Thoughts on B. Information Systems @ UNSW? (1 Viewer)

dukeofduke

HSC
General thoughts?

It sounds like a decent degree, but wanted to get an idea about what to expect and everyone's opinion on the course/degree.

Is it worth it?

How's the degree itself?

What opportunities does it have, in university and beyond (First years can snag a spot in the co-op? / Transfer to B. Comm etc? / job prospect)

I honestly have no idea and most of my research leads me to people talking about Information Systems as a major, and not about the actual degree itself...

I'm just looking into getting into banking.

FlyingKanga

The optimistic pessimist.
HSC
Bump, I wanna know this as well. Surprised someone made the thread for me :p

Chronost

Ex CAG auditor - current CAG deal-maker
HSC
Are you looking to do IS in banking or commercial banking as in more finance/accounting related? I think the answer is pretty clear from there. - the degree definitely offers you the chance - you just need to work a bit to get there in terms of Marks/ECs/Interview

dukeofduke

HSC
Would it be easier to do a different course, say, business / commerce at UTS/MQ rather than stick to IS in UNSW?

I don't know... I just need to pick a course, LOL, and am unsure what to go for...

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
@dukeofduke

If you're lucky maybe 2 or so spots will open up in first year (sometimes none). But realistically unless you have decent ECs; no chance.

Transfer to commerce is relatively easy. Just get 75 wam. If youre good enough to get into UNSW this shouldn't be a problem.

Job opportunities. Highest out of any commerce field imo. I know dropkicks who have failed subs and have no ECs working at pretty big places (big4 acct firms/banks/insurance).

IS major is less technical based than the IS degree; reducing job opportunities into certain areas. It really good to have knowledge of these aspects regardless if you enter an area that specifically doesn't require it.

By banking, what do you mean? Please elaborate.

dukeofduke

HSC
@dukeofduke
Job opportunities. Highest out of any commerce field imo. I know dropkicks who have failed subs and have no ECs working at pretty big places (big4 acct firms/banks/insurance).
You're talking about this degree or the major?

By banking I mean, just broadly speaking, i'd like to go into the financial service industry, but i'd rather not go into the accounting/ auditing side. Just anything i'd be able to use my brain to both be creative and apply my knowledge/ skills. (Systems analyst / Economist/ Finance advisory)

Would you suggest doing B. IS or B. IS and head into commerce, or ... any other alternatives. I'm all ears lol.

I'm looking into just getting my foot into the door of financial services for starters, and from there I would get a clear picture of what i specifically want to do. I got a general idea, right now though, so long as it's not accounting.

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
I was referring to IS in general.

I'd say do a double degree.

dukeofduke

HSC
Is it difficult to transfer from B.IS to B.Comm/IS ?

Also... would the transfer effect how long i'm doing the course in any way?

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
Is it difficult to transfer from B.IS to B.Comm/IS ?

Also... would the transfer effect how long i'm doing the course in any way?
Just get 75 wam.

A single degree is 3 years, double is 4 years. But other than this, no difference as the subjects you do in first year cross over

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)