this is F**ked up.. (1 Viewer)

Gummy_bear

HSC
ok, a friend of mine JUST got told by his teachers that he has to redo all of his B.O.W coz it apparently has disturbing/distressing content and thats not alowed. can they really do that?! i cannot believe that they are alowed to do that this late on.

Has this happened to anyone you know, or you? and what would you do?

anne1987

HSC
OMG thats ridiculous! i didnt think they could censor anything that we did. at least thats what my teacher told me... he could be full of it tho... if i was told that i couldnt hand in my work this late in the year, i would drop art. probably along with having a complete breakdown and convincing myself that i was useless and would completely bomb out in the HSC exams... then again, i am really really good at psyching myself out.
i havent ever heard of this happening to anyone. surely the teacher could have thought to tell your friend their work wasnt able to be handed in with more than a week until the BOS due date!

Gummy_bear

HSC
thats what i think. its not like the teacher hasnt seen the work before, they have tos ee progress updates. i just dont understand..

anne1987

HSC
that is completely cruel! i sware the only restrictions BOS place on us is a size limit and that we cant have anything dangerous (glass, needles, etc) placed in our majors. actually, i would make my teacher hand in my work anyway, and if the BOS rejected it, then so be it. NO way would i be starting again.

Insouciance

HSC
As far as I can tell, restrictions are placed on art work topics at the school's discretion (aka, my school won't allow works containing foul language because it "might befoul the reputation of the fine establishment") but if this is the case, every student should have been notified at the beginning of 2005, at the very latest.

I believe your friend has every right to hand in his work unless he disregarded guidelines.

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
i wanna know the damn theme!

my imagination is going wild

im thinking

people eating their children while getting hanged and raped.

however that works....

Captain pi

HSC
http://www.boardofstudies.nsw.edu.au/manuals/pdf_doc/advice_hsc_performance_05.pdf

Of key importance is the following quote:

It is not expected, however, that markers should be confronted by works and performances that the general adult community would find offensive. Supervisors of Marking bring to the Board’s attention any examination responses that contain frivolous or gratuitously objectionable material.
However, given the extremely late notice that the student was given, a misadventure appeal may be worth pursuing (but don't count on it).

In other words, contact the Board. :)

nwatts

HSC
Pfft. Orlan and Stelarc do obscene things to their bodies and are praised by critics worldwide. If the "general adult community" isn't offended by someone stringing hooks through themself to hang suspended from the roof, I worry about society.

One of last year's art express works (at ArtNSW) was three oils of naked, fat ladies. Extremely graphic, very confronting. It was, however, very good.

Maybe your art teacher just thinks this guy's work is crap?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)