• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

This Lime-Tree Bower my Prison- HELP! (1 Viewer)

zaz_aly_ty

HSC
I was just wondering if anyone could please help me in understanding Coleridge's This Lime-Tree Bower my Prison poem.
I get the gist of it - he is under his "lime-tree" unable to undertake the journey through nature that his friends are on and it goes on to describe the expedition but i don't understand how or if it is an imaginative journey?
If anyone has any notes that comprise of techniques that show the imaginative journey it would be great!!! Thanks :)

exa_boi87

aka biomic
HSC
Ok, was in the same boat yesterday as I had only previously research ROAM ><,

Basically yes, This Lime Tree Bower is really just the embarking of an imaginative journey when the physical is impossible. Opening with the man who is injured, keeping him from leaving his 'prison' he ventures on this imaginative journey to experience what his friends would be, intially with resentment before contentment.

In order to prove that this is in fact an imaginative journey, ive focused on techniques including the onomataopeia of the rivers "roaring", constant alliteration of the softer sounds, and the infamous coleridge pantheism, creating a surreal environment with elements attributed to the traditional 'imaginative' journey.

Finding links in the text with imaginative journey will also largely depend on your thesis, so look for motif's, and develop your own definition of imaginative journeys, then use that to explore the text.

Last edited:

luridlysteph14

HSC
Firstly, ROAM guy I'd love some notes on that, if you'de be so kind. I just handed in my first essay on that. I picke dout about 7 or so techniques for that.

With Lime Tree Bower, you have to remember that not only is Coleridge going on a journey, but he's taking you with him.

The onamatopeia is very important, as obviously without HEARING the sound, he's imagining what it COULD be like.

The most imperetive thing to consider is that this isn't as such a PHYSICAL journey, as all he's doing is moaning about how his mean wife hurt his foot & he's sitting on his ass underneath this tree.

The journey is in different stages, and has an outcome.

He's angry with the friends, but as they stroll along the ledge, he starts to go with them because it's something so brilliant he can't possibly miss out on it.

Emerging beneath the "wide wide heavens" is your Christianity warning bell. He's included in in 3/4 of my poems, excluding KK.

Because he's appreciated Nature, like in RoAM, in which he's then free to be picked up by the Hermit, he achieves that spiritual enlightenment. He realises that even if he can't go, his friend (Charles, from memory) does & Coleridge realises that it's all worth it because his usually city-bound friend.

So it's the basic, be happy in thy happiness.

/notes.

My teacher said to make note that for the HSC, Coleridge is the TEXT, not four indiv. texts. So refer to them as "selected works" I guess.

Sar-bear-1

HSC
Does anyone have any ideas ad to how This Lime Tree Bower my prison is about speculation?? PLease help

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)