thoughts on repeating year 12??/know of anyone with a positive experience? (1 Viewer)

quickoats

HSC
If you still plan to sit the HSC 2020, I would recommend giving it the absolute best shot you can get. If you're expecting 60s, with a little bit of dedication (rather than giving up and going into a bad headspace), you could definitely surpass your expectations and land in at least the 70s. This should be enough to get you an offer into a Bachelor of Science somewhere, and you might even get a surprise offer from USyd depending on how lenient they are and bonus points and all that :)

twelfth_holmes

HSC
hey!! thanks for all the awesome support and replies and received. to give an update the meeting wasn't a disaster but it didn't go well either. I came out with as many questions as I went in with, and I think I may need to keep searching for assurance somehow, but I don't want to give up because I honestly feel like this is the best thing for me.

I wanted to ask you guys who know someone who has done this, or maybe you might know anyway. Can the school actually stop you from studying year 12 again, or tell you that you have to find other pathways instead?? I ask this because even though I know it is actually physically possible to do so (as you guys have told me), he seemed kinda more open to me finding pathways and I get that but I genuinely don't know how to explain that I feel like this is the best option for me. I am also known to be a good student so they expect me to get high and of course, at this point why would I suddenly get a low atar??? but I know for sure it will be because I am unable to study at the moment.

He did also tell me that I could withdraw from the remaining exams this term and continue with year 12. With that there are complications, I can't say completely but you can probably infer them from the fact that I turn 18 on the 11/11, literally the last day of exams so I would require parental permission...
I feel really good about this option though and I'm willing to try to consider finding a way around the above complication and withdrawing, but first I wanted to ask these follow-up questions. I also need to find out if the timetable will clash (this is based on chance)
Thanks for your support again. Some places I've gone to try to ask about this haven't been so helpful but you guys are super reassuring and actually give me practical advice/info.

(edit) also forgot to mention, at the meeting they did tell me because of covid this year universities will be more lenient and even if I get an atar in the 60s, usyd might offer the course I want which is 80s. Even though they are desperate for students and have lost millions, I hate to say that I doubt this. I also did e12 aswell, and even if I get in (I won't because I don't have any extracurricular activities haha and my answer were kinda sketchy) the atar would only be reduced to 75. At this point I am not even capable of that. But do you think universities will be ~that ~ lenient?? I guess maybe 5 or 6 points but 20 is a big drop, even if they are desperate. Because of the uncertainty I find it hard to count on that...

Last edited:

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
hey!! thanks for all the awesome support and replies and received. to give an update the meeting wasn't a disaster but it didn't go well either. I came out with as many questions as I went in with, and I think I may need to keep searching for assurance somehow, but I don't want to give up because I honestly feel like this is the best thing for me.

I wanted to ask you guys who know someone who has done this, or maybe you might know anyway. Can the school actually stop you from studying year 12 again, or tell you that you have to find other pathways instead?? I ask this because even though I know it is actually physically possible to do so (as you guys have told me), he seemed kinda more open to me finding pathways and I get that but I genuinely don't know how to explain that I feel like this is the best option for me. I am also known to be a good student so they expect me to get high and of course, at this point why would I suddenly get a low atar??? but I know for sure it will be because I am unable to study at the moment.

He did also tell me that I could withdraw from the remaining exams this term and continue with year 12. With that there are complications, I can't say completely but you can probably infer them from the fact that I turn 18 on the 11/11, literally the last day of exams so I would require parental permission...
I feel really good about this option though and I'm willing to try to consider finding a way around the above complication and withdrawing, but first I wanted to ask these follow-up questions. I also need to find out if the timetable will clash (this is based on chance)
Thanks for your support again. Some places I've gone to try to ask about this haven't been so helpful but you guys are super reassuring and actually give me practical advice/info.

(edit) also forgot to mention, at the meeting they did tell me because of covid this year universities will be more lenient and even if I get an atar in the 60s, usyd might offer the course I want which is 80s. Even though they are desperate for students and have lost millions, I hate to say that I doubt this. I also did e12 aswell, and even if I get in (I won't because I don't have any extracurricular activities haha and my answer were kinda sketchy) the atar would only be reduced to 75. At this point I am not even capable of that. But do you think universities will be ~that ~ lenient?? I guess maybe 5 or 6 points but 20 is a big drop, even if they are desperate. Because of the uncertainty I find it hard to count on that...
I strongly encourage you to do the exams still. As said above you don't know if you maybe could outperform what you think you will do. It is also very good experience and will for sure help you when you repeat if you have that experience

