Thoughts on tutorials? (1 Viewer)

ShadowLighte

HSC
I haven't had any yet since I'm a first year and tutorials don't start until second week but they seem quite intimidating. I think lectures are great. Sit wherever, don't go at all, do whatever you want really and no one will really pay any attention to you so it's much less pressure.

From what I've gathered, tutorials are basically 15/20 students in a classroom setting discussing whatever the topic is. I've noticed that attendance and participation can make up 20/25% of your grade. Being the person who was the most quiet in the class/ grade and worked alone, I guess you can kinda see where I'm going. I don't like actively engaging in discussion or working in groups, I love doing my own work and listening to others discuss things. To be completely honest, I'm quite terrified actually. Should I be worried?

Tutorial experiences/ opinions on them?

MBMD

HSC
Depends entirely on what courses you're doing, some have participation marks but I've never seen them worth that much (wouldn't shock me if they were though). For some courses its just a time to do worksheets etc where you can get help from the tutor. For others they're actively teaching you content you learnt in the lectures. Sure some tutes might be based around discussion (an arts elective on 'European societies' I did last year was pretty much this, but by no means are they all like that.

What degree/courses are you doing?

Amundies

Commander-in-Chief
HSC
Uni Grad
Tbh tutorials are very similar to classes in high school. You're not expected to answer every question the tutor asks, but make sure you do contribute to discussions whenever you can, especially if the tutor asks you specifically about your thoughts on a certain topic.

D94

HSC
N/A
Try and meet as many new people as possible in lectures so that when tutorials begin, you will recognise at least 1 person. They might know someone else so then you will know 2 people. You will find it easier to engage because you won't have that sense of complete loneliness.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)