Time Management (1 Viewer)

oml

HSC
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering how everyone manages their time studying. I try study around 2 hours a day before exams and during exams around 4. I used to get majority A's and around 2 B's however, since picking up an accelerated subject I can't score as well as I did before. I'm not doing that good in my accelerated subject and getting mid to high band 5 level even though I'm putting so much effort. I'm asking this because my LAT, prelims and trials will be at the same time next yr and I don't know how I'll be able to manage my time & grades. I also really need to get majority A in prelims because it's not guaranteed I'll get into UNSW, and want to apply to Macquarie for back-up. Any tips from previous & current HSC students?

Rattlehead15

HSC
I used to get majority A's and around 2 B's however, since picking up an accelerated subject I can't score as well as I did before.
I'm not the best at organising my time so I'll let others answer but I just wanted to say not to let this part dishearten you. The jump in to HSC courses is quite large and everyone's performance does drop to some extent. I witnessed this at my school, most people in my cohort dropped from B's and A's to D's and C's. A B in a HSC course isn't a bad thing, hell, I came first in my cohort for physics and I got a B for it, nobody even got an A. So just focus on doing your best and the alignment will take care of the rest.

lolcti

HSC
N/A
I'm not the best at organising my time so I'll let others answer but I just wanted to say not to let this part dishearten you. The jump in to HSC courses is quite large and everyone's performance does drop to some extent. I witnessed this at my school, most people in my cohort dropped from B's and A's to D's and C's. A B in a HSC course isn't a bad thing, hell, I came first in my cohort for physics and I got a B for it, nobody even got an A. So just focus on doing your best and the alignment will take care of the rest.
YOU'RE JOKING RIGHT?? 😍😍 But you can't really compare science to humanities imo

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
I'm not a HSC student, however, I did take Accelerated Maths Adv and sat the HSC for it this year. Time management can vary greatly from person to person, especially since people have extra-curriculars, other commitments and whatnot.

For Year 11, I placed first in all my subjects scoring 90+ in all of them. I'm one of those students who avoid using "amount of time studying" as a measure, and instead use "quality of study." However, since time is what you're asking about, I'll answer in terms of that.

Bear in mind, I have no extra-curriculars and my whole focus is pretty much on study; I don't really have a social life / friends either, so that comes into play. I'd say I spend around 5 hours every day, minimum, studying. I try to avoid studying one subject for the whole 5 hours, but if I've got a flow going, I stick with it.

It can be disheartening to be achieving grades lower than an A, but take it from me and several others who would agree, you've got plenty of time to improve!

In terms of balancing an Accelerated subject with everything else, I personally dedicated a minimum of an hour per day to studying Maths, and made sure to touch on other subjects at least a few times per week. When it came to balancing my Preliminaries and Trials, Trials came first so I prioritised my Accelerated subject but made sure to revise my other subjects.

As most people say, work on your weaknesses, keep your strengths. If your teachers are helpful, work with them too! They're one of your biggest assets!

I really advise that you utilise your holidays and any spare time you have as well, it really takes a load off!

Not sure how much I answered your question, but hopefully my response was of some aid! Please feel free to ask any questions :D

moonsuyoung

eng hater 101
HSC
Hey everyone, I'm just wondering how everyone manages their time studying. I try study around 2 hours a day before exams and during exams around 4. I used to get majority A's and around 2 B's however, since picking up an accelerated subject I can't score as well as I did before. I'm not doing that good in my accelerated subject and getting mid to high band 5 level even though I'm putting so much effort. I'm asking this because my LAT, prelims and trials will be at the same time next yr and I don't know how I'll be able to manage my time & grades. I also really need to get majority A in prelims because it's not guaranteed I'll get into UNSW, and want to apply to Macquarie for back-up. Any tips from previous & current HSC students?
same, as I picked up my accel subject as well my grades started to drop :((((

but, try to make a planner asap and study ahead. Dedicate a few hours each week to that subject

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
thank you smmm, I really appreciate you helping 🙏 Around how long do you take breaks for btw and how don't you get bored of studying?
In that 5+ hour study period, I usually work for at least a full hour and my breaks are around 20-30 minutes long. Occasionally I’ll take 1 hour breaks if I’ve been working intensively. Remember that breaks are important, don’t think of them as a waste of time! But also don’t let them lead to minutes and/or hours of procrastination and unproductivity.

