Tim Riley Economics Textbook Preliminary (1 Viewer)

ohne

HSC
In my opinion Tim Dixon textbooks are the best, but you should try to use more than one textbook. Try using Dixon and Riley together and prehaps even a third such as Bulmer.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by *girl04*
ive now brought excel so now im working from rileys n excel irts sorta confusing though coz they define stuff differently i think im just stuffing myslef up
im normally "anti-excel" but i must admit that it saved my ass in the final prelim exams last yr cos i read through the whole thing and didnt even touch my other textbook (dixon) and managed 80% from bludging and doing NOTHING all yr...so yeah, excel is only good for desperate (and by this i mean REALLY DESPERATE!) cramming! but in the HSC u shouldnt be cramming like that anyway so thats y excel is pretty much useless...

yeah, they do set things out differently and makes it quite confusing so use them SEPERATELY instead of at the same time....like do notes from the main one and use excel to consolidate ur knowledge....

ameh

dirty trick
HSC
N/A
we're using tim dixon bcos my teacha is a syd boys fanatic...its a good book but the meanings r simplified...does anyone have bulmer??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
my teacher says bulmer is "terrible"...i have no idea...im just quoting her :p

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
currently i'm using dixon and riley but i would happily buy all the economics textbooks...
does anyone find economics boring? this might sound strange, but after a few weeks, it gets pretty interesting..i'm loving it at the moment...
i'll go to dymocks and look at the excel book, if it seems good, i'll buy it... :)

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Sarah168
im normally "anti-excel" but i must admit that it saved my ass in the final prelim exams last yr cos i read through the whole thing and didnt even touch my other textbook (dixon) and managed 80% from bludging and doing NOTHING all yr...so yeah, excel is only good for desperate (and by this i mean REALLY DESPERATE!) cramming! but in the HSC u shouldnt be cramming like that anyway so thats y excel is pretty much useless...

yeah, they do set things out differently and makes it quite confusing so use them SEPERATELY instead of at the same time....like do notes from the main one and use excel to consolidate ur knowledge....
normally i try and go for anything but excel ( in the way of study guides) but this year for year 11 ive gott the excel chem. and eco.

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by hyperbole
currently i'm using dixon and riley but i would happily buy all the economics textbooks...
does anyone find economics boring? this might sound strange, but after a few weeks, it gets pretty interesting..i'm loving it at the moment...
i'll go to dymocks and look at the excel book, if it seems good, i'll buy it... :)
hmmm to me ecos. is only fun when the teacher makes up cool games to play! and gives us chocolate and stufff. But i think its also coz i dont really have any "fun" subjects

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
eco is ok..but my class could be better (no such thing as intelligent discussions in my class)...:(

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
@sarah168.. you could always be the one to start the discussions..perhaps everyone in your class is too nervous and shy..

What is everyone up to in Economics?

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
lol our ecos class if funny, like someone will say chocolate and we will discuss chocolate for 5 mins then someone will say whateva and you get the point its really funny though

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by hyperbole
@sarah168.. you could always be the one to start the discussions..perhaps everyone in your class is too nervous and shy..

What is everyone up to in Economics?
AHAHAHAHAHA no such luck sadly...my class are a bunch of idiots who do literally nothing, think they're soo good cos they do eco and "its cool". ONE! they are not nervous (although if i havent written 2 words in my eco book all year, i would be!)
TWO! they are NOT shy! bloody morons, have to make so much noise and pointless hatter that it makes it impossible to even keep a coherant thought in your head let alone try to read and make notes.

i gave up on trying last yr and now im just concentrating on myself...i try not give a damn about how many discussions we could be having but arent cos the class are losers...im missing out on the more interactive and fun side of eco maybe...but i have to settle for just trying getting good marks now...

hyperbole

i LURRVE to exaggerate.
HSC
@sarah168..
LOL...at least you'll always be ranked first which can't be all that bad... why doesn't your teacher do anything about all the noise etc...or have they and given up?

Currently we are up to chapter 3..consumer and business

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
blagh. nobody has time to waste concentrting on losers like that. i for one am not gonna bother anymore...and yes, coming first all the time is an advantage. im in my hsc yr, we're up to economic issues

zergcave

HSC
i HIGHLY recommend the "leading edge" range written by tim dixion (legend). He writes his books in plain english, but not at the expense of quality.
also i recommend u use cambridge for ur maths.

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
zergcave said:
i HIGHLY recommend the "leading edge" range written by tim dixion (legend). He writes his books in plain english, but not at the expense of quality.
also i recommend u use cambridge for ur maths.
Yeah he writes in plain and verbose english you mean. But each to their own. Be wary of when he strays from the syllabus too much though.

s-m-arky

HSC
N/A
I have a fantastic economics teacher, and our whole class finds economics a breeze. We just go through the Leading Edge book, by Tim Dixon and John O'Mahony and highlight relevant bits + make little notes in the margins (because it is good, but not THAT good). It's great for the preliminary course.

In the HSC course the Tim Riley book is supposedly really good. Our teacher says he reckons it's the best one, and he photocopies pages from it for our class. A lot of people at our school buy it because it's really comprehensive and it gives you a broader understanding of economics at large, so even though parts of it aren't necessary - at least as far as covering syllabus points is concerned - it does help because you can learn more about economics as a whole from it. And that, in turn, helps you construct better answers.

I've talked to a lot of this year and last year's HSC economics students, and they said Tim Riley's book was really good, and the ones who hadn't bought it said they wished they had, or recommended it.

Of course, this is just at our school, and it may depend on your teachers what you find most useful. Besides which, those are the only textbooks I know of, so I can't speak for the others.

:jedi:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)