Tips For Memorising For English Essay's (1 Viewer)

dalalxa

HSC
Any tips on how to memorise for english essays and how to continue to remember them when exams come up? I always seem to forget parts of the essay and stress/freak out.

astroman

HSC
rote the fk out of them through either:

re reading everyday
record and listen to them everyday

dalalxa

HSC
Thanks mate! But how do you continue to read them when you've got upcoming assignments& exams I feel I get carried away!

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
Pray to the gods and sell ur soul to satan.. guaranteed you would get 99.95

Flop21

HSC
I actually made a guide on how I memorise my essays. That's if I want to memorise something word for word.

http://community.boredofstudies.org/128/preliminary-hsc/321403/how-memorise-essay-guide.html

After you do what I say in that guide, you literally just read your essay over and over until you can just recite the essay in your head. Of course everyone's memories are different, but this is just what works for me.

Recall over a long period of time will make it go into your long-term memory.

You wanna do this a while before your exam, so you don't have to stand in a room for hours when you've got other tests/assignments to do.

Btw, playing back recordings of myself doesn't work for me.

Last edited:

InteGrand

HSC
N/A
Record yourself reading it, then play it to yourself in your earphones while sleeping. :p

iStudent

HSC
This was the most painful part of english. Literally - your head hurts a lot!
I memorised my essays by reading Sentence 1 aloud, reciting it without looking. Then reading the Sentence 2 aloud, recite that. Then reciting sentence 1+2. Then reading sentence 3, recite that. Then recite sentence 1+2+3 etc. If I failed reciting once, I start all over from step 1 until I can recite all sentences.
Also, I repeated this process for each paragraph and then did the same for the first sentence of each paragraph. Lastly, I recited the whole essay from start to bottom (again, starting from the start till I got it all!)
If you don't take breaks you can memorise a paragraph in less than half an hour and a whole essay in 3 hours! (I actually memorised a paragraph in just 5 minutes. Head hurts a LOT so I never did that again - took my time to do it as 1 paragraph/hr xD).

Alternatively, you can try typing it out again and again and again. Eventually you memorise it!

Maxwell

bow peasants
HSC
I did (for my creative - I wrote on the spot for everything else):

1) Detailed read x 3

2) Wrote introduction/scene with printed creative in front of me - only looking if I needed too

3) wrote introduction/scene without looking at printed creative - if i failed, i'd start again

4) repeated with other parts/scenes until i had the whole thing memorised

5) orally recited it 500000 times

6) typed it if i felt it necessary/i was unsure about my ability to regurgitate it

in this way you have visual/oral/muscle memory working for you. i seldom forgot anything. Only downside is that steps 2-4 take a little while (but are definitely worth it as at the end of the day you need to write it and you need to write it FAST without going "um, errrr..." - the writing it part helps eliminate this factor because the muscle memory seems to work when the actual memory doesn't [if that even makes sense, lol]).

Mikasa

HSC
Read it a few times then write out as much as you remember. Repeat until you know the entire essay off by heart.
By the time you finish writing/editing your essay, you should probably know it very well already. It took around 2 hours to memorise essays for me (if I had spent a lot of time refining/editing it beforehand)

dan964

what
HSC
Uni Grad
Any tips on how to memorise for english essays and how to continue to remember them when exams come up? I always seem to forget parts of the essay and stress/freak out.
YOU DON'T (Usually)

Teachers can sometimes tell and they Mark done regurgitated essays.
practice different topic sentences so that you will able to quickly think and develop an idea. That's why my English Mark improved from early year 12 to hsc. Be confident with using the language so practising writing sample even generic topic sentences.

What do you memorise?
quotes, techniques, elaboration (specific)
Have a range of examples from the text to cover you for the main themes and concerns, I.e. likely questions.
In AOS this is easiest to do, as the theme is prescribed.

About 1 hour before school I would walk around the perimeter of the school and say them out loud. Reading out loud or writing them again is the best way to memorise for most people. In the exam room, write down key examples or sentences. Do the section that you are least confident you've memorised (I.e. the one you crammed just before) while it is fresh - although if you can't do what you can.

Rhinoz8142

HSC
Uni Grad
no just no.
Smile brah, I am just joking

Well the only tip I can give you is that try to create a generic essay from now !!

and throughout the year fix it. Don't be afraid to give to it to the teacher for remarks and correction.

When looking at your essay numerous times, you would automatically get used to it. As soon as you know you memorised your essay

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

420YOLOSWAG

HSC
Don't.
Memorise the ideas of your essays, and the quotes you may need. Unless its an assessment where you are given the question ahead of the exam, its probably not the best idea to memorise an essay. Have a good understanding of your text and you should be able to answer any question they can give you, from that point all thats left is bringing in the quotes, which is the important thing to memorise.
So instead of memorising essays, write a variety of practice essays instead, and just try to remember the general gist of them. Then just memorise your quotes and you should be much more prepared for a blind questions. :) at least this is what me and most of top 10 in eng at my school did.

enigma_1

~~~~ Miss Cricket ~~~~
HSC
Just memorise all your essays and creatives and adapt them on the day depending on the question. It works!

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Like what other people have said, just memorize it. It took me at least 6 hours (with breaks) to memorize my English Essay. My essay was due on Monday, I memorized it the day before and I wrote every single word.

FlameLash

HSC
Memorising essays is good and all, but developing good exam technique to be able to adapt rote-learnt essays to the question when required is also fundamental.

esaitchkay

HSC
It's different for everyone, but this is what I did, and I came 18th internally at Baulko and got 93 english mark after getting rekt in previous years
> write essay and get it edited by teacher
>> go to library
>>> look at essay and write it on a note pad(do this 20 times; maybe twice a day in the 2 weeks beforehand and then full on at it the weekend before etc)
>>>> go to exam and rely on your brain to have memorised by itself

i'm so glad it's all over :')

Last edited:

duhdevitt

HSC
Don't.
Memorise the ideas of your essays, and the quotes you may need. Unless its an assessment where you are given the question ahead of the exam, its probably not the best idea to memorise an essay. Have a good understanding of your text and you should be able to answer any question they can give you, from that point all thats left is bringing in the quotes, which is the important thing to memorise.
So instead of memorising essays, write a variety of practice essays instead, and just try to remember the general gist of them. Then just memorise your quotes and you should be much more prepared for a blind questions. :) at least this is what me and most of top 10 in eng at my school did.
Hey im a 2015er, and I memorized my essay in my first assessment and did really shit. I'm going to do what you said for the half yearlies but I'm scared that when I write the essay, it won't be sophisticated and stuff

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)