This weird "Before 9:00" rule! (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

D.Larie

I'm talking about public transport!
If we buy a ticket before 9:00am, we have to pay like twice as much.
I may be cheap but I want to save every dollar I can. :uhhuh:

When I get that student/concession card from my Uni, does that mean I only have to pay a Child's ticket?

I can't buy a weekly ticket because I only go to Uni for 4 days a week...

I can choose between lectures at 9:00 and 12:00.
Should I save some dollars (by the end of the year, I would've saved a lot) and go after 9:00?
But I'd prefer to go to the earlier lecture.

You probably feel like strangling me. :D

beccaxx

surprised things change
HSC
is this just for trains?
and im not able 2 get a concession card from uni cos i have a (very low paying) job. which totally SUCKS I AM SO MAD.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You'll still save money on the weekly ticket if you have 4 days a week. In terms of concession, you will not get an off-peak rate on your tertiary student concession, from where I live it's $4.40 return whether you buy at 6am or 12pm.

Last edited:

doe

HSC
N/A
yeah id get a weekly, for me it costs $4 return and a weekly costs $15.70 or thereabouts

you can also get off and on at any station in between the stations marked on the ticket, which i found very handy as most of my friends live along the trainline between the beginning and final destination. so if i want to go see a movie with them or whatever on saturday, or go out friday/saturday night i dont have to buy another ticket. that $4 saved is an extra beer :D

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
does the concession work on private bus companies? cuase i just realised i have to pay so much just to get to uni. I need to pay for a bus and then train

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
SashatheMan said:
does the concession work on private bus companies? cuase i just realised i have to pay so much just to get to uni. I need to pay for a bus and then train
yeh i think so, just say you're a student (sometimes show card) and u get the student price

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
SashatheMan said:
Private bus companies are different than state transit. You have to get a form from uni and everytime you get on the bus you have to show it to the bus driver - otherwise you will be paying a hell of a lot.

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
Student concession is half price of the adult peak fare, so a $12 adult fare will cost you $6.00 in peak time and $6.00 in off-peak time too (when the adult fare would be $7.20), so you're still saving money. A weekly ticket costs around 3.5 times the price of your ticket, so if you're going at least 4 times a week return, then you will save money. Even if you go 3 times and you just want a weekly ticket so you don't have to keep buying (ie. running late like I always am and have to run) then its good to have one.

If the weekly ticket would only benefit those who travel on all 7 days, then no would buy it, since most people only travel 5 days :p. I wish this point was made clear to the general public.

D.Larie

Right, a return ticket from Parramatta to the City is $2.20 after 9:00am.
Before 9:00 it's like $4.40.

If I buy a weekly ticket before 9:00, it'd be the same as buying a weekly ticket after 9:00?

Using the figures above, can you tell how much a weekly ticket will cost me?

Sorry, I'm no good at stuff like this. :eek:

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
A return ticket from Parramatta to City will cost you $4.40 regardless of the time. Just read the "Student" column. I think you misunderstood what I said above, because as you can see, it is half the price of the Adult peak fare which is $8.80 and is still less than the Adult off-peak fare of $5.40.

A weekly ticket will cost you $16.50 (half price of the Adult peak fare of $33.00), which is worth about 3.75 return trips for you. Obviously going to, say the City then back down to Central again in one day will mean you're using it up more and making more use of it. Remember, with a weekly ticket, you have unlimited travel between the locations listed on your ticket, so you can get off at Strathfield and Burwood as well if you want.

D.Larie

I checked out thye CityRail ticket page.

Is it possible for uni students like us to show our concession card and buy the Off Peak Return Pass for Child *assuming that we go to Uni after 9:00*?

tomekz

HSC
D.Larie said:
When I get that student/concession card from my Uni, does that mean I only have to pay a Child's ticket?

It should still work out to be the same for a weekly and a return etc.... for me if i got 4 return tickets ($4) times that by 4 gives me 16, a weekly costs me $15.50.

Regarding the tickets.... you cannot by a child ticket as you are a student much the same like you cannot buy a pensioner ticket u MUST buy a studnet ticket.....

baker182

HSC
Bob.J said:
yeh i think so, just say you're a student (sometimes show card) and u get the student price
That is incorrect, you will need a private bus card from the compay your wishing to use the card with.

tomekz

HSC
baker182 said:
That is incorrect, you will need a private bus card from the compay your wishing to use the card with.

Yup you also need to get a form from the uni you attend. Some private bus companies also need you to re-apply each semester.... really crap though....

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
baker182 said:
really? coz i get this private bus sometimes and just show my uni id card and they gimmie the student price
or maybe this is a smaller bus company

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)