSC
I wouldnt drop a subject if you are that good at it. Out of your remaining subjects, are there any which you dislike/arent doing well in?

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
If you think 14 units is too heavy a workload, consider dropping another subject that you are actually performing the worst in (provided that subject isn't English):).
Nek minute English is my worst subject :/

I wouldnt drop a subject if you are that good at it. Out of your remaining subjects, are there any which you dislike/arent doing well in?
I'm hating Legal, but I'm doing well. The subject I'm completely bombing is Bio, but its fun.... :O haha thanks for the tip though, its gotten me thinking

enoilgam

HSC
I'm hating Legal, but I'm doing well. The subject I'm completely bombing is Bio, but its fun.... :O haha thanks for the tip though, its gotten me thinking
If you need to drop down, I'd consider Bio and Legal then - you want to drop the subject which is least likely to count.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
If you need to drop down, I'd consider Bio and Legal then - you want to drop the subject which is least likely to count.
Those were my initial thoughts, but SOR is taking up the most of my time and I don't think its worthwhile spending around 50% of my time on a 2U subject... Thanks though, it's a fair point.

enoilgam

HSC
Those were my initial thoughts, but SOR is taking up the most of my time and I don't think its worthwhile spending around 50% of my time on a 2U subject... Thanks though, it's a fair point.
How come it is taking up so much of your time? I did SOR II for a term during my HSC and it had probably the lowest workload amongst my subjects.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
How come it is taking up so much of your time? I did SOR II for a term during my HSC and it had probably the lowest workload amongst my subjects.
I think it's mainly my teacher. He's a great teacher, don't get me wrong, and he knows his stuff... but he expects SO much from us. Homework is analysing 20 page articles and each assignment is around 40 pages long + an in-class essay. I guess it's helping us, but still...

enoilgam

HSC
I think it's mainly my teacher. He's a great teacher, don't get me wrong, and he knows his stuff... but he expects SO much from us. Homework is analysing 20 page articles and each assignment is around 40 pages long + an in-class essay. I guess it's helping us, but still...
If you feel the Homework is too excessive and pointless - then dont do it. With the HSC, you have to take initiative for all aspects of your study and part of that is your homework.

TrentsUnicorn

HSC
Honestly, I think you should drop Biology if you drop any subject, since you have said it is the subject you are worst at. It doesn't seem logical to potentially lower your ATAR just because a subject happens to be "fun." (Although I do empathise, as I found Biology enjoyable myself, but thought for the benefit of my ATAR I was better off dropping it)
Well I'm handing in an assignment on Monday so if I flunk that I'll drop straight away, otherwise I'll keep it. As much as I want a good ATAR, enjoying year 12 is important to me. I don't want to regret not doing something that I loved later on... But thanks so much for your view on this!

gilza95

HSC
You've got your priorities wrong if you're putting 50% of your time and effort towards one subject especially a piss take subject like SOR It's essential to be consistent across the board

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)