• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

those with online accounts (2 Viewers)

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
yay CBA now got an online savings account :D

http://www.netbanksaver.com.au/

5.40% pa cal. daily and paid monthly with no monthly fees.
As long as you have deposits over $5,000 there. Might as well get a decent account with ATM access instead and dump the Commonwealth. You'll need to keep a transaction account with them as well which results in fees somewhere down the line :D

theone123

blue essence
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
As long as you have deposits over $5,000 there. Might as well get a decent account with ATM access instead and dump the Commonwealth. You'll need to keep a transaction account with them as well which results in fees somewhere down the line :D
hassle of remember 1000 usernames and passwords, its link with my streamline so its ok for me

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
theone123 said:
hassle of remember 1000 usernames and passwords, its link with my streamline so its ok for me
Your choise, I have 2 accounts, both high interest, both give me atm access and have no monthly or netbank fees, one I use for share trading as well, if you don't do share trading you only need to remember one :)

klh

HSC
for your st george one, is it a normal account or online?
i want to know if i can check my normal account online?

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
HellVeN said:
Be wary of key loggers - programs that store every key that you type on your keyboard. They can be pretty hard to detect sometimes. Just make sure that you have a nice antivirus and don't download suspicious files without having scanned them for viruses. A nice firewall on top of that and you shoud be fine.
I know. I wrote a few keyloggers a few years ago. Opening a new window doesn't give you any more protection from them.

LeftrightOut

Needs more cowbell
HSC
N/A
A new browser window is just to destroy any iframe or frame that might be communicating with a remote server without your knowledge. It doesn't do much good if you are compromised through a browser hijack, have a toolbar on there, a trojan on PC, run through a bad DNS or proxy etc etc.

The better banks make you use your mouse to click on the numbers representing your pin, and the order of the numbers on the screen changes everytime you log on so it's not like a memorised sequence that can be reused or guessed. The only way someone could get in then is via a realtime screen cap or a spoofed DNS/proxy combination that reroutes your request through itself. Although this is when you would hit a certificate incompatibility as the cert is a little trickier to duplicate properly through the issuing authority and the stream needs to be decoded then sent on.

It is interesting to note that the changing position of numbers would probably go a long way to thwart the over the shoulder thieves or camera ones at the ATM as the position would change everytime. The problem would be accessibility for the blind and durability of the screens displaying the changing numbers.

Last edited:

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
LeftrightOut said:
A new browser window .... <snip>.... durability of the screens displaying the changing numbers.
Excellent Answer. Ta.

Reppable, but for the "You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to LeftrightOut again." problem.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)