Thoughts on my year 11 and year 12 subjects selections (1 Viewer)

talha_ahmed2004

HSC
Hey guys. I'm in year 10 and I've selected the following subjects for year 11 and year 12 :

-Advanced maths
-Standard English
-Business Studies
-Software design and development(SSD)
-physics
-Biology

I'm aiming for a 92 ATAR so I can study computer science at the University of Sydney (90 ATAR requirement). Is it achievable with my subjects and can I have some input perhaps some difficulties I may encounter with these subjects? I am thinking of changing SSD to modern history or another subject, so should i because in my school they don't really teach you coding in SSD they expect you to already know I think which could cause difficulties for me in the future.

Attachments

beetree1

HSC
I would suggest picking up Advanced English over standard as the exams are only slightly harder but standard marking is a lot more harsh and requires the same amount of preparation as Advanced, and also because Adv scales SIGNIFICANTLY better.

I would also look into taking Extension 1 Maths if you do reasonably okay in maths (or maybe even Extension 2) because it seems like 4 whole subjects that require a solid understanding of concepts and theory would be extremely hard to balance during prelims and especially the HSC, and this one extra unit of math doesn't actually require memorisation, it is just practice so I believe it would be really beneficial for you.

talha_ahmed2004

HSC
I mean right now I am doing the 5.2 course, In the last exam I got 83 percent due to all my stupid mistakes, and I am hoping 95+ for my yearly. And for English, as I came from overseas a few years ago English has been my weakest subject and I am not really good at it overall.

quickoats

HSC
I would suggest picking up Advanced English over standard as the exams are only slightly harder but standard marking is a lot more harsh and requires the same amount of preparation as Advanced, and also because Adv scales SIGNIFICANTLY better.

I would also look into taking Extension 1 Maths if you do reasonably okay in maths (or maybe even Extension 2) because it seems like 4 whole subjects that require a solid understanding of concepts and theory would be extremely hard to balance during prelims and especially the HSC, and this one extra unit of math doesn't actually require memorisation, it is just practice so I believe it would be really beneficial for you.
Advanced and standard scale the same. They do align differently which means standard is marked a bit "harsher". I would say that the "scaling" argument for standard and advanced only really applies to those gunning for 99.5+ but for everyone else, just pick the one you feel comfortable with. The alignment intends to make the marks equivalent i.e. a person who got 75 in standard would have the same competence as someone who got 75 in advanced. This only really impacts band 6s (which are not necessary especially considering OPs goal ATAR).

edit: If you are ESL, I would suggest advanced only if you're really comfortable and happy to do it. Standard plays with much simpler texts which you will be able to grasp much easier, and which won't overwhelm you unlike the texts in advanced. This means you can focus on your writing rather than stressing out about the actual books (I did standard myself and it's nothing to be ashamed of)

Have a think about extension maths - this may be quite helpful for a future in computing. Other than that, I think that this is a good set of subjects (if you're interested) which will provide some variety to your studies :)

HSC
N/A
A friend of mine got just above 92 ATAR and he also did Advanced Maths, Standard English and Business Studies. If you think SDD will be too hard for you I think doing IPT instead might be a better option. It doesn't scale great but it's easy to get a band 6 in it as long as you study regularly and do well in your assignments/exams.

As suggested above, if you're good at maths, taking Extension Maths is also an option you should consider.

talha_ahmed2004

HSC
I can choose extension 1 maths but currently, in my position, I don't think they will allow me to do extension 1 maths in my school because i am pretty sure they test if your able to do extension maths. And if Ad English and st English scale the same I am good with standard and I am pretty sure that I will manage to score under 90%but over 80%

talha_ahmed2004

HSC
Like really I am not sure I mean I will be frankly honest I am smart but I waste my potential because I have no motivation to study. And thanks for the ipt suggestion i am pretty sure i will change it.

HSC
N/A
Like really I am not sure I mean I will be frankly honest I am smart but I waste my potential because I have no motivation to study. And thanks for the ipt suggestion i am pretty sure i will change it.
No worries. Also looking at your previous replies, since you're saying your English is not very good, have you considered taking English EAL/D?

talha_ahmed2004

HSC
Naah not really i think i am comfortable in doing standard like right now currently I am getting in the 70s%. And with English tutoring next year i am sure i will be able to get 80+percent.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)