This is what HIP-HOP is. (1 Viewer)

illmatic

NaS
HSC
*Taken from another forum.

----------------------------------------------------

1. Hip-hop is a genre of music characterized by rhyming vocals (rapping) syncopated to rhythmic (often to the point of excluding melody, etc.) instrumental backdrops that emphasize percussion and bass and are traditionally produced by a DJ indefinitely manipulating a portion of one or more records (sampling).

2. Sampling is hip-hop's central innovation. This leads to the idea that the person who plays a record is as important as someone who plays on a record.

3. The subculture surrounding hip-hop originally included graffiti and a style of dance called b-boying. It has since expanded, in theory, to include many forms of street art and dance styles. In reality, the genre of music has separated from the rest of the subculture, whose elements have grown on their own.

4. Hip-hop's creators were Black and Latino.

5. Hip-hop was originally a live medium.

6. Hip-hop was popularized by people who were not hip-hop. The Sugar Hill Gang violated some of hip-hop's original rules:

a) Lazy sampling (Pioneering DJs gained their reputations from their stock of records that they played that no on else had. "Rapper's Delight" used an obvious and popular sample. It's important to note that the fact they sampled is not bad, it's that they were lazy about it and used the popularity of the sample to drive the song, not its inherent dopeness.)

b) Stolen rhymes (It is well-known that the members of the Sugar Hill Gang stole the lyrics to "Rapper's Delight" from the Cold Crush Brothers

"I'm overcharging niggas for what they did to the Cold Crush."
- Jay-Z

and performed them as if they were their own.)

This changed hip-hop irrevocably. Recorded hip-hop became more important than live hip-hop. Arguably, this is when authentic hip-hop died.

7. After a period of reliance on live interpolation, direct sampling was brought back to prominence by singles from Eric B & Rakim, Ultramagnetic MC's, and Boogie Down Productions. DJ Marley Marl was instrumental in this revival.

8. Rakim of Eric B & Rakim changed rapping by doing something different. Whereas rappers before would emphasize the end of one line ("There ain't no HIGHER, sucker MCs better call me SIRE"), Rakim evenly spaced his words through a line and ended lines without altering his tone. This opened up the idea that there was more than one proper way to rap.

9. Dr. Dre changed hip-hop forever as well by reintroducing interpolation of samples by live instrumentation. His music also relied on samples of music that was popular in Southern California and didn't conform to the prevailing hip-hop (New York) aesthetic. This opened up the regionalization of hip-hop, pushed it further towards becoming part of the spectrum of Black music, and created a series of attempts to restore a previous aesthetic, reconcile it with the new reality (aka underground hip-hop), or purify it.

10. Treach of Naughty by Nature changed hip-hop by greatly increasing the role of choruses/hooks in hip-hop songs. His approach has been stretched to encompass entire songs in recent history by 50 Cent.

11. Underground hip-hop as defined in 9 was complicated by Anticon, a collective mentored by an indie rock performer and whose audience largely came to consist of non hip-hop heads. However, it wasn't complicated as much as some might think, because the term underground hip-hop is a blanket term that covers several scenes and subgenres, not one.

11. Hip-hop was not created for activist or nationalist purposes, and will never replace education or proper petitioning. Hip-hop was originally created as party music, and by people who have more in common with the Diplomats and Kay Slay than dead prez and Q-Bert. This does not mean that the Ying Yang Twins are an ideal, but it does mean that hip-hop is sophisticated enough to encompass a wide range of subject matter, from "The Message" to "Balcony Beach" to "The Whisper Song".

13. Hip-hop is driven by Black performers whose music targets Black audiences. If this were not true, Bubba Sparxxx's second major-label album would've produced a hit single and Joe Budden would rap about prescription drugs and not PCP.

14. The population of hip-hop heads is small. It very likely does not exceed one million persons in the United States.

15. The main threat to hip-hop is its inevitable absorption into the popular music spectrum, which will eventually mean its being produced according to popular music's rules.

16. Conversely, hip-hop's influence has probably stifled the development and growth of other regional subcultures and music.

----------------------------------------------------------

Learn.

HSC
illmatic said:
15. The main threat to hip-hop is its inevitable absorption into the popular music spectrum, which will eventually mean its being produced according to popular music's rules.

maybe u will now understand why i say 'rap' and 'hip hop' are different

Bookie

Banned
HSC
illmatic said:

1. Hip-hop is a genre of music characterized by rhyming vocals (rapping) syncopated to rhythmic (often to the point of excluding melody, etc.) instrumental backdrops that emphasize percussion and bass and are traditionally produced by a DJ indefinitely manipulating a portion of one or more records (sampling).

