tips on section 3 - paper 1? (1 Viewer)

crazy_viet

BoS Member
HSC
i notice not much for this section of the paper has been raised in the forums so...

i need help! i follow the same structure for this section, doesnt seem to get me very high marks [8-10/15]
how do you tackle this section and get good marks? please help! thanks!

Shell

Boo Hoo
HSC
ALWAYS ANSWER THE QUESTION!!!! and you must know how to write in almost all common text types, thats where i tend to lose marks. And have lots of quotes form your texts.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Hahahaha a mac. fieldian :p

There are a few things that contribute to a good essay, regardless for what purpose your writing it for.
+Take notice of your text-type: what features of atext make it that text type ie. feature article - heading, bi line etc.
+Pay attention to the target audience: you may be asked to write to a principal/fellow colleagues/general public and you need to adjust your language and jargon accordingly, but STILL maintaining a formal style
+As above, NO COLLOQUIALISM and NO FIRST PERSON
+Use "joining words" like: similarly, however, contrastingly, on the other hand etc. to link your paragraphs together so that they "flow"
+Spend equal amounts of time on each text ie. one paragraph on each
+Use a "thesis statement" (do a forum search for what these are) for the basis of your argument
+Dont be lazy and do a forum search for generic tips on how to write an essay

Kutay

University
HSC
Really Just make sure you answer the question... as if you remeber an essay.. and just reproduce it you can only really get around max 10 11 out of 15 what gets you the good marks is your ability to adress the question at stake... for example at the beginning of each paragraph just basically mimic the question in the topic sentence.

nwatts

HSC
You can get 15/15 without using a single quote. (I've done it, many times).

Specific detail is the key though. Make reference to specific events in each text you've studied, offer insight into what they say about the journey, relate the language techniques used in these sections to what's being said about the journey.

Always relate things back to the concept of the journey. Apart from that, read essay guides to help you.

edit: With regards to quotes, it's fine not to use them in the area of study essay, but DON'T YOU DARE leave them out in modules essays!

Last edited:
HSC
N/A
^ What he said.

If your essay is based too much on quotations, it's BORING to read. They want content - substance! Don't use a quote unless you need to, by the same token always pull an example (doesn't have to be a quote) as evidence.

HSC
I thought I had a decent S3 and I got 8/15, other things i didnt prepare for as much in detail i got like 12/15 (creative) and paper 2 i was getting 15-16 / 20 (section I/II)

so unfair

nwatts

HSC
Casmira said:
I thought I had a decent S3 and I got 8/15, other things i didnt prepare for as much in detail i got like 12/15 (creative) and paper 2 i was getting 15-16 / 20 (section I/II)

so unfair
How is that unfair?

Paper 1 covers all english students, so naturally you'll get a lower mark, considering you're a standard student.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)