Thoughts on recruitment (1 Viewer)

turtleface

HSC
Generally, most people accept that high calibre people apply for IB depts more than for Big Four (with notable exceptions of course)

IB is difficult to get in, yet, it seems to be no cakewalk to get into Big Four either. Do people find that is the case? (I don't really know cause I sort of fell into a Big four firm through an unorthodox way.)

It really surprises me that some of my friends who are really good got rejected. From this, you'd assume that the people who do get into big 4 are like gods, but having worked there now, I notice some (ok, many) of the people who get in are really lost or have little work ethic or (in the case of vacationers) don't even want to do accounting for a career.

Is this something common to other states?

Last edited:

ricenoodles

HSC
I'm currently still going through graduate interviews and I honestly did not think the Big4 recruitment would be so competitive. Even the mid-tier firms put a lot of effort into selecting candidates. They really make the effort to find the most suited people by inviting a ridiculous amount of people and cutting down the numbers in chunks. I've been so surprised too that some of my friends got rejected (some didn't even make it past the application stage) but in the end it comes down to how well you sell yourself I guess.

KennyGAB

HSC
OK lets face it - dont beat around the bush:

The "Big Four" are for those who can't make it into an Investment Bank.

Work a couple years i.e. "do their time" in an accounting firm and then hope they can get into Investment Banking that way.

Plain and simple.

turtleface

HSC
maybe many are, but there are also people like me who generally like auditing and don't wish to damage my health crunching numbers and fiddling with spreadsheets 100 hours a week for some extra money that I won't have time to use.

I've never considered working as an Ibanker, its Accounting all the way for me

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
IB is where a lot of the money is, but some people are just more suited to audit.

I don't get why everyone compares Big4 to IB... they are such different jobs. Working in Big4 just gives you something nice to put on your CV.

But back on topic though, I think, regardless of industry, a lot of the jobs will have recruitment processes which don't just let any Joe Bloggs walk in off the street and get the job. Whilst it's good for you to be able to sell yourself and get employed, it's also recruitment's job to weed through the applicants and find the best person to fit in with the company/firm's culture. I'm pretty sure a lot of the applicants are great fits for what the job actually requires, but then it comes down to the nitty gritty personality traits which differentiate someone who's more suited to MB over say KPMG.

volition

arr.
HSC
personality matters? for accountants?

lol just kiddin, i'm lookin to get into Big 4 too

turtleface

HSC
volition said:
personality matters? for accountants?

lol just kiddin, i'm lookin to get into Big 4 too
Yeah its a shame though cause for some reason they seem to prefer more personable people over more competent(/ppl with better marks or demonstrated interest in accounting) people. I think they usually leave though cause whilst all the junior staff are all casual and sociable, the senior staff are serious and stuff. is seriousness correlated with competence and skill? maybe. i think so

Last edited:

roadcone

HSC
at the end of the day they choose people to fit in with the culture of the firm. there is no point having a really competent person who is too serious for the people they will be working with, as it will negate any benefit they bring.

firms look for the ability for you to fit in with the people you may be working with, because at the end of the day a better social fit will yield better results for them.

some people may think this is wrong, but in my opinion it works much better. there is nothing worse than working with someone who is on a totally different wavelength to yourself

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I agree with roadcone. It's fitting in with the culture of the firm which counts. So what if you are the top dog at doing mathematics in your head or you have some other skill which is highly valued- if you are an asshole to work with and piss everyone off around you by just being there; what good are you when it comes to working in teams? And you mustn't forget that in Big4, a lot of the job also involves interfacing with clients so communication ability as well as one's own ability to build rapport with a variety of people is important.

turtleface

HSC
seremify007 said:
I agree with roadcone. It's fitting in with the culture of the firm which counts. So what if you are the top dog at doing mathematics in your head or you have some other skill which is highly valued- if you are an asshole to work with and piss everyone off around you by just being there; what good are you when it comes to working in teams? And you mustn't forget that in Big4, a lot of the job also involves interfacing with clients so communication ability as well as one's own ability to build rapport with a variety of people is important.
Culture is overrated. We're all humans. Have you seen some of the Big 4 recruitment brochures? All of them spew out the same crap: "Our culture is very friendly, openminded, innovative, cliche, cliche, cliche"

Working in teams is also overrated. At my time there, everyone did their own thing. the only times people talked was: "have you got a red pen" or "have you finished the filing? do you want the kid to do it?"

And for Auditing, interfacing with clients is a bit overrated too. The big 4 is pretty much an oligopoly. If you piss off the client, what are they gonna do? Unless theres a clear breach by the auditor, or some form of incompetence, the company will be accused of a cover up if they fire their auditor. People will assume the auditor was fired cause they questioned the client's practices.

[edit]
Even so, its a valid point that they may not want geeks who can't communicate effectively, but my real gripe is that some of my friends who have killer marks get rejected for interviews by big 4 but are accepted for interviews by ibanks. What a joke! it just shows that the big 4 have some weird fear of competent people, like anyone who gets high marks is automatically a candidate for the serious, not very talkative outcast.

