Thoughts: Hospitality 2014 Discussion (1 Viewer)

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
2012 was cultural diversity so i dont think it will be that. i also think it will be about environment sustainability.
okay thanks sounds good!
i think haccp will be commercial cookery - how should we prepare for this.. i wouldnt know how to apply haccp to particular foods - it is not in the textbook! :cry:

nourah how did your go in your trials? cssa or independent?
I received 87%, however only lost marks because I missed an 5 marker (I was going to shoot myself!). I think it was CSSA, but my teacher changed a many of the questions. I am not quite sure.

What textbook are using? I can send you a PDF version of mine, its very helpful!

Basically, HAACP is all about identifying and eradicating contamination during critical part of food production. They would ask something along the lines of "Outline HAACP, and its relevance to the HOSPO industry" or something. So you would define HAACP, introduce the 7 steps, and underlying prinicples. Then you would say how this relates to hospo industry, and its importance. Something such as making sure chef locates critical control points, and ensure that they manage it properly by undertaking appropiate measures. For example, when a person is receiving fresh meat stock it should be at 5 degrees. You should note its not all about the cooking process. You can talk about recieving stock, how long food should be held for, critical foods such as meats etc. Hope that helps. Message me if you need more help!

Last edited:

harvey1997

HSC
N/A
THANK YOU SO MUCH!! :)

Im using cambridge hospitality - it is okay but not enough for a A+ response.

trungduong12

HSC
I received 87%, however only lost marks because I missed an 5 marker (I was going to shoot myself!). I think it was CSSA, but my teacher changed a many of the questions. I am not quite sure.

What textbook are using? I can send you a PDF version of mine, its very helpful!

Basically, HAACP is all about identifying and eradicating contamination during critical part of food production. They would ask something along the lines of "Outline HAACP, and its relevance to the HOSPO industry" or something. So you would define HAACP, introduce the 7 steps, and underlying prinicples. Then you would say how this relates to hospo industry, and its importance. Something such as making sure chef locates critical control points, and ensure that they manage it properly by undertaking appropiate measures. For example, when a person is receiving fresh meat stock it should be at 5 degrees. You should note its not all about the cooking process. You can talk about recieving stock, how long food should be held for, critical foods such as meats etc. Hope that helps. Message me if you need more help!
Do u prepare notes for hospo??
Theres so many things to rmb
Esp. acts and legislations
Do u learn every single one of them ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi trungduong12,

Yes, I did. I summarised the Cambridge textbook. And you're right, the syllabus is very extensive, and heavy. For acts and legalisation, many of them are self-explanatory. In saying that, most people can look at a law and know what it is. For hospo, you don't need to know laws/regs in depth. Its a matter of being able to define it, and relate to the hospo industry. For example, Racial Dis. The name says it all. Its a law that stipulates that discrimination based on race is illegal etc. There are really only 20 laws or so you need to remember, and when you recieve a question in hospo that relate to the concepts below it is important to use laws.

Hygiene
- Food Act 2003 (NSW) (as amended) - offense to sell contaminated food, must conform to food standards, EHO has rights to enter etc

Liquor licensing legislation - location of alchohol, time to sell alchol, drinking age, employee qualifications
- Liquor Act 1982 (NSW)
- Liquid Amendment Act 2000

Environment - no smoking in public areas to protect customers/workers
- Smoke-free Environment Act 2000 (NSW)
- Smoke-free Environment Regulation 2001

Gaming - who plays games, where games are located, number/type of games allowed, fair price for prizes etc
- Gaming Machines Act 2001 (NSW) (as amended)
- Gaming Machines Regulations 2002 (NSW)

Health and safety - everyone has duty of care, theyre goals to improve health/safety of all people
- WHS Act
- WHS Regulations

Workers compensation - relating to compensation given when an employee is injuried from work, protects them, stipulates all establishments must have a form of insurance to protect, help in medical, social cost
- Workers Compensation Act 1987 NSW (as amended)
- Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998 NSW

