thinking of taking 2 units during summer - any advice? (1 Viewer)

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey, as the title suggests im thinking of taking 2 law units during summer - specifically im thinking of redoing one unit from 200 level which i only got a P (61) in (which is kinda important for what i want to do) and one unit that i haven't studied from 400 level (i'm in my 4th year and i need to take one unit during summer school to graduate on time).
i'm wondering how difficult this is going to be? any tips? experience? please share :tongue2:

Last edited:

Politic

HSC
N/A
hey, as the title suggests im thinking of taking 2 law units during summer - specifically im thinking of redoing one unit from 200 level which i only got a P (61) in (which is kinda important for what i want to do) and one unit that i haven't studied from 400 level (i'm in my 4th year and i need to take one unit during summer school to graduate on time).
i'm wondering how difficult this is going to be? any tips? experience? please share :tongue2:
difficult in what respect? you seem to have already found the solution to the problem

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well i heard summer school cram a lot in relatively short period of time so i wondered how people managed taking 1 or 2 units from there (i.e. level of stress, time spent on preparing for assignments) compared to regular semester... because if most people say that its really full on then thats a good indication that i should probably not take up that 200 level unit (i think).

ameher

HSC
well i heard summer school cram a lot in relatively short period of time so i wondered how people managed taking 1 or 2 units from there (i.e. level of stress, time spent on preparing for assignments) compared to regular semester... because if most people say that its really full on then thats a good indication that i should probably not take up that 200 level unit (i think).
I've done summer school in the past. Personally i found the one unit to be enough over the summer time, i think if you did two you would be stressing yourself. This was based on my experience of summer school, you may be better at time management then me.

Politic

HSC
N/A
I've done summer school in the past. Personally i found the one unit to be enough over the summer time, i think if you did two you would be stressing yourself. This was based on my experience of summer school, you may be better at time management then me.
Also since ur a MAQ law student would you mind telling me about your thoughts of MAQ law and the uni itself in terms of academia and lifestyle. I also ask as I've been told about its cut-backs and such. Thankyou.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
alrightie since im not a time management pro i might stick with 1 unit. i feel like getting stressed as i am now is enough... thanks for the input ameher :) also is on campus session really intense? ive never done this sort of thing (as im a full time on campus student) so it'd be great to know in advance!

and politic, i cant really tell you much about uni itself apart from that the library is always packed because im not involved in any student activities... i really chose this uni because it offers psy and law combination. mq law is ok, theres a good mix of theory and law but overall teaching quality can be hit or miss and elective choices are rather limited (but others might say something different). so unless you want to get into macquarie for specific reason maybe you might want to consider other unis? this is not to say that mq is the worst uni - just saying that there may be better alternatives.

ameher

HSC
No worries. The on campus session is intense with long days (from memory i started at 10am finished at 6pm) and i am like yourself just a full time on campus student. But its predominantly a lecturer going through the content so you don't need to feel pressured to participate,but obviously you can if you like. But if you stay on top of the readings, you will do quite well in summer school. By the way which unit are you thinking of doing? I was thinking of doing foundations of commercial law this summer.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
well for me its a tossup between foundation of commercial law and international human rights law ... and im leaning towards commercial law because i heard shayne is taking this unit this time and because i think i've been taking to many "airy fairy" units lately. i hope it doesnt have sit down exams though.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
I'm thinking of doing LAW317 - Property in Law and Equity II (Equity and Trusts) in summer school as well, but I haven't done LAW 316 (Property Law). Is this too much of a gamble? Is it too hard? I've heard that the content itself is really overwhelming and its very difficult to do well in such a short period of time.

Sorry I don't mean to hijack btw.

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
hey,
theres not much overlap between the 2 unit but if i were you i'd avoid doing it during summer school? i remember law317 being much harder than law 316 (and my friends agreed) and i feel like having done law 316 prepared me for this unit (not in terms of content, but in terms of gradual increase in difficulty). it's not like it's impossible to do well but it's gonna be a pretty challenging unit to do in summer school i reckon.

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
hey,
theres not much overlap between the 2 unit but if i were you i'd avoid doing it during summer school? i remember law317 being much harder than law 316 (and my friends agreed) and i feel like having done law 316 prepared me for this unit (not in terms of content, but in terms of gradual increase in difficulty). it's not like it's impossible to do well but it's gonna be a pretty challenging unit to do in summer school i reckon.
Thanks for the advice, I might give it a miss then and just do it during the semester 2 next year.

I'm going to be a dead man come this time next year, I'll be doing: LAW214 (Jurisprudence), LAW315 Constitutional and Admin Law, LAW317 Equity/Trusts and LAW456 Organisations.

:(

misericordia

Confused Member
HSC
Uni Grad
holy fuck i cant imagine doing juris, equity and bus org at the same time... admin law is pretty relaxed though. is there any way you can mix up the order of things?

andyfg88

HSC
N/A
only through summer school.. I was praying and praying and praying that some of those 300 level units or even juris would be offered but alas :(

Are juris, equity and business org that hard? What should I be expecting (honestly)?

PS: I don't imagine first semester next year will be any better: LAW208 (Law, Lawyers and Society), LAW314 (Constitutional Law and Admin), LAW316 (Property) and LAW459 (International).

next year may very well be the hardest year of my academic life.

Atlas

HSC
N/A
only through summer school.. I was praying and praying and praying that some of those 300 level units or even juris would be offered but alas :(

Are juris, equity and business org that hard? What should I be expecting (honestly)?

PS: I don't imagine first semester next year will be any better: LAW208 (Law, Lawyers and Society), LAW314 (Constitutional Law and Admin), LAW316 (Property) and LAW459 (International).

next year may very well be the hardest year of my academic life.
No, your first semester next year isn't as bad. Once you have survived Business Organisations, everything else seems pleasant :D

Atlas

HSC
N/A
mq law is ok, theres a good mix of theory and law but overall teaching quality can be hit or miss and elective choices are rather limited (but others might say something different). so unless you want to get into macquarie for specific reason maybe you might want to consider other unis? this is not to say that mq is the worst uni - just saying that there may be better alternatives.
With electives, you just have to pick the "right" subjects (i.e. those with certain lecturers/tutors)

Atlas

HSC
N/A
well for me its a tossup between foundation of commercial law and international human rights law ... and im leaning towards commercial law because i heard shayne is taking this unit this time and because i think i've been taking to many "airy fairy" units lately. i hope it doesnt have sit down exams though.
Foundation of Commercial Law is quite fun - there's some interesting cases, and all in all, quite black letter/practical. If Shayne is taking the unit, definitely pick it for a well-structured unit with a fair assessment scheme.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)