Tired advanced scaling question (1 Viewer)

Meldrum

Banned
HSC
I know this has been asked many a time, and I have looked into SAM and its arcana but I just keep asking myself the same question:

How come English ADV scaling is so crap?

I do Ext2 English and I still struggle with most exams, but in my other subjects - Legal Studies and Modern History, exams are incredibly easy!

Ugh, I just don't get it.​

Last edited:

drewgcn

postpantsism
HSC
Gavrillo said:
I know this has been asked many a time, and I have looked into SAM and its arcana but I just keep asking myself the same question:

I do Ext2 English and I still struggle with most exams, but in my other subjects - Legal Studies and Modern History, exams are incredibly easy!

Ugh, I just don't get it.​
You can't really call the scaling in advanced english "crap" when its average scaled mean is 31.2, whereas legal studies is ~25 and modern is 27.4...

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
Gavrillo said:
that's because standard and advanced are combined and scaled as a whole.

however if you look at the 2004 HSC aligned and scaled marks table, as drewgcn had said, you'd find that the scaled mean for advanced english itself is pretty high.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
It's true that the scaling for the combined Standard/Advanced candidature is quite average.

But within that, the Advanced students tend to be the ones getting all the high marks.

HSC
Indeed, with the different learning system, it gets very hard for a standard student to hit band 6, where its probably alot easier for a advanced student to hit band 6

my teacher said "oh no the advanced student finds it harder to hit band 6 than a standard student hitting band 6"

but a question comes to mind, then shouldnt there be at least 1000 people in the state (out of 32000) who do standard maths, that should be in advanced, that put in their best and not even 10 of them manage to hit band 6?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Can someone tell me why the scaled mean for the English courses isn't 0?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)