Thinking of quitting.. (1 Viewer)

Whaddaya Know?

Manufactured Gigolo
HSC
Well I've been working at Woolies for a while and I have decided to quit so I can invest more time in my studies. It's my first job so I'm not sure how to go about quitting.

How many weeks notice do you tell your manager that you want to quit?
Do you tell your manager personally or write a letter of resignation or both?

rozymisty

HSC
I know that with Coles, if your a casual you can quit 1hr before hand. I think PT and FT its like 2 wks or so. I think you just fill in a few forms and thats it.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Whaddaya Know? said:
How many weeks notice do you tell your manager that you want to quit?
Do you tell your manager personally or write a letter of resignation or both?
Legal requirements: You're meant to give reasonable notice. "Reasonable" is defined by past practice, such as how much notice they give YOU in rostors, or your pay cycle, and also in consideration of the importance of your position, and the expectation of ongoign work. Your contract may also specify some time that you're to give them.

In practice: Of course, as a casual, there's nothing stopping you giving them the official amount of notice, but being "sick" for any future shifts and not accepting any more: so you can effectively quit immediately. In retail for casuals it seems managers like to have at least a pay cycle, which applying the above is pretty 'reasonable', I'd say.. (assuming your pay cycle is fortnightly at most). If your contract says a particular duration it's probably good practice to give them that.

piecheck

HSC
N/A
i wanna quite my job too, and i need to give them the required notice period set by the state or territory award..would anyone noe what that is? lol i work at best and less btw, casual

Skeeta

HSC
if its not something you immediately need to leave for, its best to give 2 weeks --> 1 month. After the roster is finished anyway they shouldnt give you more rostered shifts.. but yeah dont just not turn up if you want a glowing reference

Whaddaya Know?

Manufactured Gigolo
HSC
I'm actually a cashier working part-time and plan to be job-free starting next semester for uni, which is in a month. So I guess I'll be giving them notice today :)

Thanks guys for all the info!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)