Tips on starting Yr 11 (1 Viewer)

Prelimer18

HSC
Hey y'all!

I start Year 11 this year, next week to be precise! Yikes.... kinda scary...?

To get to the point, I'm looking at some tips for starting Year 11. What do you guys think I should do to prep for Year 11 and what tips can you give me whilst being in Year 11 in terms of motivation, studying and more?

For some information; I will be studying:

- Studies of Religion (2 Unit)
- Advanced English
- General Mathematics
- Industrial Technology: Multimedia
- Business Studies
- Business Services (VET)

My goal is to leave school and go to university and either go into the field of teaching (secondary) or business management - however, am more inclined to go towards the teaching pathway.

phat_tar

HSC
Uni Grad
For Business Studies get a binder with loose leaf paper and make acronyms for literally everything and write them on the relevant page of notes your writing out, e.g. if you're writing external influences notes have the acronym for it on the page, it will do amazing things for your memory. In general, if you don't feel your essay skills are up to scratch, do some practise, send your teachers lots of drafts, because this is something that is critical to do in Year 11, then it will come naturally in Year 12 and make your life much easier. Find out which method of studying and note taking works best for you, for myself I found hand written was the most effective for me, though most people in my year used computers for virtually everything except for maths. Moreover, don't be afraid to try new strategies/techniques, because this is your last chance before it counts. At the end of the day working hard and effectively will get you the marks, but make sure you do it at your own pace and don't get burned out. Good luck.

Papercutter

HSC
Pretty much everything the guy above me has said. I also handwrote my notes for everything except English. Dont stress out too much, especially if you feel like you are struggling at the beginning - Year 11 can definitely feel like a big leap from junior school (though that obv varies on the student and school).

Reinforce good study habits and also establish a regular home routine (I would recommend making a timetable for home). Try to maintain your hobbies/extracurricular involvement as those can also help as breaks from constant revision.

Senior school isnt easy, but you will survive it if you remember to persist and keep on going. Reach out to your friends,peers and teachers for support if you need it. Good luck.

Papercutter

HSC
For Business Studies get a binder with loose leaf paper and make acronyms for literally everything and write them on the relevant page of notes
I remember looking at my friends' notes for business studies and the pages were always filled with acronyms.

captainhelium

water enthusiast
HSC
Year 11 for me was more like a 'practice-run' for Year 12 haha. I was basically experimenting with different study methods whilst also trying to get into the habit of having a well-rounded schedule (e.g. doing sports and other stuff). Unfortunately, the only subject that I did in common with you was English so I'm not sure if I can be much help but this what I would recommend to prep for Year 11:

- Try to get into a good study habit and find a style that suits you personally. It's fine to experiment around in Year 11 since your HSC marks aren't going to be influence by your Preliminary grades. For example, in the beginning of Year 11, I started with a binder and loose leaf paper and I took notes quite often both on paper and computer - however, I really didn't like it haha and I just stuck with my traditional exercise books, reading textbooks, and doing practice questions. Just remember that every one has their own unique study methods so maybe use Year 11 to find one that suits you best!

- This next point is kinda related to the one before but basically try to form a nice schedule that you're comfortable with and willing to continue into Year 12. Like for example in Year 11 I once did basketball reps on Saturday which took almost half the day and then on Sunday I had 5 hours of classes straight which was horrendously tiring. I knew I had to change this before Year 12 started otherwise I'll be completely drained. So what I would recommend is trying to find a nice and appropriate schedule that'll keep you fresh, motivated and alert during Year 12.

Also, make sure you keep yourself motivated! Maybe try to put up your goals (e.g. ATAR goal or career goal) and stick it around your room which will motivate and maybe push you to work that extra bit harder whenever you see it. Also, make sure you keep yourself balanced and well rounded as this can be fundamental in keeping you motivated since studying all the time may be draining mentally and physically.

Best of luck for Year 11 and Year 12!

Last edited:

fluffchuck

HSC
Like captainhelium said, year 11 is a 'practice-run' for the HSC. You must find the most efficient method of studying. This does not necessarily mean increase the quantity of study.

This is how I studied throughout my HSC (during year 11, I found that these methods of study were the best methods). I practised on a few past paper questions for Chemistry & Physics every week (maybe like 30 marks worth per subject). I practised writing essays for English once every 2 or so weeks (I knew that if I spent too much time on English, I would burn out, meaning that I would be too lazy to focus in class/do homework). I studied for maths by doing a past paper every 2-3 days, whilst also tutoring others in my grade. Note that here, the quantity of study is actually not that much! Remember, that they key to find an efficient and effective method of study. Please do not study 10 hours a day and hope that you will excel, because in most cases, you won't.

Good luck!

supR

Trials are the best
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey man, year 11 is exciting so get pumped :guitar:

Studies of Religion (2 Unit) | Industrial Technology: Multimedia | Business Studies | Business Services (VET)
For these subjects, I would recommend making a document (or paper copy) of notes that you edit either once a week (on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday) or after every lesson.
Additionally, it would be beneficial to complete all homework questions, as well as extending yourself and practising HSC and Trial questions on content you are covering in class.
During holidays, it can be extremely useful to read ahead in the content you will be learning in the succeeding term in order to gain a basic and preconceived understanding of the content.

- Advanced English
Read the texts.
Listen in class.
Practice essays and get them marked from your teacher.
- These three factors will require more or less personal effort depending on how proactive your teacher is.

- General Mathematics
Practice questions are essential, but more essential is understanding the concepts so you can apply your knowledge to ANY question, not just memorising the steps for the questions you have done.

Motivation
Develop a goal, and understand what motivates you. Maybe an ATAR goal? University stream? Career? Relationships, friendships etc?

Best of luck - As long as you work hard, you will do your best

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)