Last edited:

centrum

HSC
N/A
i think turtleface speaks some sense. people who have worked in the big4 have told me that they have the mentality that good marks and personality are mutually exclusive. shame really.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
Culture is overrated. We're all humans. Have you seen some of the Big 4 recruitment brochures? All of them spew out the same crap: "Our culture is very friendly, openminded, innovative, cliche, cliche, cliche"
That's the stuff which they publicize, but there are also things which I don't think you've considered in terms of culture. For example, KPMG is supposedly famous for it's more extroverted, image-consciencous, loud and sporty people. Ernst and Young (I believe) is a more charity-focussed (based on seeing my friends who got in- had done a lot of charity work) and self-initiative firm where they seem to employ the kind of people who are really warm and friendly who are able to do things independently and on their own as well as in a team (based on what I've seen with my friends who were offered positions there). It's not just the culture of the work environment, but the people who are accepted there tend to fit specific moulds.

turtleface said:
Working in teams is also overrated. At my time there, everyone did their own thing. the only times people talked was: "have you got a red pen" or "have you finished the filing? do you want the kid to do it?"
When you go out on audit jobs, you have to work in a team. If you can't handle that, or being delegated work, or later on- how to delegate work, then maybe you are more suited to smaller audit jobs where you are the only one doing the auditing- ie. a smaller firm.

turtleface said:
And for Auditing, interfacing with clients is a bit overrated too. The big 4 is pretty much an oligopoly. If you piss off the client, what are they gonna do? Unless theres a clear breach by the auditor, or some form of incompetence, the company will be accused of a cover up if they fire their auditor. People will assume the auditor was fired cause they questioned the client's practices.
It's not just the firm we're talking about being replaced- You do know that clients can request other people to come next time round- or even to replace the individual people from the audit team on the spot right? When they're paying thousands of dollars per hour for an audit team, they do have some bargaining power over who they get now, and who they book in the years to come. My point in short is, that it's in the individual's interests as well as the firm, to do a good job.

May I ask if you've worked in Big4?

I personally haven't started yet but I've done my research- and my sister works in Big4.

turtleface said:
[edit]
Even so, its a valid point that they may not want geeks who can't communicate effectively, but my real gripe is that some of my friends who have killer marks get rejected for interviews by big 4 but are accepted for interviews by ibanks. What a joke! it just shows that the big 4 have some weird fear of competent people, like anyone who gets high marks is automatically a candidate for the serious, not very talkative outcast.
I can see what you're saying- but I know plenty of very academic people who made it in, and plenty who didn't. I think there's much more to it than just academics; after all, accounting isn't really that intellectually-intensive provided you get decent marks in uni and are likely to be able to complete the CA program (despite the high failure rate).

On a side note, my sister had a UAI of 99.8 and was accepted into Big4. By my definition those are 'killer marks' (and she maintained HDs for nearly her entire uni degree- IIRC, twice she didn't get an HD; one cred and one D).

And yes as you can probably tell from my post I may be slightly biased in favour of Big4, but I think there's a lot more to it than meets the eye.

ricenoodles

HSC
Wow a consistent HD average..that's incredible. Which Big4 firm does your sister work in?

Having gone through some interviews for grad positions these past few weeks, it's pretty evident that the Big4 firms weigh personality and rapport building quite highly. I know people who have Pass averages who managed to get interviews so it's not just all about marks.

turtleface

HSC
seremify007 said:
When you go out on audit jobs, you have to work in a team. If you can't handle that, or being delegated work, or later on- how to delegate work, then maybe you are more suited to smaller audit jobs where you are the only one doing the auditing- ie. a smaller firm.
Heres the thing. They exaggerate the importance of teamwork, especially for audit field work. When you audit a client, you split up into groups for different subsidiaries. As a result, in the field, it will often be just you and 2 other people, at times only 2 of you. managers and partners only come to work with you during review and planning. It will pretty much be a Assistant Manager/Senior leading, and a second Junior Accountant. Often there will be a third person who is a grad or a vac or a cadet. As a result, teamwork opportunites is very limited. Its not like what we are led believe where you have 20 auditors working togethor. This only happens occasionally, like during meetings, audit planning and final, wrapping up stages.
There are even times where big 4 auditors go to clients alone, especially during preliminary audit testing stages.

May I ask if you've worked in Big4?
Yep, vacation work only so I don't know the full story, so everything I type is based on observation.

seremify007 said:
I can see what you're saying- but I know plenty of very academic people who made it in, and plenty who didn't. I think there's much more to it than just academics; after all, accounting isn't really that intellectually-intensive provided you get decent marks in uni and are likely to be able to complete the CA program (despite the high failure rate).
I averaged an 88 for all commerce subjects and got 95 for accounting (when I applied. my average fell heaps later lol). I made it in as a first year, but my friend who got average of 90 didn't get an interview as a second year. Admittedly his application was crap. I guess all that shows is they don't give a shit if you have good marks. To me that is unfair. Getting good marks shows a willingness to work. The big firms are screwing themselves if they don't let people like that in for the sake of more extroverted people. Additionally, as he wasn't even offered an interview, they had no idea what he was like as a person. Its just this stigma that is attached to high marks that exists in big firms that pisses me off. something that i dont think exists in investment banking.

