those who have had their interviews (1 Viewer)

ishq

brown?
HSC
hello ppls! good luck for all your interviews!

im just starting yr 12...and in the past few months....when ive actually begun to think about a career...and medicine as a career...(prior to which doctors, to me, where just godlike nerds born wearing white lab coats)....its actually begun to interest me. Ive been doing some research, about how to get in..etc etc...and the procedure, though straight forward, is somewhat like an elimination process..where only 'the chosen one' gets through. I dont come from a very medicin-y background - so i am at a loss at that front too..

Ive been reading the posts in this thread and someone said that prior experience in nursing homes and hospitals is good.....ive been trying to get some volunteer work opportunities at the nearest hospital..but they discourage me because i am a junior...how should i go about it? any places i can go? i have absolutely nil work experience as i did studied yr 10 overseas as a part of this program...

Also, any tips from the veterans would be very very much appreciated!

inasero

Reborn
HSC
yeah work experience is good i guess....but remember you dont have to go to a nursing home or a gp clinic or hospital...i guess the best kind of experience is where you understand the holistic approach to health (i.e. not being comprised only of a pathological basis). So I would recommend working in a charity organization like the Salvos, Vinnies Meals on Wheels, whatever!

I agree. Any experience in improving the living standards of others is great. Depending on the dedication of your careers advisor/principal/year adviser or whoever else you should possibly be able to line up some work experience in a hospital, especially a local teaching hospital if there is one. You'd then be covered under work experience insurance so it should be fine. But yeah, anything is good. I worked for a salvos youth centre for a year, which they seemed to like. And maybe get some part time medical reception work if you can? They love that too.

ishq

brown?
HSC
i spoke to my careers advisor, and it seems i am no longer covered under work experience insurance.
i got some work though..which is good!..
any other advice?
thanks

Beats

HSC
crap! have not done work experience and interview is on thursday! do you think that being involved in interact (fundraising club) at school is ok to mention? also have done some local rotary club stuff like volunteering on mchappy day - but no actual 'work' like receptionist etc. obviously really dont want to lie in interview but will they accept me saying that i plan to volunteer at masonic homes or the like in the future - i mean, anyone could say that...i'm so lost - did they focus on this in the interview?

Fosweb

I could be your Doctor...
HSC
Work experience means nothing if you still go into the interview with arrogance surrounding your work experience, or with an air suggesting that you are doing the work experience simply to strengthen your application.

Out of the 30-40 questions (I cant remember if it was that much) they ask you one about work experience.

It's already been said here that they are looking for the type of person you are.

Work experience shows you are interested. Working somewhere shows you can interact with and deal with people both socially and professionally. Think of other examples of where you would use these skills, and talk about this.

This holidays I (well we all do) have to write <3500 words saying what I did this year to cover what they wanted me to do, and what I plan to do next year to cover the things they wanted me to do, yet I didnt get the chance to cover.

I'm sure you'd be fine saying that you want to get some experience with this, and you plan to do work experience [wherever]. Just make sure that you 'are' actually planning (or have organised for the future) this, so that you're not just talking through your teeth...

And relax. Be friendly, smile, show that you can communicate well. Remember they want doctors for the future that will communicate well, thats the point of this selection process.

ishq

brown?
HSC
i was just wondering, in the interviews, do they ask you about your HSC subjects? Any subjects which are "preffered"? As a background?

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
yer but its a real bitch to turn up to a med course without some basic grounding in science..

lik everyone who turned up with lik a bio background didnt hav to work so hard ... but hey its builds character..

btw HI Kim :D

ishq

brown?
HSC
If you take a sneak peek at the HSC/Prelim biology syllabus, you will realise that it is hardly an advantage. The topic of the human body is hardly touched upon.

On the other hand, if you mean that this background will help getting into the train of thought needed for medicine, then i agree.

You know how they say that a UAI of 95+ is required to even dream about getting into medicine.....is that purely fact or purely fiction?

that's so not true! Well it is about the prelim bio syllabus. But HSC bio is all about body systems and diseases and stuff. One module is called Search for Better Health (don't think u can get more medically relevant than that!) another is Maintaining a Balance which is all about how the body regulates itself and stuff. One of the options is genetics...so yeah it's definitely all helpful. And HSC bio is awesome too - i loved it! Prelim was somewhat dull but the HSC course is great. I so recommend it, especially if you're looking to do med. Chemistry is great too!

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
i did phys anc chem lolz
yer i kno bio will help cos one of the guys in uni .. did HSC bio and lik 2nd week in he wasnt as clueless as me.. and it happens to lots of ppl.. cos lik basic grounding prevents misconceptions... especialli if ure trying to learn quickly
UAI of 95+ ... lolz u need more towards 100 than 95... judgin by the ppl in there..
in other unis.. the least ive seen someone survive on is 90.. u can getin on 90 with special access scheme.. lik ure a rural student..

inasero

Reborn
HSC
If you take a sneak peek at the HSC/Prelim biology syllabus, you will realise that it is hardly an advantage. The topic of the human body is hardly touched upon.
I don't agree with your assumption either. Come to Med and you'll see what I mean.

ishq

brown?
HSC
Joytotheworld! said:
that's so not true! Well it is about the prelim bio syllabus. But HSC bio is all about body systems and diseases and stuff. One module is called Search for Better Health (don't think u can get more medically relevant than that!) another is Maintaining a Balance which is all about how the body regulates itself and stuff. One of the options is genetics...so yeah it's definitely all helpful. And HSC bio is awesome too - i loved it! Prelim was somewhat dull but the HSC course is great. I so recommend it, especially if you're looking to do med. Chemistry is great too!

inasero said:
I don't agree with your assumption either. Come to Med and you'll see what I mean.

My mistake. Sorry.

I was actually looking forward to Genetics being our options - but we got stuck with the human story - which is quite slow and requries all class time to be spent browsing on the internet looking for 'secondary sources'.

And yes! I want to come to Med!

no chance of being a 'rural student'...unless you can call the north shore rural in disguise..

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)