tips on privately tutoring high school students in English (1 Viewer)

sweetalmond

HSC
N/A
I have been coaching two high school students in English at a coaching college one to one. One student is in year 8 so I usually photocopy chapters/ lessons from English workbooks/ textbooks like excel etc. and we do the lesson together whether its reading comprehension, text types and I help him through this. I also tutor a hsc student which is a lot more different.

At the moment, I am starting to expand out and considering to do my own private tutoring as it's better pay and I can do it at my convenience rather than the coaching college. I have a year 7 client who is possibly interested in the offer for private Englisg tutoring so I was wondering if anyone could give tips on tutoring a year 7?

Because English is not his best subject and he wants to really excel at it. (He also goes to selective school where there is probably a competitive environment)

For example, should I invest in some English workbooks/ textbooks to aid in my tutoring lessons?

What kinds of things are focus areas in year 7 english? For example is vocab building important or essay writing or writing different text types?

Should I help him with assignments/ projects etc.
Any tips for what year 7 students usually require in private tutoring, like should I focus on what he is doing in school specifically or also work on general English skills like writing, vocab, comprehension,exam technique. Because year 7 curriculum is not as rigid as the hsc where you need to write in a particular way, study certain texts religiously etc.

gizdonk2

HSC
I would explain to him that year 7 matters not for the year 7 assignments, but for the skills and abilities you pick up. It's really the best time to nail grammar and the most effective sentence composition so I would do that. I like the idea of a tutor being flexible as to what the student feels/wants to learn. I would personally hire some books from a library, photocopy and give them to him. Alternately, search the web for year 7 English "lesson plans". A lot of Uni students develop them for their practical assignments and the high marked ones are usually foolproof gold. Honestly, a lot of year 7 is primary school stuff recapped, so don't forget to look at some of the year 5/6 English books. If you know a teacher, ask for their resources haha.

Please don't significantly help with assignments as the material will differ to exam performance. I for one wrote some killer assignments in year 7 and they actually suspected I paid someone to do them (lol), so they looked at my books and exam and we're just like nah, his g.

Good luck on your educational endeavours. Also, try not to steal the college's clients haha, You will get sued.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)