2. Sampling is hip-hop's central innovation. This leads to the idea that the person who plays a record is as important as someone who plays on a record.

3. The subculture surrounding hip-hop originally included graffiti and a style of dance called b-boying. It has since expanded, in theory, to include many forms of street art and dance styles. In reality, the genre of music has separated from the rest of the subculture, whose elements have grown on their own.

4. Hip-hop's creators were Black and Latino.

5. Hip-hop was originally a live medium.

6. Hip-hop was popularized by people who were not hip-hop. The Sugar Hill Gang violated some of hip-hop's original rules:

a) Lazy sampling (Pioneering DJs gained their reputations from their stock of records that they played that no on else had. "Rapper's Delight" used an obvious and popular sample. It's important to note that the fact they sampled is not bad, it's that they were lazy about it and used the popularity of the sample to drive the song, not its inherent dopeness.)

b) Stolen rhymes (It is well-known that the members of the Sugar Hill Gang stole the lyrics to "Rapper's Delight" from the Cold Crush Brothers

"I'm overcharging niggas for what they did to the Cold Crush."
- Jay-Z

and performed them as if they were their own.)

This changed hip-hop irrevocably. Recorded hip-hop became more important than live hip-hop. Arguably, this is when authentic hip-hop died.

7. After a period of reliance on live interpolation, direct sampling was brought back to prominence by singles from Eric B & Rakim, Ultramagnetic MC's, and Boogie Down Productions. DJ Marley Marl was instrumental in this revival.

8. Rakim of Eric B & Rakim changed rapping by doing something different. Whereas rappers before would emphasize the end of one line ("There ain't no HIGHER, sucker MCs better call me SIRE"), Rakim evenly spaced his words through a line and ended lines without altering his tone. This opened up the idea that there was more than one proper way to rap.

9. Dr. Dre changed hip-hop forever as well by reintroducing interpolation of samples by live instrumentation. His music also relied on samples of music that was popular in Southern California and didn't conform to the prevailing hip-hop (New York) aesthetic. This opened up the regionalization of hip-hop, pushed it further towards becoming part of the spectrum of Black music, and created a series of attempts to restore a previous aesthetic, reconcile it with the new reality (aka underground hip-hop), or purify it.

10. Treach of Naughty by Nature changed hip-hop by greatly increasing the role of choruses/hooks in hip-hop songs. His approach has been stretched to encompass entire songs in recent history by 50 Cent.

11. Underground hip-hop as defined in 9 was complicated by Anticon, a collective mentored by an indie rock performer and whose audience largely came to consist of non hip-hop heads. However, it wasn't complicated as much as some might think, because the term underground hip-hop is a blanket term that covers several scenes and subgenres, not one.

11. Hip-hop was not created for activist or nationalist purposes, and will never replace education or proper petitioning. Hip-hop was originally created as party music, and by people who have more in common with the Diplomats and Kay Slay than dead prez and Q-Bert. This does not mean that the Ying Yang Twins are an ideal, but it does mean that hip-hop is sophisticated enough to encompass a wide range of subject matter, from "The Message" to "Balcony Beach" to "The Whisper Song".

13. Hip-hop is driven by Black performers whose music targets Black audiences. If this were not true, Bubba Sparxxx's second major-label album would've produced a hit single and Joe Budden would rap about prescription drugs and not PCP.

14. The population of hip-hop heads is small. It very likely does not exceed one million persons in the United States.

16. Conversely, hip-hop's influence has probably stifled the development and growth of other regional subcultures and music.

----------------------------------------------------------

Learn.
otherwise known as crap

Soma

Toney Starks Fanboy
HSC
hiphophorray123 said:
maybe u will now understand why i say 'rap' and 'hip hop' are different
Hiphop is a lifestyle.

Four elements and all that shit.

Rapping is just one of the elements.

Don't front!

illmatic

NaS
HSC
Bookie said:
otherwise known as crap

Why is it that just because you don't like it that you can't appreciate the diversity of music? Are you that narrow minded and arrogant that you believe "Rock N Roll" should be the only form of music? Who the fuck are you to disrespect a whole genre?

If you don't like it, so be it. But why not respect other people's music tastes and the existence of music's diversity and ability to influence and reach out to people differently? I'm sorry, but guitar riff's don't do it for everybody.

heybraham

HSC
illmatic said:
Why is it that just because you don't like it that you can't appreciate the diversity of music? Are you that narrow minded and arrogant that you believe "Rock N Roll" should be the only form of music? Who the fuck are you to disrespect a whole genre?

