tips for ext 1 worlds of upheaval (1 Viewer)

ilovemangos

HSC
hi, does anyone have tips for doing well in the extension 1 english course. also are there metropolis/frankenstein notes/essays that anybody share? thank you!

MJRey

HSC
2 months late but here I am with some tips. I'm tired so I might add more tomorrow, but the main thing is to know your texts and their context/themes back to front and inside out. You should do this for Advanced as well, but particularly for EX1 it's so important because you'll be studying at least 3 WOU texts and talking about 2 plus a related text in 1 hour. For WOU specifically, you want to be across things like what upheaval really means, the kind of upheaval your text is trying to convey and the consequences/ramifications of upheaval. On BOS there are plenty of sample essays on Frankenstein, Metropolis and the like so feel free to check them out.

Hope that helps!

ilovemangos

HSC
hi! thank you very much for those tips, I've studied 2 of my WOU texts but i'm a bit fuzzy on the last one. it's probably important to know all 3 though right? also what do you think about the probability of nesa asking for 3 related texts?

also do you have any tips for literary worlds? i find it harder than WOU haha. There also doesn't seem to be too many papers on thsc nor acehsc to practice with unfortunately.

MJRey

HSC
That's all good! What's your 3rd text?

The probability of them asking for three prescribed texts has been debated for quite a while now. For several years it's been 2 prescribed texts and 1 related text, but this year could be the year it changes, so definitely have some stuff on your third text up your sleeve.

Literary worlds is harder than WOU, especially because it's so broad. It's essentially an umbrella term for all the other modules like WOU, Literary Homelands, Reimagined Worlds etc, but what it focuses on specifically is the way that writers create literary worlds and the reader's relationship with literature. Oftentimes, they'll ask for either a 25 mark critical, 25 mark creative/discursive OR a hybrid eg. 10 mark critical, 15 mark creative. The best way to prepare for literary worlds is to have a good understanding of how things like context, genre and language are amalgamated to create a convincing literary world (one that displays verisimilitude).

I have specific resources from when I did EX1 that I can put up on BOS but I'll need to find them first. For now, these might be of use (the ETA website also has some good stuff, my teacher used that site a lot):

ilovemangos

HSC
my third text is metropolis but i've already done frankenstein and buddha in the attic. i think later my school will do waiting for godot as well.

oh true i forgot about the hschub, thanks!

MJRey

HSC
my third text is metropolis but i've already done frankenstein and buddha in the attic. i think later my school will do waiting for godot as well.

oh true i forgot about the hschub, thanks!
Very nice, I did Frankenstein and Waiting for Godot, so if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)