This cannot be right. (1 Viewer)

x jiim

zimbardooo.
HSC
Uni Grad
You go to Talent 100 and pay those ridiculously high prices?
Not necessarily. I got one of those things and I don't; I think someone was handing them out near school, or mailed them out or something o___o

ilikebeeef

HSC
You go to Talent 100 and pay those ridiculously high prices?
No, I do not.

Not necessarily. I got one of those things and I don't; I think someone was handing them out near school, or mailed them out or something o___o
Handing them out. They stood by one of the school entrances and shoved them into our hands o_O
Yes, Richard Chua was standing outside the gates of my school. I took a booklet and a card from him.

Jackie.bored

HSC
The percentage of students that get certain marks reflects the scaling.

In terms of scaling, EX2 > EX1 > Eng. Adv. > Std. English.
No it necessarily does not, I mean more than 50% of people get over 90 in Latin but it scales so bad if you don't do well. 96 in Latin does not compare to 96 in Geography.

Just saying, my friend got 93 in English Adv, 47 in EE1 and 47 in EE2 and English Advanced counted. Facts.

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf

Jackie.bored

HSC
Because subjects with good scaling --> more people with higher marks. Take MX2 for example. At least half the people who do it get 90+. On the other hand, Chemistry scales worse - only about 6% of people doing the course get 90+.
Subjects with higher scaling just mean that the quality of the candidature is high. The students doing Maths Extension 2 are most likely doing well in their other subjects, which forces the higher scaling.

Also, I think that you might be getting your aligning mixed up with your scaling.

Last edited:
P

pinkcupcakes

Using the table A3, I figured that if I got into the 50th percentile, just the 50th percentile for all my subjects - I would already get an ATAR around 92.50. Just by that.

My working, scores are for P50:

Chemistry - 33/50
English (Adv) - 32.1/50
English (Ext 1) - 37.4/50
English (Ext 2) - 37/50
Legal Studies - 26.2/50
Maths (Ext 1) - 42.1/50
Maths (Ext 2) - 46/50
Physics - 31.8/50

With those, my counted subjects would be Maths (Ext 2) with 92/100, Maths (Ext 1) with 84.2/100, English (Ext 1) with 37.4/50, English (Ext 2) - 37/50, Chemistry with 66/100, English (Adv) with 64.2/100 - meaning Physics with Legal Studies not counting.

Adding the aggregate, I get 380.8/500, which from using Table 8b, a 90 ATAR's minimum aggregate was 367.4, with 95 ATAR is 401.5, meaning it's an ATAR of around 92.50.

That surely cannot be right - unless P50 is extremely difficult to get, and I don't think it is. My question, is my working correct? If so, this HSC thing is easier than I thought =P

wow :lol:
thats great news :D
do you mind if you please help me calculate the score i get if i get p50?

biology
chemistry
pdhpe
english adv.
maths 3u

:]

ilikebeeef

HSC
Subjects with higher scaling just mean that the quality of the candidature is high. The students doing Maths Extension 2 are most likely doing well in their other subjects, which forces the higher scaling.
Yeah I know that.

Also, I think that you might be getting your aligning mixed up with your scaling.
Sorry, that was a few months ago. I'll rephrase; English Standard and Advanced align differently. They are scaled the same.

No it necessarily does not, I mean more than 50% of people get over 90 in Latin but it scales so bad if you don't do well. 96 in Latin does not compare to 96 in Geography.

Just saying, my friend got 93 in English Adv, 47 in EE1 and 47 in EE2 and English Advanced counted. Facts.

http://www.uac.edu.au/documents/atar/2009_table_A3.pdf
I've looked at that document before.

Just to clarify, I was being general. Scaling of subjects change every year. The English subjects don't differ that much in their scaling tbh.

kiniki

HSC
this is making me feel better, it's what i banked on when i first chose my subjects.. i just grew gradually disheartened when i got fairly average results this year unlike prievous years :(

so if i get average in all my subjects... i can atleast get low 90s..? 93? :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)