Tips for interviews? (1 Viewer)

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
Any tips for people who have received offers for an interview? this is my first time

Last edited:

deswa

HSC
Wait sorry do you want tips on HOW to get an interview or what to do when you've gotten the interview?

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
when i've gotten one but tips on how to get one would also be nice because i may have got lucky :)

alphabetafeta96

I swear im not a cat lady
HSC
Uni Grad
My tips on an interview:
Ok so dont eat, use your mobile phone( keep it on silent), look down or fiddle. Keep eye contact( but don't stare) and when they ask you at the end if you have any questions always ask a question because it shows that your interested in the job. From experience don't over think it and answer honestly. Also if you have the job description when they ask you questions try to incorporate the key values/skills they are advertising for the person to have. If your nervous then type up some common questions and write down your answers and remember them( thats what i did and i felt less nervous) that way you have less chance of stumbling. Also another common question is asking about a situation when you have displayed something( leadership, initiative e.t.c) so have some answers ready for that. Remember the point of the interview is to ( as much as i hate to say it) show yourself off. But most of all remember that its only a job interview and try to make it as casual as possible and when your talking to the person to imagine they are a family member or friend.
Good Luck
Feel free to post any questions!

deswa

HSC
Protip: Robots don't hire people, people hire people. So it doesn't matter how good you are on paper, if you piss the interviewer off, or act like a douche you won't get the job. Be likeable etc..

nifkeh

HSC
if it's a group interview you have to engage in the group like you are a natural talker kind of person, so if you're sitting there too silent or talking too much and not letting others speak they probably aren't going to hire you. So be natural, just like a normal conversation and listen to others speak and you speak or make a new topic etc - don't be too fake because you are being watched and they'll probably know if you sound a bit fake. And of course when you speak try to not go too far off topic because then it shows you don't know how to interest and engage and listen to people.

if the dress code is 'smart casual' dress up a little bit to look kind of clean, presentable/neat/modest, e.g. a white shirt with a black skirt, or a smart looking casual ish dress with a cardigan. I don't think you should wear jeans to a smart casual thing, but black work pants with a white shirt is okay for smart casual. Idk what to wear if I was a guy, but I wouldn't really imagine wearing shorts maybe. And for shoes, no thongs, but I don't think you should be wearing really formal business attire shoes either to this interview as it is unnecessary

Don't go to the point that you have a full business suit on kind of thing lol because going all out when it's only smart casual or your typical retail job isn't going to say to the employers 'yes I'll employ you' - I think they kind of see it as a little vain, and it's not an advantage over someone who's wearing normal clothes or clothes that look like they went to the beach.

but as alphabetafeta96 said, show like you are interested in the job by asking questions and appear interested throughout the whole interview as well. Get some decent sleep the night before, don't appear tired in the interview (e.g. unhappy or :| face, droopy eyes, too pale, being really quiet, dozing off, looking down instead of at others, looking at the wall or ceiling or floor, or completely not paying attention lol) and set a good impression, be friendly and seem outgoing. Don't appear as if you're eager for the interview to end esp at the end by being suspiciously happy and suddenly more awake at certain parts. Be calm, happy, smile and be natural throughout. And prepare possible answers to questions beforehand too. And most importantly don't be late because nobody likes latecomers. Also learn about the company that's interviewing you and what products they sell and how you can help.

funstudy

HSC
Just be yourself and don't be nervous. Be polite, don't swear, dress business casual, smile a lot

Accuracy

HSC
N/A
what type of questions should i ask? i don't want to sound annoying either

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
what type of questions should i ask? i don't want to sound annoying either
If you don't want to be annoying, don't ask a question after every single question you have answered yourself. Its fine to ask a question or two in general though, just try not to seem repetitive in asking continuously.

alphabetafeta96

HSC
Uni Grad
a couple of good ones( if they haven't covered this)
1) what is the uniform code
2) what would you see to be some of the key challenges that might come up in this role in the first couple of weeks/months
3) What do you see as the main requirements for a person applying for this job( that way when they list it you can nod your head and at the end say that that's you)
4) If there is anywhere to store personal belongings
5) What is the protocol in terms of robbery/theft

oh and in for when to ask these questions-its at the end of the interview when the employer( always) says do you have any questions for me?

also at the end remember to thank them for their time and when you meet them give them a good handshake( and look them in the eye when doing this)

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
a couple of good ones( if they haven't covered this)
1) what is the uniform code
trivial and not really the time to ask this

3) What do you see as the main requirements for a person applying for this job( that way when they list it you can nod your head and at the end say that that's you)
"nodding your head and saying that's you" is incredibly stupid. You should already know what they're looking for. The point of behavioural questions is for you to demonstrate that you have the skills/qualities that they require. Merely saying that you are something is meaningless.

4) If there is anywhere to store personal belongings
5) What is the protocol in terms of robbery/theft
Not the time to be asking this stuff.

The point of questions is mainly to demonstrate that you really want the job and that you're capable of considering thinks thoughtfully.

Asking about dress code or storage of valuables does nothing to make you a more attractive candidate.

alphabetafeta96

HSC
Uni Grad
um okay then, if you dont like mine then what questions do you think would be better??

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)