thoughts on purposefully failing a subject you can't drop but have a backup plan for? (1 Viewer)

HSC
rn im on 11 units and am about to be on 10 units (gonna drop an extension course) so it's not possible for me to drop bio. i'm doing really crap in bio now and i barely listen in class and i don't know a single thing about mod 5 idk i just dont have the motivation for it none of it is interesting so i've given up for it, but i did ipt in year 10 and got low band 6 (could've done better but it'll do as a backup for bio) and its not like it scales like dog poop so im thinking of just winging bio for the rest of the hsc year and counting on my ipt mark to replace it in my atar.

i checked on hscninja's atar calculator keeping my marks for everything else constant (idk if that's how it works but) and bio would only 100% count if i got band 6 which at this rate i'm pretty sure is impossible, so is just being a dropkick in bio a good idea or should i put a bit more effort in and see how it goes?

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Just drop it. Why would you continue doing the subject if you're not interested in doing the subject anyway? I wouldn't worry about scaling, since Biology and IPT scale very similarly.

HSC
reply to ^^^ about dropping
our school won't allow us to drop to 8 units no matter what, even the people who state ranked tried it but the deputy wouldn't let them :( so i dont rly have a choice but to keep it

idkkdi

HSC
rn im on 11 units and am about to be on 10 units (gonna drop an extension course) so it's not possible for me to drop bio. i'm doing really crap in bio now and i barely listen in class and i don't know a single thing about mod 5 idk i just dont have the motivation for it none of it is interesting so i've given up for it, but i did ipt in year 10 and got low band 6 (could've done better but it'll do as a backup for bio) and its not like it scales like dog poop so im thinking of just winging bio for the rest of the hsc year and counting on my ipt mark to replace it in my atar.

i checked on hscninja's atar calculator keeping my marks for everything else constant (idk if that's how it works but) and bio would only 100% count if i got band 6 which at this rate i'm pretty sure is impossible, so is just being a dropkick in bio a good idea or should i put a bit more effort in and see how it goes?
nothing in HS is that interesting. deal with it. what if mid way through throwing bio you decide that you want to throw another subject? Giving up is a domino effect.
Even worse, what if in the holidays you realise you like bio, and realise that you already threw your score too hard to catch up.

Kyufruit

HSC

Dude biology is the most interesting hsc subject I’ve taken

how do you find it boring dhbfifnf

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
reply to ^^^ about dropping
our school won't allow us to drop to 8 units no matter what, even the people who state ranked tried it but the deputy wouldn't let them :( so i dont rly have a choice but to keep it
You've already completed IPT so that's 2 units completed. While it doesn't make sense for your school to hold such a policy, at the end of the day you'll just have to suck it up and endure the subject for the rest of the term. Perhaps you might encounter something that is of interest to you, even if it's just the slightest. Hold onto that interest, and begin to question everything about it, "well if I just learnt about this, then why does this ... or how can this ... ". I personally find this an effective method in further developing my interest towards a particular topic.

Eagle Mum

HSC
N/A
Yeah that's true but certain schools can be really @n@l about their rank by wanting to maximise the number of band 6's the students get each year. (my top 20 selective school included lol). So they don't want a lot of high performing people dropping to 10 units because that would mean less possible band 6's for them.
Does it not defeat the purpose, though, if students then purposely fail, or score very low marks because they make little to no effort?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)