• Congratulations to the Class of 2021 on your results!
    Let us know how you went here
    Got a question about your uni preferences? Ask us here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

tips for spending the summer holidays wisely? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Will definitely be relaxing/appreciating my last 'real' holidays as well as catching up on all the homework i have but are there any other tips you might be able to offer in regards to maybe studying ahead or reading prescribed texts early?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Try to finish maybe the next module in all your subjects before going back to school. It's achievable and will also mean you have time to relax and enjoy

nourished.

HSC
Will definitely be relaxing/appreciating my last 'real' holidays as well as catching up on all the homework i have but are there any other tips you might be able to offer in regards to maybe studying ahead or reading prescribed texts early?
Here's what you can do: look online for notes for your subjects. Skim through their topic 1 summary, then make notes on it. The key is not to know absolutely everything about the subject, but just enough to be able to explain the main stuff. From a psychology standpoint, the TLDR is that your brain is better able to reinforce, absorb and categorise new information with your already existing information.

I'd say go out to study with a small group of your mates regularly. That way, the studying gets done and you guys get to hang at the end of the study sessions. Use this month or so to practise good sleep hygiene too.

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
Here's what you can do: look online for notes for your subjects. Skim through their topic 1 summary, then make notes on it. The key is not to know absolutely everything about the subject, but just enough to be able to explain the main stuff. From a psychology standpoint, the TLDR is that your brain is better able to reinforce, absorb and categorise new information with your already existing information.

I'd say go out to study with a small group of your mates regularly. That way, the studying gets done and you guys get to hang at the end of the study sessions. Use this month or so to practise good sleep hygiene too.
They would have already done the topic 1 since the Year 12 starts in the Term 4. So they should go ahead and try do the next topic for a head start on other students

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
I didn't say this before but the amount of work in that summer holidays you do should be based on your goals. If you are aiming for a 99+ ATAR, then ideally you should do more than that the next topic. From personal experience working hard during that time (while still having some breaks to play games or watch videos) helped a lot. By the time I was back in school I was already finished most of the syllabus for subjects other than English and so I could focus my time during the school year to doing the assessments or studying for exams through past papers, instead of spending time on learning content.

nourished.

HSC
They would have already done the topic 1 since the Year 12 starts in the Term 4. So they should go ahead and try do the next topic for a head start on other students
Right, completely flew past my head.

Run hard@thehsc

HSC
I didn't say this before but the amount of work in that summer holidays you do should be based on your goals. If you are aiming for a 99+ ATAR, then ideally you should do more than that the next topic. From personal experience working hard during that time (while still having some breaks to play games or watch videos) helped a lot. By the time I was back in school I was already finished most of the syllabus for subjects other than English and so I could focus my time during the school year to doing the assessments or studying for exams through past papers, instead of spending time on learning content.
What would you recommend to be the best - getting a term ahead in content or select subjects during the summer holidays?

jazz519

HSC
Uni Grad
What would you recommend to be the best - getting a term ahead in content or select subjects during the summer holidays?
All subjects but some can benefit more from having extra time to understand and perfect concepts such as maths or the sciences where it is problem based

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)