• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Thoughts on telecommunications engineering (1 Viewer)

screwuhsc

HSC
As said above title is it popular jobs out there? Would you recommend it

seventhroot

gg no re
HSC
IMO; I would recommend it because it is very interesting. I was considering it as one of my options because the communications industry is going to be booming over the next few years and decades

saif1788

HSC
I know people in the industry and they said they wouldn't recommend it as the market is very competitive and the pay rates aren't good.
I wouldn't recommend it. Plus so many people are going for it, which makes the future even more unpredictable.

anomalousdecay

Premium Member
HSC
Well I do Electrical, and I might actually end up doing Telecommunications for my electives.

Its actually a very broad field and you aren't restricted to just working on "NBN" or "Telstra". You have a lot more options with Telecommmunications than you think as Telecommunications can lead you to many related areas involved electronics, digital signal processing and even computing.

As for job prospects I'm not too sure, but I would say its very competitive to go for something involving NBN or Telstra. However, many companies involving electronics and digital signal processing can and most likely will employ you.

Also, do keep in mind that its quite a broad field so it can branch off into different areas of electrical engineering. It can also branch off into management of telecommunication systems which is even more diverse.

JamesGoh

HSC
I graduated with a degree in Telecommunications 7 years ago at UTS. I found the job market to be quite restricted and ended up changing altogether.

If your very passionate about Telecommunications Engineering, I'd strongly suggest that you get some experience behind you to back up your academic studies. One suggestion I would say is for you to get an Amateur Radio licence as this is quite a practical way of seeing the theory in action

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)