Thoughts on hsc subjects (1 Viewer)

may22

HSC
not sure about the hsc course, but personally i find ext english to be easier than adv, because adv is quite rigorous in what you need to write and analyse, where ext is really philosophical and the analysis is a lot deeper. however, if you're not a big fan of english at first, don't take ext - it's not really the kind of subject where there's a set structure you can follow to get good marks, you just need to analyse really deeply and develop your personal voice.
Agreed^
It's much more independent based, and you're literally free to structure your responses however you want as long as you maintain sophisticated language and cohesion, and express your points clearly

Epicman69

HSC
Thoughts on any subjects on general? Any subject regrets? Any pros and cons of any subject?
In year 11 rn, about to do my 3u maths trials and hsc since im accelerated for it. All I can say is you can take the prelim course easy, don't stress if you don't get like a 90+ or something, I got like 50% on all my assessments for my prelim course (ranked like 76/120~) and I am currently ranked in the top 20 for the hsc course. Only regret is that I made too many silly mistakes for my second hsc assessment which brought my rank down significantly (from 2nd), but hopefully my video project and my trials can bring my rank back up lmao.

yao_jahang

HSC
should i take the prelim course of advanced seriously? because im doing hsc advanacd next year as im also in accelerated.

HSC
should i take the prelim course of advanced seriously? because im doing hsc advanacd next year as im also in accelerated.
I dont think prelim really matter since usually prelims marks are used for early entries to uni and since your in year 10 it shouldn't be much of stress. I'm also accelerating in maths and I dont think advanced really matters if you r gonna do 4u unless ur schools has limited spots for 4u otherwise should be fine

Epicman69

HSC
All I can say is make sure you understand the contents and concepts for prelims, do your best and it's fine if it isn't 90+ or whatever, but obviously don't just straight troll it like me.

ExtremelyBoredUser

Bored Uni Student
HSC
any tips?
Don't be behind your class in terms of content, you don't have to be ahead of your class but you must not fall behind, can't stress this enough especially for subjects like maths or physics. If you're struggling with algebra in your ext 1 classes, really brush up on those Yr 9-10 questions and get comfortable rather than trying to aimlessly complete seemingly hard questions etc.

I would recommend studying ahead in these subjects so when you do learn the content so you feel more familiar with it in class and you can already ask questions you might have; on this note, don't go learning topics way too ahead as a form of study because you can get confused if you go too far, unless your truly fascinated. You don't need to always be ahead and in certain cases its worse off learning content before being taught so try experimenting which works for best for you, simply learning the content at the pace of the class or going ahead - I did a mix of both and it worked out fine.

Thats really the biggest tip I can give because year 11 hasn't posed much new problems that you might've faced in junior years if you've been studious and well prepared, not to say its a cakewalk but it should be reasonable. I enjoyed my prelim year quite a bit, prior to the lockdown of course.. But other than that, best luck.

zizi2003_

HSC
I would have done history as well. History was my favourite subject in Year8, learning about dynasties and empires. But the essays killed it for me in the senior years, if only it remained a 8 mark question subject lie bio
bro history essays are completely diff to english tho and wayyy more fun
but yeah, i'd say Bio is still better than History nonetheless in terms of the content

may22

HSC
bro history essays are completely diff to english tho and wayyy more fun
but yeah, i'd say Bio is still better than History nonetheless in terms of the content
Year 12 bio over prelim anytime...right?

zizi2003_

HSC
Year 12 bio over prelim anytime...right?
ABSOLUTELYYY!
prelim Bio was yuck and too basic for my liking LOL. Im sure you'll love genetics and infectious diseases in year 12

laterz laterz

HSC
business is drier than the droughts that nsw farms got
lol I am currently doing business studies and I find it really fun for some reason. It might get repetitive at times but there's stuff that is both fun and useful. I feel like it's all about the way u study. If u study like u just wanna get through a dry subject, you will find it boring and vice-versa. I'd say if u find it boring, maybe try a different way of studying - maybe watch videos or do past papers as a form of learning.

may22

HSC
ABSOLUTELYYY!
prelim Bio was yuck and too basic for my liking LOL. Im sure you'll love genetics and infectious diseases in year 12
Yeah year 11 feels like a blob of year 10 revision with just a few more concepts....I literally can not wait to start year 12

osciggyz

HSC
eco is pretty good, chem is decent and 4u is sometimes fun and sometimes torture

icycledough

HSC
4U and Chemistry were my best by far, while the thought of English just made want to kill myself sometimes (in basic terms, I absolutely loathed it, but hey, there's no other way around it)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)