If you don't like it, so be it. But why not respect other people's music tastes and the existence of music's diversity and ability to influence and reach out to people differently? I'm sorry, but guitar riff's don't do it for everybody.
at least guitar riffs usually have melody...*ouch*

nah don't get me wrong, i like some hip-hop, rarely will i say 'hey that sounds pretty good and i really like the rhythm', but i have said it before and i probably will again.

but then again don't get me wrong, i reckon most of hip-hop is still v. shit, as is most of all popular music. (Guns N' Roses rule indefinitely)

HSC
heybraham said:
at least guitar riffs usually have melody...*ouch*

nah don't get me wrong, i like some hip-hop, rarely will i say 'hey that sounds pretty good and i really like the rhythm', but i have said it before and i probably will again.

but then again don't get me wrong, i reckon most of hip-hop is still v. shit, as is most of all popular music. (Guns N' Roses rule indefinitely)

im assuming u havent heard much hip hop, that stuff u hear on the radio, 50 cent, lil jon etc, thats not representive of what we are talking about.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
illmatic said:

Rock and Rollllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, hiphop is lame. They steal music, "sample" my arse. They write songs which are either "I'm lonely" "Need You" "Help Me Love You" and along those lines. To add to these woes - THEY CAN'T FRIKIN SPELL! Since when did 's' become 'z', and three letter words become one? Fark me - its not cool except for the ditties who follow this shit.

I admit I havent heard deeper into the genre, but the guys flying the flag - the top 10 singles chart - dont do the job for me.

HSC
Bookie said:
Rock and Rollllllllllllllllllllll!!!!!!!!!!!

Look, hiphop is lame. They steal music, "sample" my arse. They write songs which are either "I'm lonely" "Need You" "Help Me Love You" and along those lines. To add to these woes - THEY CAN'T FRIKIN SPELL! Since when did 's' become 'z', and three letter words become one? Fark me - its not cool except for the ditties who follow this shit.

I admit I havent heard deeper into the genre, but the guys flying the flag - the top 10 singles chart - dont do the job for me.

akon - lonely = R&B

mario - let me love you = R&B

bow wow - let me hold you = R&B

how is it stealing when they pay royalties etc

and it doesnt look like you can FRIKIN spell either

You are obviously bitter because rap is taking over rock n roll as the main genre in the charts. That, or you are just bias because you're a close-minded asshole who has a very limited range of music taste. Mind you i love rock & roll as well.

transcendent

HSC
N/A
rock n roll is king! i mean everybody relates to songs from backwater countries abouts polygamy, shotguns and sodomy, especially when the squealing guitar sings just like your wife does when you're about to slit her throat.

Last edited:

ur_inner_child

.%$^!@&^#(*!?.%$^?!.
HSC
illmatic said:

ew i don't think whoever wrote that knew what "syncopated" means...

illmatic said:
it's called an accent, musically. tone is pitch. If you don't believe me, try playing a line on piano... it involves one note.

anyway, sorry, i can't resist when someone tries to define a musical genre... but all in all, it was pretty well done?

illmatic

NaS
HSC
ur_inner_child said:
ew i don't think whoever wrote that knew what "syncopated" means...

it's called an accent, musically. tone is pitch. If you don't believe me, try playing a line on piano... it involves one note.

anyway, sorry, i can't resist when someone tries to define a musical genre... but all in all, it was pretty well done?

What the hell are you talking about? He mean's the pitch of the voice. He's saying now rapping didn't involve emphasising the last word by increasing the tone, or pitch, of the voice. He used the same tone, i.e, he made no adjustment to pitch. So what he said is perfectly correct.

otay

HSC
illmatic said:
What the hell are you talking about? He mean's the pitch of the voice. He's saying now rapping didn't involve emphasising the last word by increasing the tone, or pitch, of the voice. He used the same tone, i.e, he made no adjustment to pitch. So what he said is perfectly correct.
haha owned

Mumma

HSC
The word rap has its origins in rape, and the style of music seeks to emulate these audial designs. It includes constant verbal ear bashing, and violent scratchings. It is also a male dominated genre, and primarily enjoyed by those who seek to reject popular culture. It is an 'underground' genre, that frequently involves what outsiders understand as 'rap battles' - where one contender seeks to rap or 'rape' the other contender with their rhythms. The winner is declared the 'daddy' and instills a sense of awe in the aspiring rape artists. The authorities seek to stem this horrid practice, but are failing under the mass of followers.

Save the world. Don't listen to rap.

- Graves

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)