This cannot be right. (1 Viewer)

Schoey93

HSC
lol, it is right. Wanna know why?

The absolutely crazy scaling of mx1 and mx2.

I know of someone who got the following:

adv english - 83 *
chemistry - 78 *
legal studies 87 *
bio - 80
physics - 72

mx1 - 94 *
mx2 - 89 *

ones with an * were counted in atar calculation.

He got 94.4 ATAR

So working from rough estimates, ex1 and ex2 would be counted in your case, as well as mx1 and mx2, and then probably chem and phys - roughly equates to his moderated marks.

It's right.
I have heard that even if you do 4 units of English, the 2 units that will always be counted are English (Advanced). English Extension 1 and English Extension 2 may be counted but they do not take priority over English (Advanced), even if the marks in the extension courses are better, apparently.

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
I have heard that even if you do 4 units of English, the 2 units that will always be counted are English (Advanced). English Extension 1 and English Extension 2 may be counted but they do not take priority over English (Advanced), even if the marks in the extension courses are better, apparently.
You are wrong. If all your other subjects are better (let's say 2U Maths, Phys, Chem and Legal) then your EX1 and EX2 results are next 'best', whilst English Advanced is the worst, then your ATAR will be calculated by EX1 and EX2 only (of the English subjects).

Jackie.bored

HSC
You are wrong. If all your other subjects are better (let's say 2U Maths, Phys, Chem and Legal) then your EX1 and EX2 results are next 'best', whilst English Advanced is the worst, then your ATAR will be calculated by EX1 and EX2 only (of the English subjects).
This.

Though, it must be said that scaling for English Ext is sort of bad in comparison to English Adv, 47(94) in EE1 is not better than 94 in English Advanced (It's not better than 93 even, not sure how low this goes down to but yeah)

jet

Banned
HSC
That's because most people get between 45 and 50 for extension.

ilikebeeef

HSC
No. The BOS always count your best 2 units of English, which might not necessarily be English Advanced.

Dragonmaster262

Unorthodox top student
HSC
That is false, English Ext scales better than English Advanced.
Actually I think Jackie.bored is right because according to the UAC tables and other released data Extension English does seem to scale slightly worse than advanced (although the variation is minor). I don't know why this is the case but I've heard a couple of the top HSC kids admit that Extension English doesn't scale better than Advanced. I may be wrong though so please correct me if I am.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Actually I think Jackie.bored is right because according to the UAC tables and other released data Extension English does seem to scale slightly worse than advanced (although the variation is minor). I don't know why this is the case but I've heard a couple of the top HSC kids admit that Extension English doesn't scale better than Advanced. I may be wrong though so please correct me if I am.
According to http://www.duxcollege.com.au/pdf/uac/2008_table_A4.pdf, Extension English scales better than Advanced.

Also, couldn't half of English Advanced be considered?
Yes, it can.

Jackie.bored

HSC
According to http://www.duxcollege.com.au/pdf/uac/2008_table_A4.pdf, Extension English scales better than Advanced.
I'm just saying, that in my case, and a couple of my friends cases, their English Advanced counted rather then their English Extensions. This is from UAC itself and our ATARs, which is more evidence than the tables.

Also, your link is wrong. That's the percentage of students that get certain marks. Not a scaling table. There's so much that you can infer from those tables, but when you have real results, take them.

Ok. The higher you go, the less you are affected by scaling. So aim high and it's all good.

Last edited:

ilikebeeef

HSC
I'm just saying, that in my case, and a couple of my friends cases, their English Advanced counted rather then their English Extensions. This is from UAC itself and our ATARs, which is more evidence than the tables.

Also, your link is wrong. That's the percentage of students that get certain marks. Also, its from 2007-2008.
The percentage of students that get certain marks reflects the scaling.

I hope that we can agree that the scaling for EE2 is bad.
In terms of scaling, EX2 > EX1 > Eng. Adv. > Std. English.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Not a scaling table. There's so much that you can infer from those tables, but when you have real results, take them.
I will find and post up a link of a scaling table when my internet is not capped lol (or if someone else besides me could do that, that would be fine).

Ok. The higher you go, the less you are affected by scaling. So aim high and it's all good.
Pretty much.

ilikebeeef

HSC
Because subjects with good scaling --> more people with higher marks. Take MX2 for example. At least half the people who do it get 90+. On the other hand, Chemistry scales worse - only about 6% of people doing the course get 90+.

Wouldn't the students get the same HSC marks even if scaling didn't exist?
What do you mean?

Schoey93

HSC
Because subjects with good scaling --> more people with higher marks. Take MX2 for example. At least half the people who do it get 90+. On the other hand, Chemistry scales worse - only about 6% of people doing the course get 90+.

What do you mean?
- Board of Studies NSW

39.87% is not one half. What do I mean? Scaling does not determine how many people get high HSC marks.

nutcracker

the restaurant at the end of the universe.
HSC
After reading part of this thread, I am so confused about EE2 scaling O_O.
When I come on this site and see people talking about scaling, I get fixated on it too - and obsessed and depressed. But then when I take a look at my marks and estimates from school and ATAR calculators, I get the type of ATARs I want to be getting at this stage with marks that really aren't that great and subjects that don't include 4U maths, phys, distinction courses, etc. So anyway, the point of that little ramble was, I really don't think scaling makes as much of a difference as everyone harps on about O_O

ilikebeeef

HSC
After reading part of this thread, I am so confused about EE2 scaling O_O.
If you are good at and love English, then you should do EX2. The scaling for EX2 is not horrible. It scales better than English Advanced and English Ext.

When I come on this site and see people talking about scaling, I get fixated on it too - and obsessed and depressed. But then when I take a look at my marks and estimates from school and ATAR calculators, I get the type of ATARs I want to be getting at this stage with marks that really aren't that great and subjects that don't include 4U maths, phys, distinction courses, etc. So anyway, the point of that little ramble was, I really don't think scaling makes as much of a difference as everyone harps on about O_O
Scaling doesn't make that much of a difference when you are good at the subject (whatever it is).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)