Consumer protection and trade practices - protect consumers, governing product safety, product info guidlines - no misleading info
- Fair Trading Act 1987 (NSW) (as amended)
- Trade Practices Act 1974 (Cth) (as amended)

Workplace relations - employment contracts etc min pay, hours, leaves
- Workplace Relations Act 1996 (Cth) (as amended)

EEO - elimination of discrimination that cause inequality, establishments over 100 must submit plan over how they can do that
- EEO (Cth Authorities) Act 1987 (Cth)
- Equal Opportunity for Women in the Workplace Act 1999 (Cth)

Anti-discrimination - promoting equality, eridicating discrimination
- Anti-Discrimination Act 1977 (NSW)
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984 (Cth)
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975 (Cth)
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 (Cth)

Privacy - privacy standards when dealing with personal info, covers collection, use etc,
- Privacy Act 1988 (Cth)
- Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 (NSW)

Use these as these are the main ones, and apply them to the hospo industry. There are a few more. Usually when you know what aspect it is from, you an address the question. For eg. if you know its a law regarding environment - it generally involves protecting environment, waste etc. A chef could minimise harm by not pouring oil down sink, etc!

Message me if you need any further help!

xshakhtour

HSC
oaw, if anyone has notes please send them to me, honestly we were never given a textbook... so cramming was a great option lol,

joelmckenzie

HSC
You forgot the protection of environmental operations act (POEO) 1997 (NSW) and amendments. POEO is the mean NSW environmental legislation covering water, land, air, noise pollution and waste management.

trungduong12

HSC
does trial mark/rank influence your hsc mark?
No
VET course only takes into account hsc exam mark
Ur trials only is used as an estimate if u have illness/misadventure on the day of ur vet exam , say hospitality
In brief, that one mark on the day determines ur HSC mark ==> ATAR

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
You forgot the protection of environmental operations act (POEO) 1997 (NSW) and amendments. POEO is the mean NSW environmental legislation covering water, land, air, noise pollution and waste management.
Whoops, my bad!

MrTammoth

HSC
No
VET course only takes into account hsc exam mark
Ur trials only is used as an estimate if u have illness/misadventure on the day of ur vet exam , say hospitality
In brief, that one mark on the day determines ur HSC mark ==> ATAR

Wrong!

your trials mark is contributing 50%
and HSC is 50%.

MrTammoth

HSC
btw i talked to my teacher

she said probs haccp, environmentally sustainable ways, WHS & workflow.

she's like chillax it's category B subject. Ya'll do fine.

joelmckenzie

HSC
I think he's talking in terms of the hospitality subject, which is indeed a VET course. VET courses only depend on your mark in the HSC exam, thus trials have no effect.

MrTammoth

HSC
I think he's talking in terms of the hospitality subject, which is indeed a VET course. VET courses only depend on your mark in the HSC exam, thus trials have no effect.
sorry so confused.

i thought taking Hospitality for HSC: trials is worth 100% of your internals and HSC hospitality exam externals is 100%.

so 50% of internals and 50% of externals?

dis shat my teacher sez

trungduong12

HSC
Wrong!

your trials mark is contributing 50%
and HSC is 50%.
Read the BOSTES rules and procedures for determining the HSC mark for VET courses i.e. hospitality

BTW ur dp is so scary -.- i dont wanna hv nightmare ~~ pls dnt reply to my posts thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

MrTammoth

HSC
I explained it very clear in my previous post and what that person said above ^ is exactly the same as mine
Whatever up to u

Fk ur dp !

lel sozza u replied at same time i replied so didn't see your previous post when i replied with your reply. K by gonna reply

futuremidwife

HSC
Uni Grad
btw i talked to my teacher

she said probs haccp, environmentally sustainable ways, WHS & workflow.

she's like chillax it's category B subject. Ya'll do fine.
It wont be WHS. It was asked last year. It'll prob be environmental sustainability.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)