Thoughts (1 Viewer)

mreditor16

HSC
Actually I'll start off. This was an interesting part from the article:

Mr Cook said his organisation supplied trial exam papers to 52 per cent of schools doing the HSC, including a number of independent and public schools.

It was not uncommon for exam papers to have similar questions. "We would simply stress the integrity of both of the [exam] processes, which ensure that no student has an unfair advantage," Mr Cook said.

"Significant numbers of government schools use the Catholic trial paper because it is a good examination."
But a problem is that out of those schools that did buy the catholic paper that year, not many would actually use the paper for their own trials. A huge portion of them would actually give it to their students for revision purposes after trials or give it to later years as practice for trials.

For example, my school for years has been buying the independent, cssa and neap exams for maths (2U, 3U and 4U) and all the 3 big sciences, but still our school sets our own trial for all those subjects.

So for the OP to say, we supplied to 52% and then imply that they all used the exam in their trials is ridiculous.

hmmmm....

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
With these types of problems/issues, there should be and inquiry because its definitely not a coincidence its and inside job ffs.

HSC
I am more curious about this warehouse

The HSC paper was stored under lock and key in a warehouse from July.

Speed6

Retired '16
HSC
N/A
I am more curious about this warehouse

The HSC paper was stored under lock and key in a warehouse from July.
It was probably like your 'local storage facility' where you only get a key and padlock to secure the gate lol. Anyone can get bolt cutters and cut through.

HSC
Actually I'll start off. This was an interesting part from the article:

But a problem is that out of those schools that did buy the catholic paper that year, not many would actually use the paper for their own trials. A huge portion of them would actually give it to their students for revision purposes after trials or give it to later years as practice for trials.

For example, my school for years has been buying the independent, cssa and neap exams for maths (2U, 3U and 4U) and all the 3 big sciences, but still our school sets our own trial for all those subjects.

So for the OP to say, we supplied to 52% and then imply that they all used the exam in their trials is ridiculous.

hmmmm....
Bold Part - agree with you, however if you think about it, CSSA is renowned for having "hard" or "good" papers which causes students to want them badly. As a result, i believe that these papers were spread from student to student and could have potentially reached a large number of students being exposed to it.

Take this years 4u CSSA exam, I am pretty sure that 1000+ students have been exposed to it already, have seen it or completed the test.

emilios

HSC
To my knowledge, don't the CSSA papers attempt to predict the questions that may be asked in the case of the HSC? This can be done by examining which parts of the syllabus have not yet been test, and not examining elements that were in the directly preceding year's paper. I think it was a case of good guessing.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
To my knowledge, don't the CSSA papers attempt to predict the questions that may be asked in the case of the HSC? This can be done by examining which parts of the syllabus have not yet been test, and not examining elements that were in the directly preceding year's paper. I think it was a case of good guessing.
How often are they correct though?

HSC
There's a teacher at my school, who apparently has an 80% success rate in predicting the Chemistry papers.

mreditor16

HSC
must have connections with ppl making the paper
okay then, if that is so, why would they be stupid enough to put the same Qs in the CSSA paper? it just draws attention to them.

there's so many other ways that such inside information can be used to give an unfair advantage to students without being caught....

therefore, in my opinion, I see it as lucky coincidence.

HSC
okay then, if that is so, why would they be stupid enough to put the same Qs in the CSSA paper? it just draws attention to them.

there's so many other ways that such inside information can be used to give an unfair advantage to students without being caught....

therefore, in my opinion, I see it as lucky coincidence.
Yeah it is a lucky coincidence.

BLIT2014

The pessimistic optimist.
HSC
Uni Grad
It's happened with Geography CSSA before too apparently...

Teachers are constantly trying to guess whats in the HSC paper so someone is bound to guess very similar?

mreditor16

HSC
1) Most schools want their students to do well
2) Most students do well when they're prepared for the HSC
3) Most students are prepared for the HSC when they've done HSC style questions under exam conditions

Following this logic, there's no better way to prepare a student than to put in likely questions in their trials, for example say... last year in chemistry, 6 marks were devoted simply to esterification. This alone makes it unlikely that more than 3-4 marks (MAX) would be allocated to it in this year's HSC. Correspondingly, teachers at my school did not bother focusing on this significantly nor did they make it a significant mark allocation in our trials.

Experienced teachers can probably predict whats coming in our exams. We probably can too, if we compared every aspect of the syllabus to papers for the last 20 years (but the time it'll take to do that will probably be better spent studying the full syllabus haha). Catholic schools are reknowned for setting good papers, and the teachers predicted well what could appear in this year's HSC.

Another thing is that its much more likely for an ancient history exam to be similar to the HSC exam than say a science e.g. chemistry or biology, simply because as a history the syllabus has fewer 'dotpoints' and more depth is required per dot point because a significant proportion of marks are 'essay-style' (as opposed to like science where there are only around 3 questions above 6 marks and everything else is short answer). A limited syllabus means that questions can generally encompass smaller areas-- the marks then are not so much for knowing the topic, but for knowing it well and in detail.

tl;dr (how did I just write all that) I think it was a coincidence + smart teachers
couldn't agree more. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)