This Lime Tree Bower, My Prison (1 Viewer)

Lani89

HSC
Does anyone know of a good summary or analysis of this poem?

Dark Phoenix

HSC
In Lime Tree Bower my Prison, Coleridge is able to use his mind to trace a journey, an imaginative one that provides an escape from reality. It is this journey where personal understanding and fulfillment is undertaken. Coleridge uses blank verse in this conservational poem to invite the reader to listen and to establish a casual, yet reflective tone for the poem. [Cant remeber where i got this information from though] Hope it helped anyway

skip89

HSC
Sorry i have to disagree. The whole point of the poem and coleridge's imaginative journey is that it intimately connects him to reality, or more specifically to nature. Coleridge was a romantic (as in roman) and therefore believed in the healing powers of nature. With this in mind it is easier to understand the portrayal of his friend Charles Lamb, who being stuck in the city (industrial revolution and all the connotations) and going through personal tragedy (his sister killed his mother and tried to get his father or sumthing like that), is able to be rejuvenated in the presence of Nature.

skip89

HSC
Juxtapose "This lime-tree bower my prison" with "This little lie tree bower".
Symbolism- the ash tree which climbs through the dell to reach the sunlight is symbolic of Coleridge as he ascends from his prison and is able to see everything hile physically not moving.

Hope this helps.

nascent

HSC
[FONT=&quot]The poem This Lime-Tree Bower My Prison (1797) by Samuel Coleridge explores the use of speculation to escape a dim reality and find peace in an imagined place. Coleridge grows in this poem from being unhappy and pessimistic in the introduction into satisfied and dazed by Nature in the conclusion, this underlines the physical change bought on by an imaginative journey. He witnesses the physical journey his friends are on via his imagination, in true romantic style Coleridge is in awe by the beauty of nature and is happy that Charles (Coleridge’s friend from the city) can see such a spectacle. The reader feels the changing of Coleridge’s emotions from negative to positive as the poem develops this results in the idea that imaginative journey is more beneficial than physical.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]what do you guys think of this as a thesis? should i add or change anything?
[/FONT]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)