In terms of not getting bored of studying, there’s two main things for me. One is discipline and the other is romanticising studying. I don’t really believe in motivation, it doesn’t get you very far, so developing discipline is key. Romanticising studying is something I picked up a few months ago and it makes studying so much easier, this is the case for others I’ve spoken to as well. I’m happy to expand on how exactly I romanticise studying if you’re interested! (and how I developed discipline too). Always enjoy helping out!

snow726

HSC
I'm not a HSC student, however, I did take Accelerated Maths Adv and sat the HSC for it this year. Time management can vary greatly from person to person, especially since people have extra-curriculars, other commitments and whatnot.

For Year 11, I placed first in all my subjects scoring 90+ in all of them. I'm one of those students who avoid using "amount of time studying" as a measure, and instead use "quality of study." However, since time is what you're asking about, I'll answer in terms of that.

I'd say I spend around 5 hours every day, minimum, studying. I try to avoid studying one subject for the whole 5 hours, but if I've got a flow going, I stick with it.
hi, i find this very inspiring!!
if you don’t mind, could i ask you what study methods/techniques you use for your subjects such as flash cards/mind maps/other ways of active recall. this is because i currently mostly use flashcards but would like to experiment with other techniques! thank you in advance 😊

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
hi, i find this very inspiring!!
if you don’t mind, could i ask you what study methods/techniques you use for your subjects such as flash cards/mind maps/other ways of active recall. this is because i currently mostly use flashcards but would like to experiment with other techniques! thank you in advance 😊
Glad to know that my input is helping people out! 😀

I use flashcards, however, I don’t use them frequently, only once I’ve finished my notes on a topic and I follow that spaced repetition curve. By following that guideline, I’ve been able to retain information for extended periods of time, even when I don’t need that content anymore.

I occasionally do those blurting exercises, just to see where my knowledge gaps are so that I can spend time on filling them. They’re pretty helpful so consider doing those every now and then. I also answer questions that require me to recall and revise my notes, rather than just rewriting them; that way, I actually test whether I know the notes I've written or if I need to go back.

I'm fortunate enough to have a sister who's a sponge for knowledge, so I often practice the Feynman Technique on her as well.

I think the best practice you can ever get though is through applying yourself by completing questions and completing papers. I find that the more questions/papers you do, you expose yourself to a wider range of question types, you understand how to apply the knowledge you have in different situations and you discover your strengths and weaknesses. Make sure to practice each subject equally though!

It's good to get into the habit of making sure you know a topic completely before going on to the next one. Otherwise, it can create a domino effect where a lack of knowledge in the first topic leads to a lack of knowledge in the topics that then follow.

Not really a study technique or method, but it helps to see how topics in your subjects link together as well. I was quite pessimistic before and was constantly asking, “How is this even relevant to previous content we’ve learned?” When I changed that mindset, it became clear that everything is connected. When you see the links, it’s easier to draw on knowledge and apply yourself.

Going back to time management, it is important to note that for me, having a set schedule really didn’t work. I couldn’t deal with setting time on a certain day for a specific subject because my schedule was always changing and I’d always get different workloads from my subjects. Instead I just use the Eisenhower Matrix and from there, create a to-do list / priority list of what I need to get done. I found that by doing that- for some reason, maybe it’s a subconscious effect or something - I got things done more efficiently and effectively.

Please remember though, as much as it is said, it really is important to experiment with study techniques/methods early while you still have room to make those mistakes without stressing too much about it. Everyone learns differently!!

snow726

HSC
Glad to know that my input is helping people out! 😀

I use flashcards, however, I don’t use them frequently, only once I’ve finished my notes on a topic and I follow that spaced repetition curve. By following that guideline, I’ve been able to retain information for extended periods of time, even when I don’t need that content anymore.

I occasionally do those blurting exercises, just to see where my knowledge gaps are so that I can spend time on filling them. They’re pretty helpful so consider doing those every now and then. I also answer questions that require me to recall and revise my notes, rather than just rewriting them; that way, I actually test whether I know the notes I've written or if I need to go back.

