tips and ways to study engineering? (1 Viewer)

MrDimple

HSC
anyone here doing engineering studies got any tips on how to study engineering ?

MrDimple

HSC
bump i really need effective ways on approaching engineering

shell.q

HSC
i dont have any sorry, but if there is i would love to know them, im stuggling studying for engineering. so much content and so hard for the content

MrDimple

HSC
yeah alot of content to cover wouldl ike some past experience people who achieved band 5-6 in this subject to come forth :(

iEdd

HSC
The syllabus is not clear cut. It's a very difficult subject in terms of knowing what to study. I've been learning how things work and building stuff since I was a kid. The weird thing is a lot of it is sort of general engineering knowledge which you don't seem to be explicitly taught. I ended up with 97 but I was surprised I didn't get thrown more obscure questions.

Just make sure you do every question in your main textbook, and a secondary one, like Excel. Do all the past papers (not that there's actually answers) and try to get past trial papers with solutions. Make sure you can name a bridge, a building and understand all the different materials, including stress/strain curves. Get truss analysis down pat and just try to get and retain as much engineering knowledge you can.

shell.q

HSC
The syllabus is not clear cut. It's a very difficult subject in terms of knowing what to study. I've been learning how things work and building stuff since I was a kid. The weird thing is a lot of it is sort of general engineering knowledge which you don't seem to be explicitly taught. I ended up with 97 but I was surprised I didn't get thrown more obscure questions.

Just make sure you do every question in your main textbook, and a secondary one, like Excel. Do all the past papers (not that there's actually answers) and try to get past trial papers with solutions. Make sure you can name a bridge, a building and understand all the different materials, including stress/strain curves. Get truss analysis down pat and just try to get and retain as much engineering knowledge you can.

WOAH!!!!!!! ok, now lets say hello to study and goodbye to the last bit of social life i did have....but its wat i want....a high mark
thnks dude helped alot, what was your main textbook?

iEdd

HSC
Main was Copeland. It is pretty brief though. Not nearly enough info.

MrDimple

HSC
ahh sweet any main textbooks i shud get like is there a dot point book for engi

randomnessss

HSC
Uni Grad
use copeland as a guide then do more research by yourself =)

Lamak

Ipc
HSC
Its been a few years since I did my HSC, however if you want good results the Idea is listen and participate in all class discussions an lessons, ask as many questions as possible and do as many examples as you can get your hands on. If your still struggling with your studies let me know I will happily dig out my old notes and see what I can do to help. I did ok in the HSC, and got early entry to uni, if you want to do engineering at uni next year, keep consistant marks. Dont have to be great, but good. and apply to all early entry programs. I was offered places to 3 uni's before I sat my HSC. so in the end I didnt study for my exams.

polso

HSC
As im only doing it now with you i cant really comment on its effectiveness but ill throw my method out there anyway.. i just get the syllabus and distinguish it by colour in word, then i dig out all my notes and gradually go through it summarising to the required information in a different colour under each section. Time consuming yes but it is leaving me with what i consider to be an encompassing summary which covers the relevant topics! and i hopefully wont miss anything

Gussy Booo

Mathematics <3
HSC
Heya! Well this is what I do.

I seperate my Engineering Study into three groups.

-Content
- Mechanics Content
-Mechanics

So content is your basic content. Just follow the syllabus and take down notes corresponding to the dot points.

Next is Mechanics Content. I treat this as learning the laws and formulas of mathematics. But in this case, Mechanics.

Simply right down a title such as -> - Mechanical Advantage- , then write WHY its used. Then write the forumla, and provide an example to make it clear.

Last is mechanics. I simply take down questions and do them.

Good Luck !

mahdi

HSC
I have finished copeland and recently got typical HSC questions by John Rochford. Copeland is decent but the section on telecomunications is pretty bad (not nearly enough info). Does anyone know any other engineering textbooks i can get? Im thinking about excel, anyone know if thats good?

pratick

HSC
I have finished copeland and recently got typical HSC questions by John Rochford. Copeland is decent but the section on telecomunications is pretty bad (not nearly enough info). Does anyone know any other engineering textbooks i can get? Im thinking about excel, anyone know if thats good?
Excel is good,
its just got waaaaay too much information, annoying because you have to synthesise everything..

The engineering Syllabus as someone said above isn't clear..

its too brief, thus the study load for this is too overwhelming.

Thanks to do the dude who mentioned breaking ur study down into 3 categories,

Content
Mechanical Content
and Mechanics.

I'm pretty sure this will help.

Good luck guys!

(any one got any more tips... this study is hard!!!!!!!!! )

theundefined

HSC
Our school got these Tafe, engineering books for each module, its so long, my pile is like 20 cm thick for just one subject. But its very in depth. I use the excel one aswel. Basically in terms of studying, i summarise all content, and flick between excel and my main to make sure bits arent missing, and using the appendices effectively, cus it defines things you dont get, and the john rochford books are the best to practice. I've used copeland, its good but too short and not enought detail

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)