twelfth_holmes

HSC
I strongly encourage you to do the exams still. As said above you don't know if you maybe could outperform what you think you will do. It is also very good experience and will for sure having this experience help you when you repeat
thanks for the reply! that's very true but my main motivation here would be to ensure that I repeat year 12, as if I came back next year I'm sure they would tell me to find pathways. and I did get an offer into western so that would be against me, they would just tell me to go and transfer and I know I'm probably being ridiculous but I don't like the idea of that. I will take everything into account before I make any decisions tho.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
thanks for the reply! that's very true but my main motivation here would be to ensure that I repeat year 12, as if I came back next year I'm sure they would tell me to find pathways. and I did get an offer into western so that would be against me, they would just tell me to go and transfer and I know I'm probably being ridiculous but I don't like the idea of that. I will take everything into account before I make any decisions tho.
Tbh I don't think it's right for your school to do something like that it's kind of limiting the potential options you could have. I guess if that's your only choice then there's not much you can do. However, if it is possible to still do the exams I would do so

quickoats

HSC
What area in the Bachelor of Science are you looking at going into? It is a pretty generic degree offered at most, if not all universities. If your desired major is offered at a different university, it would probably be best for to go straight into uni.

Last year I kept second guessing my degree but I ended up choosing to go to Macquarie. Although I was a bit sad that I didn’t go through with my “dream” at USyd (which I declined for certain reasons), I have been quite fulfilled with the education in receiving at MQ. There is nothing wrong with non Go8 universities so don’t be afraid of looking beyond USyd. Your education won’t be subpar, and if you do desire, you have the opportunity to transfer later. At the end of the day (more in the undergraduate year 1 sense where you’re just learning introductory stuff) the only difference between WSU and USyd is that USyd is built with a bunch of old bricks.

twelfth_holmes

HSC
What area in the Bachelor of Science are you looking at going into? It is a pretty generic degree offered at most, if not all universities. If your desired major is offered at a different university, it would probably be best for to go straight into uni.

Last year I kept second guessing my degree but I ended up choosing to go to Macquarie. Although I was a bit sad that I didn’t go through with my “dream” at USyd (which I declined for certain reasons), I have been quite fulfilled with the education in receiving at MQ. There is nothing wrong with non Go8 universities so don’t be afraid of looking beyond USyd. Your education won’t be subpar, and if you do desire, you have the opportunity to transfer later. At the end of the day (more in the undergraduate year 1 sense where you’re just learning introductory stuff) the only difference between WSU and USyd is that USyd is built with a bunch of old bricks.
that's really good perspective actually.

idkkdi

HSC

care to say what your dream degree was? dentistry?

that's really good perspective actually.
Just wondering what science major u are trying to go into.

twelfth_holmes

HSC

Just wondering what science major u are trying to go into.
under the Bachelor of Science I wanted to do major in physics and minor in celtic studies

quickoats

HSC
I was planning on doing BSc/MMathSc but then second guessed myself about actually bothering to get a masters in maths etc + stigma about having a science degree + if I wanted to become a maths teacher I’d need an additional MTeach which would be excessive (and I would’ve been able to do BSc BEd straight out of HS in a shorter time period) (ended up enrolling and getting a USyd SID/email but withdrew)...

Actuarial felt more practical and I guess the scholarship from MQ tied up the deal. I did consider dentistry after the HSC but my family who are in the industry heavily advised against it. My mark/prereqs weren’t good enough anyway :)

quickoats

HSC
under the Bachelor of Science I wanted to do major in physics and minor in celtic studies
Maybe put a BSc + BA application towards mq? They don’t have Celtic studies but they do have a strong antiquity department if you’re into the western civilisation side of things.

idkkdi

HSC
I was planning on doing BSc/MMathSc but then second guessed myself about actually bothering to get a masters in maths etc + stigma about having a science degree (ended up enrolling and getting a USyd SID/email but withdrew)... actuarial felt more practical and I guess the scholarship from MQ tied up the deal. I did consider dentistry after the HSC but my family who are in the industry heavily advised against it. My mark/prereqs weren’t good enough anyway :)
stigma about having a science degree? does this exist? wdym

what's so bad about dentistry?

quickoats

HSC
stigma about having a science degree? does this exist? wdym

what's so bad about dentistry?
The “non accredited” sort of vibe about a science degree. Kinda like the Bachelor of Arts stigma but less intense. In hindsight, I shouldn’t have been worried but I’m content with my life at MQ now so no ragrets :’)

Dentistry is taxing on the body as you have to work bending over and using your fine hand motor skills. Also it’s kind of in oversupply since all the rural schools started (Charles Sturt, La Trobe, JCU etc) so it’s not the cash cow that it once was especially in the city. Top that off with it being in the private sector it’s increasingly corporatising so it’s not the greatest field to be going into, so props out to all these dental students, oral health therapists and dentists who take care of our teeth :))

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)