I'm fortunate enough to have a sister who's a sponge for knowledge, so I often practice the Feynman Technique on her as well.

I think the best practice you can ever get though is through applying yourself by completing questions and completing papers. I find that the more questions/papers you do, you expose yourself to a wider range of question types, you understand how to apply the knowledge you have in different situations and you discover your strengths and weaknesses. Make sure to practice each subject equally though!

It's good to get into the habit of making sure you know a topic completely before going on to the next one. Otherwise, it can create a domino effect where a lack of knowledge in the first topic leads to a lack of knowledge in the topics that then follow.

Not really a study technique or method, but it helps to see how topics in your subjects link together as well. I was quite pessimistic before and was constantly asking, “How is this even relevant to previous content we’ve learned?” When I changed that mindset, it became clear that everything is connected. When you see the links, it’s easier to draw on knowledge and apply yourself.

Going back to time management, it is important to note that for me, having a set schedule really didn’t work. I couldn’t deal with setting time on a certain day for a specific subject because my schedule was always changing and I’d always get different workloads from my subjects. Instead I just use the Eisenhower Matrix and from there, create a to-do list / priority list of what I need to get done. I found that by doing that- for some reason, maybe it’s a subconscious effect or something - I got things done more efficiently and effectively.

Please remember though, as much as it is said, it really is important to experiment with study techniques/methods early while you still have room to make those mistakes without stressing too much about it. Everyone learns differently!!
thank you so much for this detailed explanation!! 😀
spaced repetition curve
i am wondering - would you track the number of days to have like set days where you revise the topic again? for example, like 10 days after learning the topic and then 30 days after. Or revisiting a topic w/o set days so when you feel like you may be forgetting some of it?

thanks again !

AsuTeksu

Rising Renewal
HSC
i am wondering - would you track the number of days to have like set days where you revise the topic again? for example, like 10 days after learning the topic and then 30 days after. Or revisiting a topic w/o set days so when you feel like you may be forgetting some of it?
I try to follow the usual forgetting curve: 1 day, 3 days, 1 week / 10 days, 1 month, 3 months, etc etc

Sometimes that doesn't work though, mainly because I don't have that amount of time or it conflicts with my schedule. As you mentioned, it may be ideal to revise topics when you feel like you're forgetting it. You can also aim to revise topics weekly after learning them for maybe around four weeks, then move it to monthly.

I heard some people use Quizlet, and as annoying as the notifications are, it really can help you stay on top of it. Or maybe just use an online calendar so there's flexibility in being able to move revision of topics around, as on a physical planner, you may have to do a lot of crossing out which can look unappealing.

snow726

HSC
I try to follow the usual forgetting curve: 1 day, 3 days, 1 week / 10 days, 1 month, 3 months, etc etc

Sometimes that doesn't work though, mainly because I don't have that amount of time or it conflicts with my schedule. As you mentioned, it may be ideal to revise topics when you feel like you're forgetting it. You can also aim to revise topics weekly after learning them for maybe around four weeks, then move it to monthly.

I heard some people use Quizlet, and as annoying as the notifications are, it really can help you stay on top of it. Or maybe just use an online calendar so there's flexibility in being able to move revision of topics around, as on a physical planner, you may have to do a lot of crossing out which can look unappealing.
thanks, i’ll keep this in mind! 😀

Life'sHard

HSC
Uni Grad
The jump in to HSC courses is quite large and everyone's performance does drop to some extent.
Cap. HSC courses are more or less the same as Prelim courses. It doesn't get exponentially harder. As long as you have a solid foundation and schedule in yr 11, yr 12 should feel the same.

Rattlehead15

HSC
Cap. HSC courses are more or less the same as Prelim courses. It doesn't get exponentially harder. As long as you have a solid foundation and schedule in yr 11, yr 12 should feel the same.
I meant HSC as in yr11 and 12, yr11 is prelim HSC.

carrotsss

HSC
yeah my results got better in y12 in every subject and I think the same happened for most people I know

esp for science imo it’s easier since y11 science is super compacted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)