Tips for converting memorised Mod C creative into discursive/persuasive? (1 Viewer)

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi all,

I have memorised a general story and reflection for Mod C (outlined below) but am not sure how to convert it into a discursive/creative if need be, for Trials. Does anyone have any tips?

General storyline is as follows:
  • (sometimes) extend stimulus as a memory/dream - not memorised but I have practiced writing this
  • Narrator wakes up, knocks over a mug of coffee on himself, reads the writing on the mug (usually where I integrate some of the stimulus into some cheesy tagline/motivation message), feels crappy because it's early etc etc (we know the feeling)
  • Narrator gets up to his desk, clears piles and piles of unfinished drafts/assignments, sits down to write
  • (story enters meta-narrative) Narrator writes about some fictional familial conflict that integrates the stimulus (e.g., at an ocean) / or writes a letter directed at family (I aim to integrate stimulus here anyways)
  • Narrator realises he is writing about himself and his situation, puts pen down, calls family (story ends)
The whole idea is that I can link this comfortably with Nam Le's "Love and Honour and ..." for the reflection.

Tldr: How would I transpose the above imaginative into a discursive/persuasive? I really don't have much practice with this - I don't even really know the key ideas of writing discursively/persuasively. How do I integrate the stimulus? My teacher suggested memorising an anecdote to refer to consistently through the essay if it is a discursive, but I have no clue what to do for persuasive...?

Please help?

Last edited:

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi all,

I have memorised a general story and reflection for Mod C (outlined below) but am not sure how to convert it into a discursive/creative if need be, for Trials. Does anyone have any tips?

• (sometimes) extend stimulus as a memory/dream - not memorised but I have practiced writing this
  • Narrator wakes up, knocks over a mug of coffee on himself, reads the writing on the mug (usually where I integrate some of the stimulus into some cheesy tagline/motivation message), feels crappy because it's early etc etc (we know the feeling)
  • Narrator gets up to his desk, clears piles and piles of unfinished drafts/assignments, sits down to write
  • (story enters meta-narrative) Narrator writes about some fictional familial conflict that integrates the stimulus (e.g., at an ocean) / or writes a letter directed at family (I aim to integrate stimulus here anyways)
  • Narrator realises he is writing about himself and his situation, puts pen down, calls family (story ends)
The whole idea is that I can link this comfortably with Nam Le's "Love and Honour and ..." for the reflection.

Tldr: How would I transpose the above imaginative into a discursive/persuasive? I really don't have much practice with this - I don't even really know the key ideas of writing discursively/persuasively. How do I integrate the stimulus? My teacher suggested memorising an anecdote to refer to consistently through the essay if it is a discursive, but I have no clue what to do for persuasive...?

Please help?
Apart from resources, does anyone have any quick writing tips for this?

Cliiton

HSC
Convert the imaginative to a discursive then memorize that. Cheers mate.

Forenza

HSC
Hi all,

Please help?

Hi! Hopefully, I can be of help for discursive!

- I think the anecdote to begin with, as to integrate the stimulus is smart. You want to kind of arrive to the same introduction for a discursive (so the purpose of your hook is consistent across all discursives) so you can change the hook but keep the intro. You don't have to refer to an anecdote consistently (could just be a one time hook) but defo take your teacher's advice if he/she marks you higher.

Just reading your creative, here are some ideas that could be used for a discursive.
(I would also base all discursive on anything to do with language, writing, reading, representation and Literature so no "fun"topics.

- If you know an author well enough, you can use it as an investigative study in how they reimagine their trauma/experiences in their own writing, like the narrator does. You want to be able to narrow your scope though - really about a transformative process

- The theme of memory can also be extended. Search up "On Memory and Literature" by The Millions. Its a long read but even a paragraph in, there are so many examples

-You can also do it on the validity of autobiographies. "Tell the truth but tell it slant"- Emily Dickinson. Why do humans feel the need to make up/cement our legacies and what's the real purpose of autobiographies, is it for a selfish, egotistic author or for the audience's motivation and inspiration? One of our exemplars was an autobiography review and it was pretty good. Find the New Yorker Article on the Ethics of Authorship

-You also talk about how writing is a process and craft here, seeing your narrator is an author/artist. I recommend Zadie Smith's prescribed text for more inspo. I've always thought about a discursive which takes one of the "bits" of advice as an intertextual framework.

Also for your reflection. I find it hard to match the structure and voice of a creative to my discursive so I would definitely use a discursive prescribed if you have any. Maybe start there.

Message me if you need anything, I quite like Mod C.

SadCeliac

done hsc yay
HSC
Hi! Hopefully, I can be of help for discursive!

- I think the anecdote to begin with, as to integrate the stimulus is smart. You want to kind of arrive to the same introduction for a discursive (so the purpose of your hook is consistent across all discursives) so you can change the hook but keep the intro. You don't have to refer to an anecdote consistently (could just be a one time hook) but defo take your teacher's advice if he/she marks you higher.

Just reading your creative, here are some ideas that could be used for a discursive.
(I would also base all discursive on anything to do with language, writing, reading, representation and Literature so no "fun"topics.

- If you know an author well enough, you can use it as an investigative study in how they reimagine their trauma/experiences in their own writing, like the narrator does. You want to be able to narrow your scope though - really about a transformative process

- The theme of memory can also be extended. Search up "On Memory and Literature" by The Millions. Its a long read but even a paragraph in, there are so many examples

-You can also do it on the validity of autobiographies. "Tell the truth but tell it slant"- Emily Dickinson. Why do humans feel the need to make up/cement our legacies and what's the real purpose of autobiographies, is it for a selfish, egotistic author or for the audience's motivation and inspiration? One of our exemplars was an autobiography review and it was pretty good. Find the New Yorker Article on the Ethics of Authorship

-You also talk about how writing is a process and craft here, seeing your narrator is an author/artist. I recommend Zadie Smith's prescribed text for more inspo. I've always thought about a discursive which takes one of the "bits" of advice as an intertextual framework.

Also for your reflection. I find it hard to match the structure and voice of a creative to my discursive so I would definitely use a discursive prescribed if you have any. Maybe start there.

Message me if you need anything, I quite like Mod C.
Thank you so much!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)