Thoughts on Bachelor of Arts (Advanced)? (1 Viewer)

Discus_Man

HSC
Am starting this new course, and thinking if it's just the uni's fight against the premise that humanities = bludge. (LAWL).

On a more serious note, what do you guys think about this 'higher level' humanities course and whether many people's pre-disposition against humanities is largely justified?

MetalTheory

HSC
Uni Grad
what university is this at?
Sydney. It's the only university which offers such a course.

You could look at it that way, but I don't think so. Doing Arts (Advanced) means you're placed straight into the second year of a regular Arts and thus get a pick of senior units of study. I think it's the university's way of selecting students who would be ready to be placed in more demanding courses, and that shows in the high ATAR requirement.

Discus_Man

HSC
Metal Theory yes before November 2011 USYD was only uni in Aus that did it.... but now Adelaide Uni does it as well :p.

Thanks for the kind words, because whenever asked what degree I do, people hearing arts instantly think bludge, when it really was my #1 preference and I actually WANT to do english and philosophy aha. YES I LIKE ENGLISH :speechless: .

But yes I'm curious as to people's genuine opinions of humanities as a whole when dis-regarding the people that bludge their way thru them for easy degrees

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
Metal Theory yes before November 2011 USYD was only uni in Aus that did it.... but now Adelaide Uni does it as well :p.

Thanks for the kind words, because whenever asked what degree I do, people hearing arts instantly think bludge, when it really was my #1 preference and I actually WANT to do english and philosophy aha. YES I LIKE ENGLISH :speechless: .

But yes I'm curious as to people's genuine opinions of humanities as a whole when dis-regarding the people that bludge their way thru them for easy degrees
wait you want to do english and philosophy in an arts degree too?

bladeys

HSC
N/A
HAHAHAHAHAHA

An ADVANCED Arts Degree

HAHAHAHAHAHA

Discus_Man

HSC
wait you want to do english and philosophy in an arts degree too?
Nah they're my two majors :p. So pre much my arts degree IS them.

And yes was surprised Humanities had the capacity for advanced level ;D.

alstah

HSC
Uni Grad
I was seriously considering this BA (Adv.) (Hons.) degree if I didn't get into Combined Law. If you're aiming for a first year transfer into Law, then i highly recommend you study a normal Arts degree. The BA (Adv.) (Hons.) skips the junior units and throws you straight into the senior units. This might be difficult for you because you're not used to learning university content, and the essays require critical thinking skills that are highly developed in year 1. Hence, your GPA might not be as high if you did a normal Arts degree. For transfers the difficulty of the course isn't taken into consideration...only the GPA (and ATAR).

If your intending to study a postgraduate course (JD for Law, DMD for Dent or MD/MBBS for Med), then the BA (Adv.) (Hons.), might be a good idea. Because you do the honours, the research is tremendous and this will definitely come into consideration for the JD, I think the USyd JD website said that competitive applicants will be those from research oriented courses.

Apart from this, I can't see much of a difference from studying a normal Arts degree. The BA (Adv.) (Hons.) certainly helps you accelerate postgraduate studies and possibly provides you with essential skills to excel in postgrad courses (especially research). Nevertheless, a normal Arts degree will still teach you the valuable skills for future study and the skills which are overwhelmingly useful for all future career options.

Last edited:

EvangelionZeta

HSC
If you want an actual enhanced Arts degree, check out the ANU's PhB program. It lets students go well and truly beyond what is normally offered at undergraduate level - you can do postgrad-style research early, and can also design your own subjects...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)