those who have had their interviews (1 Viewer)

georgia86

how??

[umm
adel med question: " Mr X has a chronic disease and you evaluated him to be clinically depressed he wishes to hav euthanasia. the medication he is on has adverse side effects and he expresses that he no longer wishes to live if he has to keep having this medication. how would u respond to his wants?"[/QUOTE]

how would you guys answer this then? does it matter what you say or is it only important that your justification meets the criteria for being a good doctor?

HELP i am screwed.....i didn't know that adelaide and newcastle have scenario-based questions as well....

Yeah scenario-based questions are bit hairy. I think the best way we can prepare is to consider our stand-point on a variety of issues, like euthenasia. The best answers will no doubt be those which express empathy and compassion, and are within the realms of the law and of proper professional behaviour. Obviously since euthanasia is illegal (and I pray to God it stays that way) you wouldn't be advocating it as a choice to the patient. I personally would say that I would discuss it with Mr X, asking him about his fears and concerns. Then I would perhaps assess his medication to consider whether a different medication, with perhaps fewer medical benefits but which may provide a better state of happiness for Mr X, would be in order. After all, medicine is, as Patch Adams so wonderfully quoted, not just about prolonging death, but improving the quality of life.

georgia86

thanks - i thought that i'd say something along those lines but i wasnt sure how direct to be. its so hard to answer without knowing the specifics...you sound like a good doctory sort :)

inasero

Reborn
HSC
as Patch Adams so wonderfully quoted, not just about prolonging death, but improving the quality of life.
haha prolonging death? You mean preventing death!

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Be prepared to consider unorthodox ethical opinions. Just because something is illegal doesn't mean it's wrong* - you have to be able to distinguish between Medical Law and Medical Ethics.

*Likewise just because something is legal, it isn't necessarily Right.

Last edited:
Mmm very true. And some issues don't necessarily have a universal right or wrong answer. It depends on the individual's belief system and code of values. But still, I'd say that in the interviews, demonstrating a rebellion against medical law wouldn't be a great idea, no matter how high and mighty the medical ethics ideals behind the rebellion.

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yep right on the money there lexi...
in our ethics tutes-
"an act can be legal and ethical, legal and unethical, illegal and ethical or illegal and unethical..."

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer monash , adelaide and newcastle are wankers for having hairy questions..
UNSW is so striaght forward but theres a trick to it :S

mm so what do you suggest? I mean, my ramblings are based on zero actual experience with the interviews. How should you answer those questions? Is it good to be very decisive or to take a more philosophical view and weigh up the pros and cons subjectively? For some reason I'm not all that concerned with the questions - it doesn't seem like something one can prepare for. Still, if preparation is possible, let me have it! :p

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Imagine you're a doctor...then say what you imagine doctor you would do... :p

Unless of course they tell you to pretend you're a mother, like they did me.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
u hav to learn to see all perspectives..
then realise that ure not obligated to all of them.. just the patient's.. but u try and fit them in.. :)
had a nice tut where a bf was tryin to persuade his gf's doctor to convince her [the gf] to get an abortion.. needless to say that.. it was hard

hmm all terribly helpful, thankyou. lol
Oh well, I'll live. I'm sure I can figure something out and if they don't like what I have to say then tough! Their loss.

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Actually no, because then they'll just get someone else to teach doctoring to, and you'll be back next year.

I really think it's your loss. :p

Beats

HSC
Hey guys- i've got my interview in december so i'm not one of the lucky first-rounders (but obviously really happy about getting interview at all) and am really nervous about it - just so i'm not completely thrown when i'm in there - what exactly could they ask about childhood memories etc? Also, do they ask about medical experience/volunteering and school/non-school achievements?
Thanks for your time.

Which uni are we talking? Presumably UNSW...and in that case I'd say DON'T STRESS! It's really easy in many ways. They ask a lot about family relationships, your friends, and childhood experiences which you can answer easily just from memory obviously cos it's all about you! One trick is to be aware that they may ask the same question several times, but a bit differently each time. Mine was about how people see me, and what qualities I bring to med. I answered them exactly the same each time, which was a hint from various med students I know! It proves to them that you are consistent in your life and in your convictions.
Make sure you have an answer for why you want to do med. Make it concise and remember to say that you're aware of the challenges as well as the benefits.
You'll be fine!! Late round ain't bad! And if you don't get in next year, don't take it badly. Use it as an opportunity to broaden your life and health industry experiences. I did, and it's been great!

Beats

HSC
Hey thanks! It is UNSW- i'm glad because people have posted saying that they even enjoyed their interview! I guess i'll just think about the questions that could come up - but not sound too prepared right? Thanks again for the advice!
Btw- if they ask about what i would do if not successful this year, would it be ok to say vet science (which is realistically what i would look into- apart from trying for next year or post-grad)?

Yep, saying vet science would be fine, as it shows you've thought about alternatives. If you want to prove your committment to med I'd say that you'd be using that course as an interim, as you've heard it provides a good grounding for med or something like that.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
hmm my back up was pharm..
but hey i got vet instead :)

best bet is say ull do sumfing and persuade grad entry med :)

Beats

HSC
How many people are usually at the UNSW interview? And do they all ask the questions?

They have two people on the interview panel, a man and a woman. In my interview they kind of took turns but mainly the guy asked the questions. They were so nice though, and actually acknowledged what I said with smiles and kind of affirming noises lol. So it is like you're just having a kind of structured chat with someone. Just be honest and sincere. Be yourself! They just want to see who you are, so don't stress. You'll be fine. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)