• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

this whole resume business... (1 Viewer)

lala2

Banned
HSC
Right, I have viewed countless websites on making a resume and yet I don't feel I'm quite getting the hang of making a resume. As a uni student with only one prior job, do I need to include a skills summary, personal attributes, hobbies and all that stuff? btw, I'm looking for any kind of job, but particularly in a pharmacy (seeing as I do pharmacy), so if anyone has helpful hints on this, please let me know. I have attached my two best attempts at a resume, and I would like some comment please.

When I was handing out my resumes, I admit it was at a very bad time of the year (right after uni exams, when almost everything is filled up) and I handed out the 3-page one, but I feel it could be much improved upon. As for the shorter one, I feel it's too short, so please provide any comment at all on either or both of the two. THANK YOU!

P.S. Another thing--should I include my volunteer work with the uni as work experience? (see longer resume for details)

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Umm guys, there have been about 10 people viewing this, and not one of you has anything to say?! I really do want your criticism on this, so please, anything at all is good!

tennille

HSC
The first one is too short. You should include your achievements, hobbies and interests, skills, etc. The second one is much better.

Skeeta

HSC
the second one looks alright, the only thing i'd change is how you say you're available. You're making yourself look really picky.

Say something like, I am available full time during the 3 month period of university holidays, hoping to continue part time or casually when uni begins in march.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ah, finally some comment! Yes! Thanking you muchly--and yes, Skeeta, I just don't know if I could handle a part-time job during semester time, but I was thinking that statement stuck out a bit too much. Please keep the comments coming! Thanks!

iamsickofyear12

HSC
Your work experience should go on the first page because decisions will often be made based only on the first page.

I'd also reduce the amount of extracurricular activities. Some of them aren't so relevant and the shorter and more specific it is the better chance someone will read and pay attention to it.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Hmmm, yes, with that work experience section, I've only done one job so I reckoned my education would be an advantage. This is what several resume sites said as well, but now I'm not too sure....what about you guys? How did you order your resumes? And is the presentation alright?

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
Add a section of your personal skills and how they have been acquired and developed through previous work experiences, school or other activities that you have may have entered in/or completed. This will make you more marketable to the person interviewing you.

For example, one of the skills i wrote was patience and i wrote a paragraph saying something like Being an employee of blah blah blah, has exposed me to the stresses of working under pressure and the benefits of remaining calm and collected because of such and such reasons.

Other areas which you can focus on which could easily blend in with experiences you had acquired are:

- Communication: Since you were a tutor, you could write how you developed the importance of communication, as you help your students grasp certain concepts in this and this subject in a way they can understand and comprehend.

-Team work/co-operation: you can talk about how being part of the debating senior A team had taught you that success is brought not just by the individual but by effective communications, and the ability to work together.

-Organsational skills- You can write something about how you have gained great organsational skills as you had successfully put together programs such as this and this.

Last edited:

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ah thank you! So is it ok to write, in dot point form, something like what you said above? Or should I expand it into block sentences? Like

- Organisation--examples etc, or

(long form) My organisation skills were...

hopeles5ly

Take Me Higher.
HSC
N/A
lala2 said:
Ah thank you! So is it ok to write, in dot point form, something like what you said above? Or should I expand it into block sentences? Like

- Organisation--examples etc, or

(long form) My organisation skills were...
I did it in block sentences.

lala2

Banned
HSC
Ok, how about this format:

P.S. I've highlighted the bits I'm a bit umm about. The highlighted section of "other achievements" I'm not sure how I could integrate that into an "interests" section.

shimmy&shine

HSC
I'd also like to add that depending on the type of work you are looking for and which employers/companies you are handing it in to, your resume should be tailored for the job.

For example, for a junior journalism job, you would be looking at ONE SINGLE PAGE - and that's straight from the horse's mouth, because generally journos have short attention spans.

btw, my comment is aimed at anyone in general wanting advice on resumes.

lala2, i think you've covered all the main aspects. I've only read your first doc but how about 'Noteworthy achievements?' So this would be BIG awards and recognitions, volunteering, being published, etc.

Last edited:

minimalistik

HSC
The small number of interviews already, I have seen under the desk the resumes that are thrown out and it's basically because their experiences and skills don't fit the job they applied for. Make sure you list your work experience foremost, then your education then your interests and other achievements. Try to list the main things you achieved and you don't need to go into detail about it adding verbs and a lengthy description. Try and only list things you have done recently within the 1-2 years. You listed Swimming; well list that and say you have a high interest in it.

When you say attained top level in swimming, only if you were to apply a job as a swimming instructor would you need to describe those things.

This doesn't tell the employer anything:

Helper (August, 2006) (University of Sydney Careers Day for Girls)

• Set up and pack away tables
• Cover for a group leader
• Assist with roll call and distribution of name tags
• Distribution of lunch
• Keep order during guest lecture
unless you applied for a pre-school job of some sort. Everything else you have voluentered for is fine but remember to keep it succinct. You don't need to say setup and pack away tables? Who couldn't do that? Just list the main thing you did.

Example:
Helper (August, 2006) (University of Sydney Careers Day for Girls)

• Set up and pack away tables
• Cover for a group leader
• Assist with roll call and distribution of name tags
• Distribution of lunch
• Keep order during guest lecture

Change to:

Careers Day Student Advisor(August, 2006) (University of Sydney)

General Administration and pamplet/information advice

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
Well alot of the advice I have heard is to keep the resume to 2-3 pages and if you have only ever had 1 job, I would keep the resume shorter then the maximum.

atomicharri

HSC
I worked as a recruiter and the well presented resumes usually stand out.
We tend to look at:
1) experience
2) qualifications
3) hobbies and interests

very rarely will i do more than skim over what you write as your objective or what you think you can do for the X company in Y position. but that's not to say you don't need it - just don't put every ounce of energy into that or your cover letter.
remember, recruiters go through hundreds of resumes a day, and the last thing they want is a bland document. resumes are supposed to be eyecatching but down to the point because they are just the first step of the recruitment process. one thing you must put across is that you are sociable and "bubbly" in personality. recruiters love that kinda thing, even in roles where it's not really needed.

also, never put portrait photos of yourself
these tend to find their way to everyone's email in the office so we can all have a good laugh

and lastly, when submitting your resume, don't submit it in pdf or xls or whatever fancy format you think will possibly make your resume more appealing. i used to get very annoyed at pdf resumes cos you couldn't put them into the database properly and i just ended up chucking them in the trash.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)