This is probably really dumb, but.. (1 Viewer)

etakkate

HSC
Does graduating from a uni like usyd offer you more job prespects/ chances of being higher paid, as opposed to a cheaper, easier uni to get into ??

runnable

HSC
hmm this will attract a lot of politically correct answers but a simple way to think is this:

Would you rather employ a Harvard graduate or USyd graduate... if everything else is held equal.

micky131

HSC
who cares if you get into a shit uni honestly

just work hard and get a high grade point average...and once you get a foot in the door you can pretty much do what you want....
my mum is a student advisor at uni and if you stick at uni for 1 yr...you can pretty much switch to watever course you want to

uni aint that hard i got a high distinction in my GUESTS program...beat the whole group of students doing the degree.....

JJmn

HSC
micky131 said:
who cares if you get into a shit uni honestly

Typical someone going to a shit uni themselves.

If it doesnt make a diff, why the effort around the world for people to get into better unis and all the rankings and judging happenin?

chriskoss

HSC
JJmn said:
Typical someone going to a shit uni themselves.

If it doesnt make a diff, why the effort around the world for people to get into better unis and all the rankings and judging happenin?
Your a fucken spastic..

It's for their prestigious status you fool..

What if the smartest person in Australia lived NEXTDOOR to UWS... so he just went there because it was next door, you saying he will be laughed at and fucked off because he went there.. Im sure he'd do that rather than travelling 3 fucking hrs on transport to UNSW or USyd to meet up with all the fucking gay, stuck up loosers who think their shit don't stick cuz' they go to a prestigious uni..

Fool.

decoil

HSC
chriskoss said:
Your a fucken spastic..

What if the smartest person in Australia lived NEXTDOOR to UWS... so he just went there because it was next door, you saying he will be laughed at and fucked off because he went there.. Im sure he'd do that rather than travelling 3 fucking hrs on transport to UNSW or USyd to meet up with all the fucking gay, stuck up loosers who think their shit don't stick cuz' they go to a prestigious uni..

Fool.
And its obviously the prestigious status of a person which may influence employment. Although most people would argue it doesnt happen, or that it shouldnt matter for that fact... it probably does occur.

Honestly, it wouldn't effect you too much if you went to a different university, you can still go all the different places as anyone else in a working life.

However, from what I have heard from people particularly in the business field - if you were to hold up a degree from two different people wanting one job placement, chances are that the person with a more recognised degree would gain an advantage.

Edit: And if the smartest person living next to UWS decided to go to UWS - they would undoubtably achieve a HD average anyway, which would be highly regarded by employers.

Last edited:

lionking1191

HSC
decoil said:
And its obviously the prestigious status of a person which may influence employment. Although most people would argue it doesnt happen, or that it shouldnt matter for that fact... it probably does occur.

Honestly, it wouldn't effect you too much if you went to a different university, you can still go all the different places as anyone else in a working life.

However, from what I have heard from people particularly in the business field - if you were to hold up a degree from two different people wanting one job placement, chances are that the person with a more recognised degree would gain an advantage.

Edit: And if the smartest person living next to UWS decided to go to UWS - they would undoubtably achieve a HD average anyway, which would be highly regarded by employers.
its like buying nike shoes. does it look good? yes. is it worth the money? no.

runnable

HSC
decoil said:
Yea but if by chance, a person with a HD average from USyd applied for the same job, and with similar credentials all around, the USyd man may be more likely to be employed.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
getting a good GPA is one thing, but a careers advisor at uni told me what can set a potential candidate from the rest is if you actually have previous experience in the field that you are studying in.

runnable

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
getting a good GPA is one thing, but a careers advisor at uni told me what can set a potential candidate from the rest is if you actually have previous experience in the field that you are studying in.
But to get that experience, a more recognised degree can help one get first job and experience easier.

lionking1191

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
well it's all part of the package isn't it. academia, extra-curriculum + work experience.

JJmn

HSC
chriskoss said:
Your a fucken spastic..

Fool.
Another one who is aiming for a shit uni and telling themselves it does not matter at all.

Truth is, it does matter.

HSC
I like statistics.

Graduate Survey 2007 and Good Universities Guide 2008 both indicate higher graduate starting salary/graduate employment after 4 months at the more "prestigious" unis. But this is for graduates, after a time in the workforce, experience > qualifications.

runnable

HSC
JJmn said:
Another one who is aiming for a shit uni and telling themselves it does not matter at all.

I think everyone should aim for what they are capable of. What I don't understand is opting DOWN to a less recognized uni when he/she is capable (UAI) to enter the more prestigious one, except for special cases like distance, scholarships etc.

darkwolfzx

HSC
N/A
runnable said:
But to get that experience, a more recognised degree can help one get first job and experience easier.
not true

I do not have formal qualifications, yet I work as an IT assistant gaining knowledge about how to manage 4 servers and 30 machines in a small office, as well as programming in house tools that assist the company.

My friend is studying commerce. She got a job at pricewaterhousecoopers after the hsc as an office assistant, receiving exposure to an accounting environment while she worked there.

Getting the first job is hard, but start small, then you will land a real job in the future

m00

HSC
I don't really understand I mean if you attain a degree with the same name at two different uni's arnt you qualified for the same thing?

do employers seriously ask what UNI you went to? I dont see how it matters really

runnable

HSC
darkwolfzx said:
not true

I do not have formal qualifications, yet I work as an IT assistant gaining knowledge about how to manage 4 servers and 30 machines in a small office, as well as programming in house tools that assist the company.

My friend is studying commerce. She got a job at pricewaterhousecoopers after the hsc as an office assistant, receiving exposure to an accounting environment while she worked there.

Getting the first job is hard, but start small, then you will land a real job in the future

But say if you are a Harvard graduate at IT, chances are, you'll land in a better job first time round with greater ease and greater pay. Same for accounting. This is all referring to first job.

runnable

HSC
m00 said:
I don't really understand I mean if you attain a degree with the same name at two different uni's arnt you qualified for the same thing?

do employers seriously ask what UNI you went to? I dont see how it matters really
I think it does matter.

Person 1 : Harvard graduate with HD average.
Person 2: UWS graduate with HD average.

other things equal eg experience, skills, exchange. As an employer, who would you employ?

micky131

HSC
JJmn said:

honestly but if two people go to different unis doing the same course they come out with the exact same fucking degree just one has forked out thousands more to have a pole shoved up his arse

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)