Also i think difficulty of the CA program is a bit exaggerated. Pass rate is usually 75-80%. in the U.S., their CPA exams \have like a 35% pass rate.

seremify007 said:
On a side note, my sister had a UAI of 99.8 and was accepted into Big4. By my definition those are 'killer marks' (and she maintained HDs for nearly her entire uni degree- IIRC, twice she didn't get an HD; one cred and one D).
thats really good. you dont see many people like that going for big 4. its good to see that there are some top workers attracted to the accounting profession

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
turtleface said:
Heres the thing. They exaggerate the importance of teamwork, especially for audit field work. When you audit a client, you split up into groups for different subsidiaries. As a result, in the field, it will often be just you and 2 other people, at times only 2 of you. managers and partners only come to work with you during review and planning. It will pretty much be a Assistant Manager/Senior leading, and a second Junior Accountant. Often there will be a third person who is a grad or a vac or a cadet. As a result, teamwork opportunites is very limited. Its not like what we are led believe where you have 20 auditors working togethor. This only happens occasionally, like during meetings, audit planning and final, wrapping up stages.
There are even times where big 4 auditors go to clients alone, especially during preliminary audit testing stages.
I haven't personally worked but based on what I hear from my sister who in-charges audit jobs, she has 30+ people reporting directly to her. I'm under the impression that there must be quite a bit of team work/team chemistry to ensure the job goes smoothly.

turtleface said:
I averaged an 88 for all commerce subjects and got 95 for accounting (when I applied. my average fell heaps later lol). I made it in as a first year, but my friend who got average of 90 didn't get an interview as a second year. Admittedly his application was crap. I guess all that shows is they don't give a shit if you have good marks. To me that is unfair. Getting good marks shows a willingness to work. The big firms are screwing themselves if they don't let people like that in for the sake of more extroverted people. Additionally, as he wasn't even offered an interview, they had no idea what he was like as a person. Its just this stigma that is attached to high marks that exists in big firms that pisses me off. something that i dont think exists in investment banking.
Did you consider other factors such as extra curricular which show you have a life outside of studying, did you have different work experience, did you guys learn useful skills outside of uni which could be applied, how is your communication ability (written), etc...? There's a lot more to it than academics- Heck, I only got 97 for my UAI.

turtleface said:
Also i think difficulty of the CA program is a bit exaggerated. Pass rate is usually 75-80%. in the U.S., their CPA exams \have like a 35% pass rate.
I heard that 33% of people fail. Sigh my sister passed with Merit (i think that's what they called it) and never failed a module ><... why oh why did I choose to compete with her.

turtleface said:
thats really good. you dont see many people like that going for big 4. its good to see that there are some top workers attracted to the accounting profession
From what I've heard and seen, she really enjoys the firm, the people she works with, and the opportunities to travel. Sure the pay isn't as high as what she could probably command in other industries or even in another company, but she's doing something which is at the work level which she enjoys and still manages to maintain her little active social life and go travelling overseas once or twice a month on weekends.

NB. She lives in London at the moment.

Minai

Alumni
HSC
Uni Grad
KennyGAB said:
OK lets face it - dont beat around the bush:

Work a couple years i.e. "do their time" in an accounting firm and then hope they can get into Investment Banking that way.

Plain and simple.
That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard!

I chose audit as a career cause I'm genuinely interested. I have no desire to do investment banking, heck I don't even really know what investment banking is really.

Remember that Big4 and IB's aren't the only two things that commerce graduates strive for in a career.

Comments on the marks v personality issue: From what I gathered in my interviews, and team activities, is that they look for people who can communicate in a group quickly and effectively - ie solve problems and give clear ideas. It's one thing to be really smart academically, but its another to convey your ideas, give critisism etc effectively in team situations. Of course as a grad/vaccy, you dont' have that much responsibility, but I guess Big4's think longer term

jase_

Moderator Jase
HSC
I agree with what Minai has said above. Also, as a vaccy in a Big4 firm, I thought I had quite a bit of responsiblity actually, because I was doing real work which clients were paying for and in some case, most of the output was stuff that I had done and I would be liable for, so I thought that was both scary and exciting I guess.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
jasee said:
I agree with what Minai has said above. Also, as a vaccy in a Big4 firm, I thought I had quite a bit of responsiblity actually, because I was doing real work which clients were paying for and in some case, most of the output was stuff that I had done and I would be liable for, so I thought that was both scary and exciting I guess.
That is one of the things I asked a grad at an information evening. :D

He said that your senior will sign off at the end. Also, they have an exclusion clause exempting you (as a junior) from any liability, and I think the company from some liability.

edit: jasee, you are a class of '01...old fellow. ;)

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
*also agrees with Minai*

Some people actually pick audit, and I think it's stupid to always compare IB and Big4- they are two different things.

I wonder what KennyGAB does for work... since he slogs Big4s :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)