• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

thoughts on general maths ? (1 Viewer)

indo246

HSC
ive heard stories about general maths which make it seem awful :L
i need advice on people who might've taken it or know a bit more than just "stories" which they've heard.

i just got back my 2 unit adv. results and i got below 50% for my prelims :(

so im contemplating dropping to general - will it be too easy ?
or am i just giving up too early ? :/

Dystocia

HSC
Don't drop to general, it's too easy. Unless you absolutely fail at maths. Just work harder next time.

indo246

HSC
but i dont know, because my teacher was like - these questions were 'hsc style' questions - in other words, 'the type of questions that might appear in the hsc,' and trust me, they were pretty damn hard (well for me at least) :L

Dystocia

HSC
Discuss this with your teacher. If I were you I'd stick with it and study harder to improve my marks, and if I saw no improvement then I'd drop since it's harder to move up than it is to drop down :)

indo246

HSC
crap thing is, i dropped from ext. 1 maths to adv. maths, and now i wanna drop to general maths :(

ive been failing all year, all because i misunderstood the general difficulty of maths....

ericaerica

HSC
Don't give up. My first test for prelims this year I got around 30% then half yearlies I got around 60%, just did yearlies and I'm feeling pretty confident...
If you once thought that you COULD do adv, then you probably can.
For me, I was overwhelmed with the different style it was in and stuffed up big time.

U

username_1

ive heard stories about general maths which make it seem awful :L
i need advice on people who might've taken it or know a bit more than just "stories" which they've heard.

i just got back my 2 unit adv. results and i got below 50% for my prelims :(

so im contemplating dropping to general - will it be too easy ?
or am i just giving up too early ? :/
I warned you at the start of the year, you did not listen! This is what you get.

kfnmpah

HSC
Don't drop to general. I'm currently writing lesson plans for prelim general and it's making me cringe at the fact that so many people still struggle with it.

It's pretty much just year 10 work all over again with slightly more probability, statistics and financial (barely).

If maths was taught well in junior years, general maths would be completely redundant, but alas it is not.

I blame teachers having low expectations of their kids and therefore lowering their teaching standards or just generally not giving a fuck.
Teachers need to get their shit together. Especially in maths, people see numbers and freak out before they even know what they're meant to do. You can't just hand out a sheet, talk at kids and expect them to learn.

Anyway, don't drop to general. It's vegie maths and a waste of time. Just go see your teacher for help. That's what they're getting paid for.

amity

HSC
General Maths is so painfully easy, I cant help but laugh at people who complain about maths.
At least 50 people in my school knew after the AT1 before AP1 that they would drop cause none of them could pass the test.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)