Thinking of dropping to standard english (1 Viewer)

Flop21

HSC
:spzz: I was pretty happy with my mark of 70. My prelim english teacher (who told me to drop) was this old lady and it was her first year in teaching and I'm pretty sure she didnt get her education here so it would make sense for her to not know. But the other teacher has done HSC here and been teaching english for long time and she was the one who told me you need 75+ or else ur mark will be brought down so she also recommended standard.
Sounds like something weird is going on here. Do teachers like small advanced classes or something??

Maybe someone here can explain to you how HSC marks are aligned.

Check out the raw marks vs aligned for both subjects (there's not a lot of standard marks to go from tho, but gives you an idea)

http://rawmarks.info/wiki/English_Standard

http://rawmarks.info/wiki/English_Advanced

Talk to your teacher when school goes back, ask her why she's recommending standard AND tell her you're willing to learn and want to be in advanced, AND ask her how to improve.

Traxoom73

HSC
Uni Grad
I was in the same position as you when I was in Year 11 and guess what I did. I listened to my teachers and dropped to standard. Stupidest thing I ever did, ofc I regret it. The texts are not very in-depth compared to advanced (arguably) but the biggest complaint I have is the people you end up in classes with. Some of these guys couldn't give two hoots about anything in their lives - I'd heavily advise against dropping down to standard unless you want to spend 1 or more super fun years with these kind of people.

And it was only AFTER the HSC when we were celebrating and all did my Year 10 teacher finally tell me that I was perfectly capable of advanced. I knew I was but I didn't listen to my gut.

TLDR; Don't drop to standard! You'll get a much more enriched learning experience by doing advanced + standard scaling is Kappa

Last edited:

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
I was in the same position as you when I was in Year 11 and guess what I did. I listened to my teachers and dropped to standard. Stupidest thing I ever did, ofc I regret it. The texts are not very in-depth compared to advanced (arguably) but the biggest complaint I have is the people you end up in classes with. Some of these guys couldn't give two hoots about anything in their lives - I'd heavily advise dropping down to standard unless you want to spend 1 or more super fun years with these kind of people.

And it was only AFTER the HSC when we were celebrating and all did my Year 10 teacher finally tell me that I was perfectly capable of advanced. I knew I was but I didn't listen to my gut.

TLDR; Don't drop to standard! You'll get a much more enriched learning experience by doing advanced + standard scaling is Kappa
That's encouraging :kiss:

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
Out of curiousity, how do u guys know if aligning is good or bad? isnt that classified info held by the BOS?

duhdevitt

HSC
First hand experience here. I was in advanced but my school forced me down without my approval which I'm still pissed about. Standard English isn't too bad, the modules aren't too hard and are the same difficulty as advanced modules but you have more notes to go of for advanced. But Mod B for advanced is heaps hard compared to Mod B of standard.

Don't drop you will absolutely regret if, fight for it if you need to. It's better in the long run

HSC
Some unis offer bonus points for certain bands in advanced while standard doesn't give you anything. Up to you. Choice is obvious though.

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
yea but im wondering how u guys know about aligning... is this "personal experience" is data collected from thousands of past hsc students?

crowley926

HSC
Don't listen to these guys! Drop Advanced! Follow your heart.

LMAO JOKES
DONT DROP PLEASE
DEAR GOD DONT DROP DONT DO IT HOE

I read somewhere that 1/500 people will get Band 6 for Standard. If you drop to Standard you are shooting yourself in the foot. Aligning or scaling or whatever it is, is super crap for Standard - it's so difficult to get a Band 6.

Last year for the HSC a raw mark of 64 for Advanced scaled to 80 for a Band 5 which sounds achievable right? Idk about Standard but apparently you'd need 75 or so to get Band 5.

Don't listen to your teachers. Well not in this case anyway. Trust us. This is what's best for you. You don't have to justify yourselves to them.

would love to focus on my other subjects more than english.
Either way you're stuck with English and I don't think that by doing Standard you'll have a lighter workload. I think workload will be the same but just easier things to analyse. Since you have to do an English you're better off doing Advanced.

Last edited:

crowley926

HSC
yea but im wondering how u guys know about aligning... is this "personal experience" is data collected from thousands of past hsc students?
I have a copy of 2014 raw Hsc marks to aligned exam mark that I got from my friend (it's not dodgy and I've seen it pop up in a few other places)

in any case it's pretty common knowledge the Standard scales lower than Advanced

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2012-ScalingReport.pdf

Page 26, it says "What impact did the variation in patterns of HSC marks have on the ATAR calculations?
None. It is the raw HSC marks rather than the aligned HSC marks that are scaled. The fact that the
percentage of students who are placed in Performance Band 6 differs across courses has no effect on
the calculation of the ATAR."

Soz guys not trying to be a cunt, but it says here raw hsc marks are used for atar, not aligned marks?

Meccaman

HSC
standard and advanced essentially 'scale' the same, but it is harder to get a band 6 in standard than in advanced, like MUCH harder. In fact, a 90 in standard would scale better than a 90 in advanced, as in a higher ATAR equivalent for those 2 units. However, standard 'aligning' is very bad, as in usually you might need 78-80 raw/100 for advanced for it to be 'aligned' to 90, but for standard, your going to need basically a 90 or 89 RAW.

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
Everyone here said that aligning is horrible for standard right? But aligning is not used in atar calculation, so it doesn't matter. Right?

fghfvnfghvn

HSC
I'm sorry for arguing, maybe I'm not getting something right? But it was said before that scaling is the same for both, and I have discovered that aligning is not used in atar calculation. PLEASE give me a proper response. if u say "RIP OP's ATAR" it means u know ur wrong and have no argument to defend what u said. If i'm getting something wrong, please englighten me

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Everyone here said that aligning is horrible for standard right? But aligning is not used in atar calculation, so it doesn't matter. Right?
I'm sorry for arguing, maybe I'm not getting something right? But it was said before that scaling is the same for both, and I have discovered that aligning is not used in atar calculation. PLEASE give me a proper response. if u say "RIP OP's ATAR" it means u know ur wrong and have no argument to defend what u said. If i'm getting something wrong, please englighten me
your aligned marks are used

PhysicsMaths

HSC
From what i've read, aligned marks have NOTHING to do with your atar calculation. From my understanding, the aligning process produces a mark which tells you how you did at fulfulling the requirements of each band descriptor (b6/5/4 etc)
So essentially, they determine what performance band you're situated in for a particular subject.

when people say standard has poor aligning, that means it's much harder to full the requirements of a b6. I'm still learning about this process, and would like an explanation of why aligning affects your atar.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)